• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Posters, Slogans and Commercials [Merged]

For some people, I believe pride and patriotism is enough to join. Sadly though, I don't think enough people (especially in urban areas) feel proud enough to be Canadian. Just a thought based on experience from living in the "Big Smoke" all my life with people of varied cultural backgrounds. I'm of Italian descent, but I cherish and value our English traditions, and I don't believe they should be marginalised as they have been over the years so we don't offend new comers to this country...I'm Canadian, I believe in the Crown...however most children of immigrants seem to think they're allegiances lie with their mother countries. Just my thoughts.

I know lots of people who are patriotic. They ware red and white on July 1st, they have maple leaf bumper stickers on they’re cars, some have tattoos and etc...

The problem is attracting all of these people who are other wise just patriotic to a career where they can do something they have a passion for AND be patriotic by serving they’re country at the same time.

If you have mechanical abilities and like to fix/ work on things (like me) and want to serve your country, advertise the fact that you can work on Trucks, Busses, LAVs, CF 18’s, Hawks, Tutors, Hurks, and all the systems involved on a Ship. If you like to blow shit up, you can be a gunner, infantry, combat engineer, etc. Hell, if helping people on a physical level there are nurses, medics, DR’s and almost anyone involved in anything to do with a hospital. To that point, if paper work gets you off, there’s lots of jobs that has in the puzzle palaces.

My point here is that you need to advertise to everyone that almost anything that they want to do, they can do in the CF and have one hell of a life wile they’re at it. Having TV spots what show how good or exciting things can be without showing the bad wont be a first at all

funny thing about living in Canada....
because we're bombarded by the ABC, CBS, NBC, TBS & Fox networks broadcasts from across the border - we're up to the Kazoo with US Marine, NG, Reserve, CG, Navy advertising.... and no mater how much publicity the CF can throw at the media..... it ain't going to make much of an impression..... we're soooooo bored by it all.

I saw an ad for the CF on American Idol. It was awesome. At first I thought it was an ad for the American Forces. It started out with navy stuff, lots of technology things, then showed infantry stuff, rapelling, parachuting, helicoptors, all the fun stuff, then to the airforce. It was showing as much about the forces as possible in the period of time it had. Lots of action and "cool" stuff.

A very big step up from the ads (or lack of) I have seen in the years prior.

The ads for the US Army Reserve, seem to strike that balance between showing a technical trade, and then the employment of that trade on the battle field.  The one with the helicopter mechanic springs to mind.  The USMC are by far the best for inspiring patriotism and a sense of duty, they rarely if ever show action footage, but they are effective nonetheless.  I think the current one is the guy scaling the rock face with a narrator extolling the virtues of a marine (pride, professionalism, duty, honor etc.) and then when he gets to the top, he morphs into a marine wearing dress blues and with narrator reciting the slogan, as it appears.  Everytime I see that add, I want to join the USMC, and I think to myself, why can't our ads be more like that?

"I was a marketing manager before I was a baby pilot. Essentially any trade could be showcased."

That's funny. I'm in marketing.

Just remember business people came up with the whole idea of urbanization, armies and a lot of other things to protect their trade in the market place. In fact, most wars that have ever taken place (if not all) are disputes that are business related.

P.S. before deciding to return to finish Business School, I worked on machinery, operated rigs and was qualified for other things too. I just found the marketing thing funny.

I felt that they served to raise the profile of the forces to those who were interested in a respectable, challenging, professional career; these individuals may have previously discredited the military as a source of serious employment due to stereotypes propagated in commercials that appeal to adrenaline junkies, 15 year olds doing poorly in school, and people incapable of representing the Canadian Forces in a professional capacity.

What type of people are you trying to attract to the Canadian Forces? I would argue that those who join for the pride and long-term professional development will have a higher retention rate then those who join in order to get into JTF-2.

The "JTF" commando's during BMQ are the worst, they usually tend to be self centered and don't care much for teamwork unless they reap the benefits. I joined because I thought it would be an interesting career, and I'm hoping it gets better after my training is done and I've actaully got a hook.

