• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Process

DistantHope

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello:

I'm looking to change the present and the future for myself and it's got me here to post.

I totally get that the training process is INTENSIVE. It's probably even more intensive than I already imagine it to be and the selection process is not any easier. Finding a trade is difficult when you don't even know what you want to do - I get all that. Also I read the pinned topic  "Why won't CF hire me????". I think I'll be asking really dumb questions in this thread  (some of which I'll ask my recruiter but I don't want to look entirely stupid)

I'm in "average" shape. I'm a very good runner (by average standards, probably not by military standards) and also a partial university student but I have nothing to show (i.e. no degree) and my degree would have very little to do with anything in the military. Furthermore, I've put it on hold due to personal reasons, but I'd like to resume it one day.

So with my background, how do I prepare for the physical/aptitude tests? There's no way I can lift any weights right now but is there like a "boot camp" like environment?

Thanks for any and all responses.

DistantHope said:
So with my background, how do I prepare for the physical/aptitude tests? There's no way I can lift any weights right now but is there like a "boot camp" like environment?

Wondering why you can't lift weights right now?  Anyways,  to prepare physically just run,  push ups, sit ups,  High Intensity Training.  If you can't lift weights for what ever reason you can still do body weight excercises, etc.  Google can get you a lot of excercise info, routines, etc

Boot camp like enviroment?  Do you mean like a program ran by a company/gym?  Theres a few out there,  a quick google search can find out if theres any in your area.

How to prepare for the aptitude test?  Theres a few threads on that with a lot of good info,  but it's not really a challenging test, so don't worry too much about it.  If needed, brush up on your english and math, and do some spatial ability questions.  Again,  check out the thread about the CFAT,  lots of info and sources of info and practice tests in it.

Before you start asking more questions,  search this website as well as the internet as those questions may have already been asked/answered.  Also don't be afraid to ask the recruiters any questions,  they are there to answer your questions, etc.

You seem like you are in a position where you haven't even gotten your feet wet yet. A good place to start is to go on the forces.ca website and read up on all of the trades offered, there are nice videos you can watch too. Once you think that you have found 1, 2, or 3 trades that really interest you, go speak to a recruiter for more details and on how to proceed.

As Skeletor suggested, there are plenty of topics in this forum that discuss the questions that you have posed, so just do some searching and you'll come to find a wealth of information.

And... Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the very civil responses.

Yeah, just as I posted it, I took a look at the site and I read through and looked at some of the ways to prepare for it.

When I mean I can't really do weights, I mean, my upper body strength is pathetic because I haven't really focussed on it at all. It's not that I can't physically do them - it's just that I can't do those really impressive sizes right now.

If I have any strengths, it would be lower body and I do feel that running (and quickness) is a strong suit of mine but again, undoubtedly not by military standards. I've got a smallish body size which I'm concerned about and I mostly don't know where to start. So there's probably parts of fitness testing which I'll probably do ok on and some where I would most likely fail it.

It's because of all these concerns that make me want to hold back before applying, yet at the same time, I really want to do something significant with my life.

Do any of you guys/girls go through any specific diets?

DistantHope said:
When I mean I can't really do weights, I mean, my upper body strength is pathetic because I haven't really focussed on it at all. It's not that I can't physically do them - it's just that I can't do those really impressive sizes right now.

First off, don't go to the gym to impress people. Start small, do the exercises PROPERLY, and work your way up. Just be patient.

x2. Start running 5 km, then go for 7.5 and then 10 km, and then go back to each and see if you can complete it faster. If you don't have upper body strength start using workouts that are based specially for it, like try and find someone to go with you to do pullups and you will get better.

DistantHope said:

Everyone has to start somewhere,  just because you can't lift heavy weights now doesn't mean you can't in the future.  Like AGD said,  start at a lower level you can do and over time you will gain strength and do heavier weights.  As well as know how to properly do them so you don't injure yourself.. 
It doesn't matter if you can lift an "impressive" weight or not,  just getting into the gym and improving your overall fitness is all you need.  It won't happen over night,  so you need to dedicate time to this.  As well,  don't think you need to be able to bench 300lbs in order to be in the Military,  all you need is good overall fitness, you don't need to look like a body builder.

DistantHope said:
If I have any strengths, it would be lower body and I do feel that running (and quickness) is a strong suit of mine but again, undoubtedly not by military standards. I've got a smallish body size which I'm concerned about and I mostly don't know where to start. So there's probably parts of fitness testing which I'll probably do ok on and some where I would most likely fail it.

You keep saying you feel you are a good runner,  then bash yourself by saying probably not by military standards.  Do you know what the military standards are?  If you are able to run minimal 5km in 30mins when you goto Basic Training IMO you will be alright.  As well as the other physical aspects of the test,  they are online,  find them out(push ups, situps, grip test) and see how many you can do.  Don't feel sorry for yourself about being small or not being in superman shape right now.  If you want this,  help yourself out and improve on things.  Saying you can't goto the gym because you are small and can't lift heavy weights is a poor excuse,  and you will never improve your fitness if you don't actually work out.

DistantHope said:
It's because of all these concerns that make me want to hold back before applying, yet at the same time, I really want to do something significant with my life.

If you want something,  you have to work towards it.  Also,  you wouldn't be the first smaller sized person who's wanted to join,  many people have been in your position,  and have done very well. 

DistantHope said:
Do any of you guys/girls go through any specific diets?

Some people do specific diets with a goal in mind(weight loss/gain) and others don't.  If you want to gain weight, you have to get more calories into the body,  but don't go eating fast food,  plenty of healthy ways of weight gain.  Also,  one diet might be amazing for one person,  but do nothing for you.  IMO you should probably talk to someone in the know or atleast do some research online about nutrition and different food plans, what to eat, etc  As well,  if you know anyone who goes to the gym and knows what they are doing,  see if they can help you out and get started working out.

Back