• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Posters, Slogans and Commercials [Merged]

Looks like she is merely continuing with the agenda she had when she was serving. ::)

It would seem my quote function failed, oh well. My comment was directed at the article MCG posted.

Hubby and I caught the tail end of this commercial while flicking channels on Friday...and I finally managed to find it online.

You guys will love this!

Read the article about it on CTV.ca here: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060913/CF_ads_060913/20060913?hub=Canada

And click on the video links in the lower right corner titled 

Canadian Forces recruiting advertisement: Fight 1 (courtesy Department of National Defence) 1:31
Canadian Forces recruiting advertisement: Fight 2 (courtesy Department of National Defence) 1:31

I like this rebuttal I saw today from a letter in The Ottawa Citizen to Lt.-Col. Shirley Robinson's ramblings.

http://server09.densan.ca/archivenews/060927/cit/060927b0.htm

PUBLICATION:  The Ottawa Citizen
DATE:  2006.09.27
EDITION:  Final
SECTION:  News
PNAME:  Letters
PAGE:  A11
BYLINE:  Lt.-Col. Christina Noble
SOURCE:  The Ottawa Citizen
ILLUSTRATION: Photo: Pat McGrath, The Ottawa Citizen / Lt.-Col. ChristinaNoble says members of the Canadian Forces, male or female, work as a team and have equal career opportunities. 
WORD COUNT:  349

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Female military personnel know their role is important

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Women aren't 'wusses,' retired colonel says as Forces focus on men, Sept. 19.

I normally would not venture into the public forum to have this type of debate. However, retired Lt.-Col. Shirley Robinson's comments have had a very personal impact. My daughter is in the process of joining the military specifically to become a medical officer. We have had many discussions about women in the military, the working environment, why I joined the military and why I'm still in uniform.

As I have explained to my daughter, I joined the Canadian Forces for several reasons. First, my salary was identical to my male colleagues -- not slightly less, not slightly more -- but exactly the same. To this day, this is not a reality enjoyed in the private sector.

An equally important reason for joining the Canadian Forces was that I identified with the beliefs and values the Canadian Forces embodies. One of the pillars of this organization is that we are a team, and to ensure continued strength, it behooves us all to be team players.

With the opportunity to speak out publicly in the media, there is an implicit and explicit responsibility to use it wisely. Lt.-Col. Robinson did not do so by stating: "You go back as far as you want, you're going to find women warriors, women in combat. We're not wusses."

We actually know that we're not wusses -- we're rather smart that way. We know that our role in the military is important and not new -- indeed, it is a fact of life.

So why are we even talking about it? Frankly, making gender an issue serves only to diminish our role in the Canadian Forces. There are many issues confronting the Canadian Forces that demand a joint effort to resolve. For instance, we are at war.

My advice to my daughter has been and will continue to be that the Canadian Forces affords all who join endless and equal opportunities to excel in an unparalleled team environment.

I speak only for myself, not for other women in uniform. But let us please stop wasting golden opportunities for meaningful, constructive commentary that would allow more positive contributions.

Lt.-Col. Christina Noble,

Ottawa

ThainC said:
And while some people have mentioned more sound might be good, I spotted this on youtube.  Found it a little while after looking up the CF Ads on there, and thought while it's a tribute... it would make a good ad, well, a long one.  Just figured it was a good video, and would toss it in here than start a new thread.

I just watched this video, and I agree that it would make a great recruiting ad (maybe chopped down a bit).  It not only depicted the reality of the need to fight, but also portrayed images implying that what we are doing is important and that we are making a difference.
Thanks for posting this link.
Shadow

OTTAWA - A retired Canadian Forces officer who advised the Canadian Rights Tribunal when it ruled in 1989 that all armed service roles, including combat, must be available to women is furious new Defence department ads focus on recruiting young men for action in Afghanistan.

YAWN,.....errrr,... what did Lt.-Col. Retired Shirley Robinson say something? Good thing it wasn't important cause I missed it. YAWN

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/cdnmilitary/women-cdnmilitary.html - Some interesting facts and statistics about women in the military.

About 15 per cent of Canadian Forces personnel are women.

About two per cent of Canadian regular force combat troops are women.

There are 99 female combat officers in the regular force.

Naturally, wether on purpose or not, the add would sway towards attracting the other 98% of recruits into the Combat Arms which are male. I don't see a problem with that, it's just the way it is and has been.

If women want to fight in the combat arms all the power to them. But my impression is that this Lt.-Col. Shirley Robinson is complaining that we are trying to recruit more males into the forces and not trying to recruit females.  The forces need more recruits and my understanding has been that more men want to join than women so doesn't it make sense to use what funds are available to recruit them if it means More recruits? i.e. more bang for your buck.

Note: not saying that we shouldn't try to recruit women but only that is it worth it to sacrifice effectiveness(of recruiting) for political correctness? I say no.

I think the new ads are outstanding and will work in recruiting new members. It's about time.

Here's the new ads...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_6vK_JSSTo

Anyone else seen these??

I saw one at Boston Pizza in Burlington tonight (albeit with no sound) and was BLOWN AWAY!

It was everything that made me proud to serve.... Fight Terror, Fight Distress, Fight Chaos, Fight with the Canadian Forces.....

man...... I felt proud to serve after watching that tonight... I only wish i could have heard the Audio soundtrack....

