• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regina rifles hat pin exchanged for Dutch dime bracelet...

Trudy

Inactive
Reaction score
Can you help me ? My parents lived in the Netherlands during WW11 and they often told the story about how 2 Canadian soldiers came to thier home one evening. My parents lived in the small village of Tuk which was very close to Steenwijk,in the Netherlands.(Steenwijkerwold). My mom says that I should also mention the name of the largest city in the area as she thinks that might help. The name of the city closest to them was Zwolle.

My father was a woodenshoe maker, the only one in the area and the Canadain soldiers had set up thier tents in a field behind thier home. One evening two young Canadian soldiers came to visit them. They brought  with them tea, sugar and soap. Mom remembers that they sat at the table in the kitchen and drank wine with our family. It was a wonderful evening even though my parents could not speak English.That is why she does not know the names of her visitors. One of the soldiers gave my mother his hat pin and my Mother gave him a bracelet of Dutch dimes. The evening pasted quickly and before they knew it , it was too late for the soldiers to go back to the tent(curfew I think ) so they slept in the attic of my parents home. At 7 am Mom and Dad woke up and found that the soldiers had left. At that time my parents had no idea that they would eventually immigrate to Canada. They have now lived here since 1954. My father passed away in 1999 at the age of 87 but my Mother is still living and in very good health. She is now 93 years old. She still has that Regina Rifle Regiment hat pin and we often take it out and look at it.. wondering who was this gentleman who shared a part of our parents lives. Mom thinks it would be so wonderful to learn more this special person.

I am writing this in the hope that someone might remember this event or that someone has heard about this story. Wouldn't it be a wonderful gift for my mom to be able to tell her that we found her Canadian soldier !!! Looking forward to you responses and keeping my fingers crossed.

That is an amazing story! I could see that being put into a movie... All you would have to do is tack on some poor love story and you would have it! I think the best way is to call the regiement history director. Goodluck!

I suspect Keith Inches of the Saskatchewan Military Museum may have some answers; if someone can provide contact info for the Royal Regina Rifles, perhaps they can get in touch with him?

Wow....THANKS !!! I am very happy to have someone respond to my story.... I have spent so much time searching webpages with not much success.. now I have some new leads.. the search continues.

Michael Dorosh... I will try this week to find a phone number or e-mail for Keith Inches of the Saskatchewan Military Museum. Thanks for that suggestion.

Biernacki.... Do you have any idea how to locate the Regiment history director?

As you have probably already figured out.. Trudy has no military back ground at all so your suggestions are much appreciated. I will let you know if I learn anymore. Yes it is a great story.. it just needs an ending...Keep smilin .. thanks lots !!

Have you check thier website...

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/na-canada/volmil/sk-inf/095Regina.htm

may also hold contact info

there is also this site for them as well... http://www.army.dnd.ca/ROYAL_REGINA_RIFLES/

Thanks for your response "Bin-Rat". Yes I have tried these two web-pages.. no luck yet. Keep your fingers crossed for me.....!!

Trudy

I work at the Regina Armouries and I will pass on the information to Keith Inches.

When I get a reply from him I will send it to you.

Cheers :cdn:

Trucker 935... Just read your post... gave me goosebumps...thanks !!!!

Last night I located Keith's phone number at the armouries and I was planning to give him a call today... but now I will wait till I hear back from you.

I am so glad that you guys are helping me.... I know it may be like finding a needle in a haystack... but I am willing to make the effort.  Guess you could call this my little battle....  One thing for sure.. I will know lots about the Royal Regina Rifles by the time I complete this little adventure.

Thanks again... !!!

Trudy

I passed a copy of your request to Keith Inches on Friday 10 Dec 04. What he told me after he read it is that he will pass it on to the Regina Rifles Assoc. to see if anyone was there or can remember who was there and the individual involved.

He also told me that it may take some time to get the information passed around but, he told me that he would keep me updated.

