• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reg NWO to Reserve Infantry

Reaction score
Does anyone know how difficult/realistic it would be to switch from being a Reg force NWO to an infantry reservist?

Would I be able to do a VOT type thing within the armed forces or would I have to attempt a VR and then rejoin in the reserves?

I joined as an NWO in the reg force and after completing NWO II have begun to have second thoughts about it.
Specifically I feel the amount of time away from home in this trade is not in line with my life goals. (Starting a family)
Added to that, I didn’t enjoy the small taste of bridge watch keeping we got in the simulator and watching the fully trained NWOs in action on our sea phase.

However, I still wish to serve my country and give something back in return for the time and money the CAF has put into me thus far, hence wondering about the possibility of the reserves since they’d also give me more control over my career/personal life.

I understand about the family issue. We've all had to deal with it, some better than others. My kids (Millennials) seem to be well adjusted.

I am curious as to your observations of the fully trained NWO's? That they seemed to know what they are doing? Trust me, we all wondered how we were going to perform at the level of the OFP (fully trained) watchkeepers when we walked on the bridge of a ship for the first time.

They certainly did know what they were doing, it was incredibly impressive. Ducking and weaving a frigate around a mine field of fishing floats like it was nothing. They were also very helpful to those of us on the course, often going out of their way to explain something or give us an experience they thought may be beneficial.
The issue is, it really hammered home that I don’t feel like I have the math and short term active memory involved in BWK in my skill set. Perhaps more importantly being on the bridge and in the sim hasn’t made me want to work on developing those skills. I don’t think the lifestyle required of a junior NWO is really something I’d enjoy and it’s a long road for something your heart isn’t really in.
I’m not fully decided on staying or leaving yet but these are the thoughts that have been running through my head now I’ve actually had a taste of NWO.

Ahoy,

I can speak to this as we have a HOD qualified NWO transfer to my PRes Infantry unit in Halifax.

The PLAR process to recognize past skillsets was detailed, but did not grant anymore than just basic training. NWO skills and knowledge are very different from those required by a Platoon leader in the Army.

As a result, the member had to do BMOQ and is now on DP 1.1 in Gagetown.

You will, literally, start from scratch.

Best regards,

NS

Ahoy,

I can speak to this as we have a HOD qualified NWO transfer to my PRes Infantry unit in Halifax.

The PLAR process to recognize past skillsets was detailed, but did not grant anymore than just basic training. NWO skills and knowledge are very different from those required by a Platoon leader in the Army.

As a result, the member had to do BMOQ and is now on DP 1.1 in Gagetown.

You will, literally, start from scratch.

Best regards,

NS

But it's worth it because: Infantry!!!! ;)

Civil War Movie GIF by euronews

On the other hand, because he was HOD qualified, they brought him over as a Captain...so....he was doing his BMOQ as a Captain.

Good fun!

Back