• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chernoble said:
In some trades, especially ones that don't do CAP or similar type training (Air Force types come to mind) I find that RMC can produce a superior product when it comes to a young officer versus DEO and CEOTP.

Obviously this is very broad brush but it is my experience.
I want to avoid the classic thread-ending Civ U/DEO/RMC debate (which inevitably leads to the trendy 'f/utility of MilColl' debate), but I do wonder why you make a distinction between occupations which do CAP vs. those who don't?

The best students at RMC are found in a variety of occupations, and the army is no exception; I would think there is no difference in the quality of an RMC RCAF Officer versus Army, beyond the differences between the individuals themselves.

jwtg said:
The best students at RMC are found in a variety of occupations, and the army is no exception; I would think there is no difference in the quality of an RMC RCAF Officer versus Army, beyond the differences between the individuals themselves.

I completey agree that the students from any trade or branch from RMC are of high quality for the most part.  The distinction I am making between ones that take CAP or CAP type training ( I have no idea what the Navy does ) is that on those courses, they are taught how to lead and manage people, to some extent. 

In RMC, you are usually given opportunities in your tenure to do the same, if for some reason there is no other training beyond BOTC 1 and 2.  Someone getting in through DEO or CEOTP that are not given the opportunity for leadership or management courses and/or experience tend to be lacking in those departments unless lucky enough to have those skills naturally.

It's not a shot, it's what I have experienced working in the Army and Air Force.

Perhaps less freedom than a Civy U student (ROTP or DEO), and notwithstanding the real or perceived benefits of an RMC degree or ex-Cadet links, the Future Value of the additional pensionable years is not insignificant.  It may not be on someone's mind at the beginning of their career, but it gains more heat and light as one's career progresses.

OZ, years ago ('86 IIRC, possibly '87), back when the degree convocations was several days before the commissioning (and start of obligatory service), CIL bought out the tuition re-payments of the entire Chen Eng class and hired them en masse.  I don't know of an internal DND payout.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
Perhaps less freedom than a Civy U student (ROTP or DEO), and notwithstanding the real or perceived benefits of an RMC degree or ex-Cadet links, the Future Value of the additional pensionable years is not insignificant. It may not be on someone's mind at the beginning of their career, but it gains more heat and light as one's career progresses.
True.  This is true of Civ U and RMC, and believe me, I'm well aware of the implications of being able to enroll at 17/18 and retire at 42/43 with a 25 year military pension.  There is a huge benefit to having your study time count as pensionable service; many people retire and pursue second careers.  The E-veritas (RMC online magazine) lists, every week, ex-cadets and what they're doing now.  A lot of them are surprisingly successful and surprisingly young, so I very much value the 'added value' of attending RMC, even if it is (currently) lost on some of my peers.
OZ, years ago ('86 IIRC, possibly '87), back when the degree convocations was several days before the commissioning (and start of obligatory service), CIL bought out the tuition re-payments of the entire Chen Eng class and hired them en masse.  I don't know of an internal DND payout.

Regards
G2G
This is the 'golden handshake' we hear about; private firms buying out the financial obligations of engineering grads.  I have never heard of government buy-outs for RMC grads.

Chernoble said:
I completey agree that the students from any trade or branch from RMC are of high quality for the most part.  The distinction I am making between ones that take CAP or CAP type training ( I have no idea what the Navy does ) is that on those courses, they are taught how to lead and manage people, to some extent. 

In RMC, you are usually given opportunities in your tenure to do the same, if for some reason there is no other training beyond BOTC 1 and 2.  Someone getting in through DEO or CEOTP that are not given the opportunity for leadership or management courses and/or experience tend to be lacking in those departments unless lucky enough to have those skills naturally.

It's not a shot, it's what I have experienced working in the Army and Air Force.
I think I get what you were saying; I read your initial post as saying that CAP-trained RMC grads were sub-par compared to RCAF/RCN RMC grads, when what you actually mean is that most officers who do CAP get the opportunity for leadership training/experience, while those who miss out on both CAP/BMOQ-L & RMC don't get the equivalent experience in their studies.

I guess my philosophy with RMC is that everything is there to make you a good officer - quality education, excellent fitness facilities, long-term second language training, and practical management/quasi-leadership experience day-in and day-out.  Most importantly, daily contact with officers/NCOs provide many good and bad examples of leadership and officership, which an astute O/NCdt will use to hone their own leadership skills.

The real ingredient that leads to producing a good officer, though, is a good candidate, with a strong work ethic and good professional values.  Such a candidate could become a good officer regardless of entry plan, but I guess has more to work with when going to RMC vice a Civ U (which has produced the likes of Gen. (Ret.) Hillier).

jwtg said:
I guess my philosophy with RMC is that everything is there to make you a good officer - quality education, excellent fitness facilities, long-term second language training, and practical management/quasi-leadership experience day-in and day-out.  Most importantly, daily contact with officers/NCOs provide many good and bad examples of leadership and officership, which an astute O/NCdt will use to hone their own leadership skills.

This.

Artillery Officer is one of my choices, although I applied for ROTP, not RETP or DEO as a Reservist.

Just got a call from CFRC Barrie and I've been offered a position at RMC! Going for artillery officer!  I'm extremely excited, it almost feels like I won the lottery.

Hello, for those like me who demand a CT and they have made a request to go to the CivU, here is a response from Capt. XXXXX ( I wrote to her if she have news about result.)

I have some but not for CIVU, I hope to have them by mid May. 

Bonne journée !
J-P

Mod edit: I doubt that the good Captain would appreciate her full contact details being shared here, especially if you did not have her permission.

When I had my interview I was also told that I would know if I had been selected for ROTP at civ U in may -June.

I just called the CFRC Rimouski, they said that they only recieved an offer for the junior ROTP. I'm applying for a CT in the ROTP at the RMC or at a CivU, so do you know if that mean that I wasn't selected?

Willy450 said:
I just called the CFRC Rimouski, they said that they only recieved an offer for the junior ROTP. I'm applying for a CT in the ROTP at the RMC or at a CivU, so do you know if that mean that I wasn't selected?

Laisse toi encore du temps, mon commis m'a dit que ça arrivait en "batch". Moi si j'ai rien eu vendredi je vais appeler pour voir si la première ronde est terminée.

I'm kind of in the same boat, I received a call from my CFRC (Ottawa), saying I would be doing first year at CMR and final 3 at RMC. However to complicate things, I just received a letter from DnD stating that I was to do all 4 years at CMR, anyone else in the same boat/ know which I should believe?

ublmeister said:
I'm kind of in the same boat, I received a call from my CFRC (Ottawa), saying I would be doing first year at CMR and final 3 at RMC. However to complicate things, I just received a letter from DnD stating that I was to do all 4 years at CMR, anyone else in the same boat/ know which I should believe?

That's impossible, St-Jean only offers CEGEP 1 and CEGEP 2 (Equivalent to the first year of university in English universities.) Unless they hired faculty staff overnight, I doubt you'll spend 4 years at St-Jean.

Got the call today! Artillery Officer at St. Jean! I'm beyond ecstatic. Can't wait to meet all of you, and I look forward to serving with you!
Cheers,
Prosper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back