So when I get some information I will post it here.

Cheers

:cdn:

Hi trucker935
Thanks for talking to Keith for me. When you see Keith again please thank him.I hope that there is enough info in that little story I wrote to refresh someones memory. If he thinks that more info is required then I would be happy to give it to him. It is very exciting that the story is getting passed on to the people who might know something..am keeping my fingers crossed.
Hope you have a Merry Christmas and All the Best for 2005... will keep in touch.. THANKS !!!! Trudy :)

Trudy, Here is a message from Steenwijk. Just like you I am searching for many years for a much beloving  Canadian friend of my parents who was in Steenwijk in april 1945 by the liberation of Steenwijk.At that time there were several Canadian groups in Steenwijk, one of them was the Regina Rifles How do you know that your Canadian was a Regina Rifle? The pin of Biernacki is not from the Reginas but from the Artillery. If have more information about the Reginas Rifles in Steenwijk for you.
I would  appreciate it that you send me your answer to my  e-mail adress and give me your name and adress in Tuk at that time. So we can give more private information to each other
I hope to here from you soon.
Elly May

Hi Elly
Sorry to take so long in answering you. We were away on vacation. I will e-mail you tonight.
Look forward to hearing from you too.
Thanks Trudy

Wow, thats all I can type right now.
I just wish I could help in some way.
I sincerely hope that both of you ladies find the gentlemen you are seeking.

Hi Blakey'
Thanks for your good wishes.. we hope we find them too. Keeping our fingers crossed!! If we learn anything I will be sure to post a message here so that everyone knows what is happening with this little adventure.
Have a good one !
Trudy

Hi all ...  :)
It is me again ... I know I have been away from this post for a long time .. but my life has now settled again and I find I have a little time to continue with my search for my Mom's Canadian soldier .  I hope some of the new comers on the forum will re read this story and maybe it will spark a few responses .
I have contacted the Regina Rifles and have never heard back from them .. I think it is time again to reach out and see what they can do for me . In the mean time if any of you have any informatin that might shed light on my search .. I would love to hear from you ..
Thanks again .. enjoy the story.. Mom is now 95 1/2 years old and sharp as a tack .. so this little dream of finding her soldiers is still posible ...onward I go !!
Thanks all  :)

Near the end of WW2 the Regina Rifles were camped behind my Mother and Father's home in the Netherlands. They lived near Steenwijk and my father was a wooden shoe maker. Two soldiers came to their home and gave them tea and chocolate and stayed and visited . My mother gave one soldier a bracelet of Dutch dimes and that soldier gave my mom the pin from his hat . In 1954 my family immigrated to Canada. Over the years we have tried to find My mom's Canadian soldier. My Mother is still alive at 99 years old and she is doing very well. SHe has kept the pin all this time. She still wonders if we will ever be able to learn anything about this man . I have tried here before but I am back in search again .
Hope this story rings a bell somewhere .
Thanks
Trudy .

wow what a story, I'll bump this thread up to the top of the unread posts list , to try and get this out. I hope you find the soldier(s)    Good luck.

Trudy, I've sent you a private message looking to put you in contact with a past Commanding Officer of the Regina Rifle Regiment.  He might be able to assist you in finding out more information about your Regina Rifleman.  As it turns out, my grandfather was a company commander in the Johns (a.k.a. "Farmer Johns", the nickname for the Regina Rifles) and the past CO was very helpful in providing my mother and I with invaluable information about my grandfather's time in the Rifles, from the landing at D-Day to their participation in liberating the Nederlands.

Regards
G2G

Wow, small freakin' world!  My Mom had a dutch dime bracelet that we think was given to her by an accquaintance in England during the war while she was in the CWAC.  She passed away in 04 but I will try to get some more info out of my sisters cause I'm the baby of the family.
BTW  she knew several members of the RR as she was from SK as well.  I'll root through her old pics too.
Bern

Back