I was part of (in) the new army commercial. It was supposed to air in Febuary but I haven't seen it anywhere.

I just saw a new advertisement this morning. It was very well done and in my opinion did a great job of encompassing a sense of adventure, opportunities to learn and pride in our forces and country. I found myself even more excited about leaving for BMQ tomorrow.

I felt that they served to raise the profile of the forces to those who were interested in a respectable, challenging, professional career; these individuals may have previously discredited the military as a source of serious employment due to stereotypes propagated in commercials that appeal to adrenaline junkies, 15 year olds doing poorly in school, and people incapable of representing the Canadian Forces in a professional capacity.

Pardon me if I'm mistaken but aren't there a lot of high school/ university/college drop-ou ts in the army> ? I don't think any formation including an airborne element could exist without the (half-mad, far too motivated, glad they're on our side) adrenaline junkies. I'm one of the university drop-outs and honestly there is an intense congregatin of ADD type people in the army. Why? because it works.

Though the commercials... I do remember being in the mess and a group of soldiers looking up at a new commercial going "wow, that's cool," then realizing it was a recruiting commercial.  Most guys interested in the army want to shoot guns, drive big trucks and blow stuff up. the rest; it willl come with time.

CommonSenseNCO said:
Pardon me if I'm mistaken but aren't there a lot of high school/ university/college drop-ou ts in the army> ? I don't think any formation including an airborne element could exist without the (half-mad, far too motivated, glad they're on our side) adrenaline junkies. I'm one of the university drop-outs and honestly there is an intense congregatin of ADD type people in the army. Why? because it works.

Actually no,

Now I hope that you are not here to stir things up.  Please keep it civil

dileas

tess

I was going to pose a cunning crafted, sarcastically lased, bitter inditement of your post. However, before penning the response I checked your profile. "Infantillery"

Hmm. I guess that says enough. If you are currently in the CF, I would suggest you discuss your enlightened point of view with your Sgt. If you are not in the CF, I would suggest that you move out of your mother's basement, finish off that Art History BA, and open up that Comic Book store that you have always dreamed of. Goodness knows we need more Wonderwoman in our lives.

Does anyone have a link to the CF commercials.  Also something I have noticed is that allot of younger people (my friends) think that the CF is a joke.  That is mainly the medias fault portraying the CF as and underbudget organization.  But what should happen in the commercial is a touch on patriotism and the rush.  I'm not in the advertising business or anything so I don't know how to make people feel patriotic but I do know how to give people and adrenaline rush as they sit there on there couch.  What the younger generation needs is fast people running around explosions, and of coarse the big thing in people these days sniping.  Now I know being a sniper is not vary realistic but it may get more people into the forces because of there dreams of being the guy with the most kills and when they arrive and go through BMQ and SIQ they may find the the army is awesome in general.  Or they my decide that well BMQ was fun and I heard some people talking about the navy or the air force why don't I check those trades out. So the switch over to what ever the navy or air force does after BMQ.  Now I'm just ranting but I believe that GuyE has a point we need more action in our trailers plus through in some patriotism.
Cabose

Actually, it sounds like the younger generation needs to go to a psychiatrist and stop watching television.

I've read several posts about the pros and cons of CF recruiting ads, no one has mentioned the history of the CF. Wouldn't a commercial that focused on the traditions of  a particular unit help? I see it as being the Canadian answer to the USMC "pride, tradition ,honour" ads. It could be a series of different units' battle honours and achievements, both reg force and reserve.If that doesn't stir up some pride in the "fence sitters" nothing will.
  SP.

Arguably, history is only popular when it is revised in some form or other, usually with the intent of making it "entertainment" as opposed to "educational". Besides, save for recruiting being handled entirely on a UNIT level, the proud and illustrious history of the ____ regiment wouldn't necessarily help recruiting within the forces as a whole.

Here's a cool ad that was posted in another thread:

http://www.army.mod.uk/linked_files/rhqpara/Clip_6_Air_Assult_30sec_EngLg_Prog.wmv

Makes me want to re-join!  ;D

Back