• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Red Friday rally planned for Toronto

MarkOttawa

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
Rally in Toronto to back troops
By JOE WARMINGTON, Toronto Sun, September 23, 2006

Next week, it will be our turn to see red.

And even Jack Layton is invited. Every Torontonian who cares is. No politics. We've had all we need of that. Just support for our men and women fighting for freedom.

The only requirement (and even that is optional) is to wear something red to send a message to our soldiers in Afghanistan that Canada's largest city cares. All of us. Left, right, centre. Canadians.

The momentum began yesterday in Ottawa as thousands flocked to Parliament Hill in the first pro-troop rally. Some estimates had it at 10,000. I am so proud. I knew a lot of people were solidly behind our fighting men and women.

It doesn't have to be as big, but I am hoping we can do something like that here. A lot of people have told me they didn't hear about the rally in Ottawa until my last column and they would like to show their support too.

Now many of you know I couldn't organize a drunk-up in a distillery, so if somebody wants to help do this in a bigger way, e-mail me and we'll do it.

Nothing fancy. We're just going to do our part.

Big or small, either way, I will be at Yonge-Dundas Square between noon and 1:30 p.m. next Friday wearing red and white and saying thank-you to the service men and women in Afghanistan. And thank you to those who have already died. Join me.

I know some people will show for sure. I have a lot of Toronto Police pals who have indicated they will. And I have a lot of friends in the media who said they will too.

And Sun readers are the best. I'm betting I'll see you there in droves. It would be nice to fill that square.

But even if it's just me, standing in the square alone, I'll be damned if I let the first rally in this town be the so-called anti-war crowd -- chanting for Canada to bring the troops home.

I hear they are organizing one and they certainly can have their rally and protest. Theirs will be more organized. It will probably be huge. But I am hoping it won't be first.

Now I was talking with Christine MacLean, facilities and events co-ordinator for Yonge-Dundas Square, and she said normally there is a $500 fee for the square and there must be a permit purchased and all that. Somebody's got to pay for that new dump I guess.

But I did find out the leftist-driven Car Free Day down there yesterday had its permit granted for free by city council so I am hoping this will be the case for our rally.

"Any city councillor can arrange this," she said.

The Car Free Day also managed for free to get Yonge St., from Shuter to Dundas, shut down from traffic for most of the day for play zones and a trick bicycle show. Amazing.

In other words, they have some pull. The city was behind their cause and I didn't see anybody wearing red there. Hopefully, Mayor David Miller and his pals will don red and come to this too.

But we don't need city co-operation to show we are behind the troops. The square is public, and with or without an organized effort I think we can go out there for our lunch hour, have a moment of silence and send the word back to the men and women on the ground that we are with them. Maybe some of my homeless pals can find something red to put on.

Everything we do over here helps the people over there. When you are at war and you are facing death daily, the little things mean so much.

"They look for symbols," Senator Colin Kenny, chair of the standing senate committee on National Security and Defence, said of the troops in Afghanistan.

Symbols like Prime Minister Stephen Harper going to visit them. Symbols like Layton calling for them to come home. Symbols like a bunch of Canadians just getting off their butts to let them know we over here have not forgotten them. And we will not.

So next week a lot of us will be wearing red and the military will be seeing red. A Toronto Red Friday will be the symbol. See you there.

Mark
Ottawa

Heaven forbid...

I can hear the lefy's now.

All the Ottawa people will be given a day off or more to travel to Toronto.
And all the people there will be military cause as we all know we have thousands
of reg force military deployed in an around Toronto.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this one. Is there a radio station pushing it like CFRA did in Ottawa?

GAP said:
It will be interesting to see what happens with this one. Is there a radio station pushing it like CFRA did in Ottawa?

Well.. the Toronto Sun is promoting it?? or advertising it.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few radio stations picked it up as news, thus, promoting it theory.

I hope that this receives some attention by the media types.  The Toronto Sun seems to be leading the way.  All we need now is the other papers to join in and some radio stations.  This type of event is important and should be attended by all who support our troops overseas.  I, for one, will be wearing red that day.

Cheers

CBC is reporting it, along with information about the counter-demonstrations.

Trinity said:
And all the people there will be military cause as we all know we have thousands
of reg force military deployed in an around Toronto.

Of course we do.  Remember the commercial?  Soldiers.  With Guns.  In our streets!

von Garvin: to see the truly loony and vicious left I suggest you read these posts:

Soldiers In Our Streets
http://plawiuk.blogspot.com/2006/09/soldiers-in-our-streets.html

I wore blue, green, khaki and black. I'm not wearing red for anybody.
http://thegallopingbeaver.blogspot.com/2006/09/i-wore-blue-green-khaki-and-black-im.html

Mark
Ottawa

OK, to remind us all that not all in Hogtown are left of Stalin, read this letter from today's online version of the Toronto Sun:

Nix the NDP
Re “Cheap shots from right,” (Sid Ryan, Sept. 22): Could somebody tell me where I could buy a magnetic sign for my car that has NDP with a red circle and a line through it so I can place it next to my support our troops magnetic sign.
Terry Kalyta
Bobcaygeon
(Let us know if you find one)

Any entrepeneurs out there?

