• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same boat as you Richard, I'm coming straight outta high school Hoping my  Hockey career can pay off and high school sports, with some volunteer hours piled on that.

Richard P said:
I am going to be applying in September.

My lack of work experience is what worries me the most about my application. I just hope that my volunteer experience and extra-curricular activities make up for it.

That seemed to be the same case for me. I had no work experience when applying although I was still accepted. As you stated, my extra-curricular activities and volunteering apparently made up for it according to my MCC (although I'm sure that one's acceptance would depend on much much more factors). However, as a Warrant Officer at the recruiting centre advised me, it's best to be as well-rounded as you can. As to what being well-rounded means, I'll let you decide what that is.

scriptox said:
That seemed to be the same case for me. I had no work experience when applying although I was still accepted. As you stated, my extra-curricular activities and volunteering apparently made up for it according to my MCC (although I'm sure that one's acceptance would depend on much much more factors). However, as a Warrant Officer at the recruiting centre advised me, it's best to be as well-rounded as you can. As to what being well-rounded means, I'll let you decide what that is.
Thanks for the information.

I have a question for you: how much time did you spend per week on extra-curricular activities and volunteering? Right now, I spend around 21 hours a week doing competitive road cycling, 10 hours running, and about 8 hours volunteering at a local hospital.

Well, to be honest, although quantity of extra-curricular activities and volunteering is important, in my opinion, the type of work you do is equally if not more important. During my high school career I didn't volunteer or do extra-curricular activities merely to rack up hours. I participated in these activities because I wanted to learn something from them. I took up various leadership roles because I wanted to learn exactly that: leadership. I wanted to learn skills that I can apply to my life in the future.

Now with that said, to answer your question, my time spent per week engaging in such activities would normally not exceed 10 hours.

Quality vs. Quantity

Just some food for thought.

(Although, I could be completely wrong.. maybe the recruiting centres are looking for quantity.. I have no clue what they truly look for). 

scriptox said:
Well, to be honest, although quantity of extra-curricular activities and volunteering is important, in my opinion, the type of work you do is equally if not more important. During my high school career I didn't volunteer or do extra-curricular activities merely to rack up hours. I participated in these activities because I wanted to learn something from them. I took up various leadership roles because I wanted to learn exactly that: leadership. I wanted to learn skills that I can apply to my life in the future.

Now with that said, to answer your question, my time spent per week engaging in such activities would normally not exceed 10 hours.

Quality vs. Quantity

Just some food for thought.

(Although, I could be completely wrong.. maybe the recruiting centres are looking for quantity.. I have no clue what they truly look for).
You make a very valid point; however, my question came from the ROTP Academic Admissions Questionnaire where they ask how many hours per week you devote to: homework, employment, sports and fitness activities...etc.

Although, I will take up your advice and try to diversify my activities.

Was proud and pleased to attend swearing in of son yesterday at Toronto Recruiting Centre.  Also Officer Cadets from Barrie and surrounding area.    47 sworn in with only 4 civilian university.  Almost 60% were for engineering.

They advised that there were approximately 350 across the country this year which seems to be reduced from previous. Were told that between 20-30 thousand individuals made inquiry..... about 10,000 applications and 350 spots.

Son now on leave without pay until August 8th at which time he reports to Kingston.  To say the least he is extremely pleased and looking forward to RMC and meeting many of you that were accepted.

As the Co stated ... you are the best of the best.

Hello everyone!

Last week I was looking through the joining instructions for RMC St. Jean and I had not found anything inquiring about whether or not students are to bring school supplies to the school or if it is provided. This week I've read mixed comments on the ROTP 2012-2013 facebook group where some are bringing it to be prepared and others are stating that since it wasn't on the kit list we'll likely be able to purchase it from the CANEX.

Any current RMC students out there like to share their first year experiences to help us prepare? It would greatly be appreciated.

-Phobos  :cdn:

I'm going to saint jean as well and although I haven't been in RMC before, I have been in the army for five years and I would suggest that you come prepared. Don't show up expecting anything other than exactly what you have been told.  :2c:

I recommend you bring along some basic school supplies. A notebook, pens, pencils, loose leaf sheets, etc. I'm unsure what RMC/CMR does for supplies theses day, but a few years ago they would issue you a Staples $100 gift card for you to buy your own.