Though even without the sound it was a very powerfull mesage, and one that i am glad to be a part of.

any idea where i could find a copy of this on the net? (no luck on the recruiting website... go figure...  :-\ )

Regards,
  Josh

I like the videos... though they arnt perfect they are a definate baby step in the right direction...  hopefully its a start at recruiting warriors and those with a real desire to serve, versus those who want to pay for school while pushing paper...  Every Trade is important to make the Forces work, but INHO every CF member should be a soldier, Airmen or Sailor first, and their trade second.  Getting ready to go over has given me new perspective on that..... but thats another rant....

I like the videos.... to me they are bringing back a sense of pride in our jobs that the canadian public will get to see... its more direct on what we as a whole accually do. and most importantly, its finally a step in the right direction for our recruiting ads.

Cpl Thompson said:
I like the videos... though they arnt perfect they are a definate baby step in the right direction...  hopefully its a start at recruiting warriors
I like the videos.... to me they are bringing back a sense of pride in our jobs that the canadian public will get to see... its more direct on what we as a whole accually do. and most importantly, its finally a step in the right direction for our recruiting ads.
I could not disagree more.  Having some experience in advertising it, once again, looks like an ad agency pulling the wool over the clients eyes(in this case the CF).  While many here have commented that they like them the ads are not aimed at the people who belong to this site.  We already believe in the cause, know what the CF is and don't need to be recruited; we already know what the ads are depicting.

The problem is, the people that the ads need to reach are those that know very little, if anything, about what the CF does and stands for.  These ads play into the public perception that the CF is like what they see in movies, lots of combat and nothing else.  Try viewing these ads as if you knew nothing about the CF, it paints a different picture.  Even the "rescue" ad is off base.  I know that it says in small print what they are doing but it ignores the way people view advertising.  When was the last time anyone here actually paid attention to the small print in a TV ad?  If you are not actually paying close attention to it then the BC fires look like a war zone not a rescue situation.  Also, the emphasis on the word fight just adds to the perception.

These ads were obviously produced by a company that has little understanding of the difference between the American and Canadian mentality.  Numerous studies have shown that the Canadian consumer views advertising completely different than Americans and, while these ads would probably do well in the States, I very much doubt these will be effective in Canada.  I believe these ads will attract the wrong type of person to the CF, you know, the ones whose first question when they are recruited is "when do I get a rifle?" and "will I get to shoot someone?"  Are these the sort of people the CF wants? (read Fire and Ice,The United States, Canada and the Myth of Converging Values by Michael Adams for more info)

As for the value of focus groups, let's just say that in the 80's the "new" Coke was also focus grouped and look at how successful that was.

rmacqueen, if these video's are not the right direction, what is?

To me these video's certainly have room for improvement, but , I dont mind at all it's targeting the people out there who actually have an interest in getting dirty and seeing combat. I agree most people outside the CF know little about what we do, the ones that are informed generally go for the Tech job I cant pronounce and have never heard of. We need those folks. But we need trigger pullers now more then ever.

you know, the ones whose first question when they are recruited is "when do I get a rifle?" and "will I get to shoot someone?"  Are these the sort of people the CF wants?

Yep, they are. It's easier to reign someone in then to 'bump' them into the next level of a fighting mindset. Besides, I have every/some/a bit of faith in the selection process.

As far as I can tell, all advertising is about pulling the wool over our eyes, it's how successfully it works that determines good or bad commercials. It certainly beats " so do you like camping? fishing? hunting? then son the Infantry is for you"

they pulled it over my eyes

boondocksaint said:
As far as I can tell, all advertising is about pulling the wool over our eyes, it's how successfully it works that determines good or bad commercials. It certainly beats " so do you like camping? fishing? hunting? then son the Infantry is for you"

they pulled it over my eyes
I was referring to the 100's of thousands of dollars the CF would have paid an ad agency to produce what, IMO, will only increase the number of rejects the CF recruits and not attract the type of person who will want to make a career out of the forces.  If the goal was strickly to attract combat soldiers of the "give me a gun" type, what is currently happening in Afghanistan will do that, no need for to spend money on ads.

Agreed, it might do better to have ads specifically geared towards trades/arms. Instead of trying to broad brush the entire CF in 30s

Just a thought...I dont know if ppl have already brought this up. IN the video, the part which said Afghanistan, the troops are not wearing AR Cad. I know...I know... we started off there in TWs... but if they wanted to create a more convincing vid. blah blah blah... right?

I actually like the new videos. Its much more of a reality then the old 'Strong, Proud, Toda's Canadian Forces' ones dont you think?

I think the new ads are definitely better then the old one. It's not perfect but I think it'll still be effective in recruiting some guys.

To those that mentioned advertising for certain trades, I think that's a great idea. That's what the Americans do, and I think their ads are a hell of a lot more effective than ours. I'm not saying we should be like the Americans. A little more patriotism in ads wouldn't hurt either.

Carl

boondocksaint said:
Agreed, it might do better to have ads specifically geared towards trades/arms. Instead of trying to broad brush the entire CF in 30s

I really like that idea actually.Then the CF annually could look and see that they were lacking infanteers and EME(examples).So produce the video on that specific trade.Or make the ad's all about combat arms and put in a little blurb at the end telling the masses we have many other exciting jobs.

Personally I would have to say (no I don't have numbers) that most youth join the army to fight.Then those with speciality backgrounds (mechanic,plumber etc) would be actively seeking a job in that specific trade anyway.I really don't know many guys who join to not get action, adventure and travel.Therefor pushing them towards combat arms.

Even if they took the already made videos off the recruitment site and got combat camera to edit them to 30 seconds.

Back