Mark

Did you read all of the second blog, I think that author is very much for the Troops he may not be a Conservitive but he had some very good ideas about showing support.

Markottawa, thanks for the links. 

The Blogger said "Nope I have not lost my mind I was being provactive, just like those that organized the rally were."

I am still trying to figure out what provactive is.  I think its the same product that my ex-wife used to put on her thingy when... you know, the bread was rising.

Have gone out and bought a bunch of red dress shirts and ties.  Think that that will make a good statement.

These protesters are making me shake my head.  To support soldiers does not mean support the mission.  Its like....  Hmm interesting theory.

I wonder if those that do not support and respect police, firefighters and teachers are the same that do not believe that rules are meant for them.  Perhaps another discussion forum.

HitorMiss: You have a point but from all I know the CPC had no involvement in organizing the rally.  It really was mainly done by CFRA, Ottawa, with Lowell Green starting the ball rolling just over two weeks before after receiving e-mails from a couple of Forces' wives in Petawawa describing the Red Friday movement there.  I heard all this on his show.

As to the "impromptu" appearance by the PM, Mr Green was saying on Thursday that the PM was hoping to appear.

Trying to turn that into some insidious CPC plot is despicable.  Though of course it is hard to really separate general support for the troops from political support for the Afstan mission.  Nonetheless Messrs Graham and Dosjanh from the Liberals were there along with Peter Stoffer from the NDP (good on him).
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Editorial/527114.html

Mark
Ottawa

Although I live in the GTA, I took a vacation day to attend the rally in Ottawa.  It was heartwarming and uplifting and provided me with an opportunity to meet other military moms and wives face to face. Many that I've only know through another support website.  I wear red every Friday and I will not only be taking another vacation day to attend the one in Toronto, I've also sent an email to Joe Warmington offering to assist in any way that I can.  It really is a shame that we have to hold this kind of rally in order to show appreciation and respect for our troops and their families. But I guess this is the reality of Canada today. So please, if you can, come out and support our troops and if you can't, please wear red each and every Friday. God Bless all of our brave men and women of the Canadian Forces!!  :salute: :cdn:

Latest:

Family at heart of Rally
http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Warmington_Joe/2006/09/27/1904814.html

Things are moving ahead.

A sea of support is all we are after.

A massive sea of red is what we want the troops to see.

Friday, at noon, it will happen at Yonge-Dundas Square.

Get on board the bus because it is rolling. Judging from the e-mails and calls there will be more than a few of you wearing red and cheering on our Canadian military personnel.

It turns out we have a stage as part of this -- thanks to Greyhound Canada. "We are in support of the troops," said Brad Shephard, senior v-p of Greyhound.

With that in mind, he decided to give up their permit on the square in favour of this rally. They will hold their promotional event for a new bus at another time...

Meanwhile, the Friday Red Rally at noon at the corner of Yonge and Dundas is growing by the second. Justin Van Dette of Councillor Bill Saundercook's office has been unbelievable in his organizational skills in helping make it happen.

Same goes for Louise Gray of the Toronto Police Association, who is dealing with the media side of this. They have been putting out fire after fire. For example, when we ran into trouble needing to pay a permit fee, the association's board of directors wrote the cheque. Those are your cops, folks. Our troops here.

Special thanks also to Chief Bill Blair, who was the first person who called me when this started and said he was in -- 100%. These are good guys and we are lucky to have them.

MORALE BOOST

The media has also come through huge. They have put aside the competitive aspect of this business and have been pushing the event in a massive way. They just want the soldiers to know that people here are ready to give them a morale boost...

And from a Toronto Sun editorial, Let's show our soldiers a sea of red:
http://torontosun.com/Comment/Commentary/2006/09/28/1910960.html

Radio stations CFRB 1010, AM 640 and Q-107 deserve kudos for getting behind the Red Rally right away...

Mark
Ottawa

Anyone attending the rally tomorrow want to meet up for lunch post rally?

From the Toroton Sun today.

http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2006/09/29/1917924-sun.html

Forces will listen to Red Rally cheers on radio

Canadian forces are being given a chance in Afghanistan to hear red today -- a rousing wave of support that will rock the downtown in a giant flag-waving rally.

The 2,500 Canadian soldiers are being urged by the military brass to tune in the Red Rally cheers and best wishes when hour-long radio broadcasts start at noon from Dundas Square on CFRB and AM-640 Radio.

The Canadian Armed Forces asked for a CD recording, "which they will have at Canada House in Kandahar, for any of the troops who don't hear the broadcast," CFRB program director Steve Koch said.

"The rally will start here when it's midnight there."

The Sun is providing 500 Maple Leaf flags for people at the rally, plus a book in which they can write good wishes to be sent to the troops.

"It's not about supporting the war, it's not about partisan politics," Koch said.

"It's about supporting the men and women who have chosen to work for our country in the Canadian Forces."

As I work at home on my DL, I have my other computer listening on the Web of am 640.  Awesome: I love 21st century technology (but where's my hover-car?)

Glad to hear that the troops will be able to listen/watch as well

:cdn:

Its good to see that much support from the media, even if it is the Sun.  Other news outlets should take example.  I will be there at noon, wearing red and showing support.

Cheers

Back