While nearly every student will have a laptop, when I attended a few years ago, they were only sparingly used in the classroom. While there aren't any rules against laptop use, in 3rd and 4th year classes sizes are small and students spend much of the time interacting with professor.

Even 1st year classes will only have 60-80 students maximum for the general psychology, economics and math courses. Someone pounding away on a laptop taking notes can be quite distracting to those around (at least in my opinion).

I finally got in touch with the ROTP clerk at CFRC Det Hamilton and he informed me that school supplies will be provided.

Just found out on Monday that I got an acceptance to RMC as an Aerospace Engineer. There were only 2 top up offers in Halifax. Nothing like waiting till the last minute haha. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks time and to get things going!

Phobos said:
I finally got in touch with the ROTP clerk at CFRC Det Hamilton and he informed me that school supplies will be provided.

My Child is a student at RMC having joined the school last year.  I would strongly suggest being prepared with the school supplies you need as they were not given any school supplies until second term in January last year.  During FYOP first years are not able to leave the school to get supplies either.

CFmom said:
My Child is a student at RMC having joined the school last year.  I would strongly suggest being prepared with the school supplies you need as they were not given any school supplies until second term in January last year.  During FYOP first years are not able to leave the school to get supplies either.

If I may ask, did your child attend RMC Kingston or RMC St. Jean? I'm told that the joining instructions for each institution are different from one another.

Thanks in advance.

RMC Kingston.  In january they received binders, pens,pencils, stapler and other supplies.  But we purchsed and sent all the supplies need  to start the year which was a good thing because Obstacle course weekend was the first time the first years were allowed to leave the school grounds.  Plus they were just way to busy to have an opportunity to shop for supplies. 

School supplies-

At RMC, first years were given the chance to purchase school supplies from the Canex before classes began.  You will not be permitted to leave campus so your selection will be limited, and quantities are also limited.  The Canex ran out of paper before I had a chance to get any, so your best bet is to arrive with the basics- writing utensils, notebooks/binders with paper, etc.  You will at some point have an opportunity to order/purchase school supplies with funding provided by the school-  in years past, there have been Staples gift cards.  Lately everyone just writes up an order sheet off of an item list.  These supplies are not always particularly prompt in arriving so you better make sure you have your own stuff to work with before you get here.

Most profs have no problem with laptops in class.  Some teachers prefer you don't use them, or will insist that you use them only for note-taking and might ask you to put them away if they don't deem it an appropriate time to be taking notes or if you seem to be playing games instead.

I use my laptop for many classes.

jwtg said:
School supplies-

At RMC, first years were given the chance to purchase school supplies from the Canex before classes began.  You will not be permitted to leave campus so your selection will be limited, and quantities are also limited.  The Canex ran out of paper before I had a chance to get any, so your best bet is to arrive with the basics- writing utensils, notebooks/binders with paper, etc.  You will at some point have an opportunity to order/purchase school supplies with funding provided by the school-  in years past, there have been Staples gift cards.  Lately everyone just writes up an order sheet off of an item list.  These supplies are not always particularly prompt in arriving so you better make sure you have your own stuff to work with before you get here.

Most profs have no problem with laptops in class.  Some teachers prefer you don't use them, or will insist that you use them only for note-taking and might ask you to put them away if they don't deem it an appropriate time to be taking notes or if you seem to be playing games instead.

I use my laptop for many classes.

Remember / pause to think about the environment you are about to enter into.  Yes.  While at RMC you may enjoy all the extravagances of the new technological generation without any concerns or restrictions.  However, you may, while on other CF Crses, run into situations where the CF will issue you electronic devices that will have very stringent restrictions on them that will include not using any (Non-DND) personal or outside electronic devices, connections, software, etc. 

slight hijack, does anyone know if on my ETP message it said ROTP SR (senior) because I am enrolled as a mature student?

Refers to the number of years of subsidized education you require to complete your degree.  If you were a Jr, you'd be going to RMC St. Jean for 2 years before 3 in Kingston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back