• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Posters, Slogans and Commercials [Merged]

Look out! the Canadian public just noticed that the new adds are missing something. Never pass a fault.

Latest Canadian Forces ads omit Afghan mission

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080417.wforcesads17/BNStory/Afghanistan/?cid=al_gam_nletter_newsUp

One thought during those videos: They are really well done, but that is just too much warm and fuzzy. Just my 0.02.

Yup... the last ones were a bit "edgier"  A bit more "shock & awe"
However, between MsM coverage of the war in Afghanistan AND these ads, "Joe Public" gets the picture.

geo said:
However, between MsM coverage of the war in Afghanistan AND these ads, "Joe Public" gets the picture.

:rofl:

Yeah.....riiiiight !!!

Interesting contrast. Female Marine in martial arts pose in front of her troops... be still my beating heart:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/21/business/media/21adcol.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&ref=business&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

I love the new recruiting adds and they are great! I liked th NBP with weapons drawn, and *gasp* pointint at the naughty, naughty boys on the smuggling vessel. I also like how that one ended with shots of the seizure that occured, with a faux press conference, nice touch.

Also really liked the SAR one... We're finally getting better at this PR thing... Slowly but surely.

Why is it I get this impression that the Military had the last series put together & released on their own okie-dokie while this one had to get blessed by our political masters?

Just an impression

They don't show the army at all, and the navy and air force aren't shooting at anything... :-\

What a shock it will be when kids join up and are trained to actually fire a rifle or launch something that makes a big boom..

popnfresh said:
They don't show the army at all, and the navy and air force aren't shooting at anything... :-\

What a shock it will be when kids join up and are trained to actually fire a rifle or launch something that makes a big boom..

Not like the mission in Afghanistan and subsequent media coverage are showing our combat role at all.  ::)

Edit: Grammar

I wonder what 'brand' they are trying to convey through these wussified ads? Lots to learn...

The brand is the business

“Today more than half of the total stock market value of corporations lies in intangible assets such as brands … The brand is the business.” This statement by Shelly Lazarus, chairman and CEO of Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide at the World Effie Festival 2008, sums up why brand building is important for companies. In this climate of the brand imperative, advertising gurus converged on Singapore for the conference which celebrates advertising effectiveness.

The success of the brand is not always in the hands of the advertising agency or the corporation’s marketing department. Simon Clift, chief marketing officer of Unilever, says that the current marketing environment is more exciting now than it’s ever been. “In the old days we used to choose which brands became famous. Now consumers choose because they can tune in and tune out on their own terms, and so you have to take risks in order to be noticed. If you’re not noticed, you’re dead.”

http://knowledge.insead.edu/BrandIsTheBusiness080407.cfm

popnfresh said:

I think it's good to show that not every trade in the CF DOES launch things that make big booms. I think a bigger problem than people joining and being suprised that they will operate the C-7 is people thinking that everyone has to be a Rambo-esque individual.

I'm suprised they were even allowed to use the word "Fight" in the ads at all. Doesn't that seem a little...you know, mean?  ::)

Benny...
wait till you get to recruit school..... they give you a C7 and you ask.... wazzat for?

WRT the "mean"... "suck it up buttercup"

geo said:
Benny...
wait till you get to recruit school..... they give you a C7 and you ask.... wazzat for?

WRT the "mean"... "suck it up buttercup"

Uuuh shoulda checked my profile, I've been through Basic. And for the record, I enjoy that I got to learn basic field craft and how to operate the service rifle before I do element and trade specific training.

WRT to the "mean" comment, please note the eye-rolling smiley and off-the-charts level of sarcasm.

Edit: Upon investigation my profile did NOT say that I've done IAP, my bad. But still, you shouldn't assume.

Well, I'm underwhelmed.  I expected something much better after last year's ads.

In hindsight, I realize I sounded pretty snooty up there when I said 'you shouldn't assume'. It was a casual remark thrown without real regard for my audience. This is a casual forum, true, but my comment doesn't really reflect the respect that I have for Geo and his experience.

No harm intended.

Cheers,
Benny

I agree with RangerRay,

I just saw one of the newest ads, the one where the navy seizes a bunch of smuggled weapons and drugs and the army is rescuing a bunch of plane crash victims in the north. I am glad that many of the exciting positions in the military are being displayed, i wish that there would be more of a focus on our current active roles. A few shots of Afghanistan, maybe some troops doing parade or weapons drills at an armory for the reserves etc....

huh?... thea army saving the people up north?
would say that it's more like SAR techs & rangers... but are part of someone's active imagination

Back