• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
My thing with regards to RMC, is that if I knew for sure that I‘d go reg force after, and be a career officer, I‘d take the opportunity. But I‘ve got a lot going for me in civilian life too, so I might just stick with the reserves afterwards. My university has one of the best engineering programs in Canada, and has lots of student projects that I know for a fact aren‘t at RMC (UofA is the only Canadian entry for the one I joined this year, and already got a leadership/organizational position in it) And, as with Enfeild, I enjoy civie university.

I want to be an NCM for now mainly because I‘d rather do that right now than be an officer.

And gunner, I realise that I‘m naive (can you mention anyone my age who genuinley isn‘t?) and have posted some stupid things that I haven‘t thought through. Does that say a lot about who I am? a bit, maybe. The fact is, though, that I‘m a lot different on the board than I am regularly.. I dont‘ think things through so much here, because it doesn‘t really matter. If I come accross as indescisive/incapable of making a descision, it‘s becasue I have a ton of options, and want to chose the best.. If theres no rush, I take my time making important descisions. And when I make a descision, I stick with it and don‘t look back. If I have to make a descision quickly, then I‘ll make it quickly. I respect your opinion, and can undertand where it comes from based on my previous posts, but I if you really knew me your opinion would be different.

Standing outside the Gagetown gym on the first day of Phase 2, waiting to go in and do the PT test, I was standing there along with a few hundred Ocdts. The mosquitos were out and biting as they usually are that time of year. Standing next to me was a female armoured Ocdt from RMC. My ideas of RMC Officers being what they‘re supposed to be went out the window when she started complaining about how she‘s a leader so the staff couldn‘t make her stand outside and get bit by the bugs. She was shocked by it. I think she got top candidate Phase 2 armoured.

I‘m not hot **** or anything but I was pretty surprised at the quality of RMC ocdts. They sure were good at making beds and polishing boots though.

A friend of mine has a cousin going there (don‘t we all know someone at RMC) who said that around this time last year they had to kick something like 50 cadets out of the school. Whether it was for disciplinary reasons or because they failed to meet standards I can‘t remember (I think it was the latter). Anyway, they were asked a few weeks later if they would like to come back because the school simply needed the people. I gues they (were?) having trouble getting people to go there.

Just another story. It‘s really my only RMC story, other then the fact that I know people who applied to go there but couldn‘t get in simply because they we allergic to some kinds of foods (like fish and eggs). They wanted to be pilots.

There‘s an article on RMC and military education in the Canandian Military Journal, on the DND website. Last time I was at the RMC website there were also some articles on there.
I still regard RMC as a recruiting tool, not an officer-building institution. "free university" is something most civilians have heard about.
Somehow the British manage to get by without a military undergrad program... I believe that a program of scholarships and bursaries linked to reserve and regular service is the way to go.
With RMC we have 25% of officers with 4 years of military undergrad education - and the rest with Phase training, which as far as I know doesn‘t cover very much of the academic side. Incorporate one year of military academia into Phase training if it‘s so important to have all officers academically qualified.

Yeah, it works out that I get a much better education where I am right now, and my education must come first anf foremost. I‘ve already been making a name for myself here, so I‘ve got good opportunities to get into assiting with research... Plus, I‘m joining the reserves, and will get military training/experience that way.

I‘ve heard alot of people talking about going to coledge/university and being in the reserves at the same time. Does anybody know if you can do this if your going to RMC?

NO!
RMC is Reg Force.. they have their own **** to do... like underage drinking in Halifax...

Actually, the answer is yes.

At least, it used to be.

There is (was?) a program called RETP (Reserve Entry Training Plan) which is the reserve version of ROTP (Regular Officer Training Plan).

Those accepted under RETP are sworn in as reserve Officer Cadets, attend Royal Military College -- but they must pay their own way. No free tuition. They attend the same regular force phase training during the summer as do the ROTP types.

I don‘t know if this program still exists. It‘s possible that it bought the biscuit when RRMC and CMR were collapsed into Kingston.

Somebody here may know.

I stand corrected. Towhey is, of course, correct. My apologies, SOF.

Happy new Year!

Just checked the RMC website and, it appears that RETP does still exist.

Find details here: http://www.rmc.ca/admission/rmcretp.html

Thanks for the info, and does anybody know if when you enrole in RMC do you have to get a bachelor degree in something or can you just go for the training as an officer. Just wondering this because I don‘t really want to learn anything but want to say I graduated form coledge. :D

Originally posted by towhey:
[qb] I don‘t know if this program still exists. It‘s possible that it bought the biscuit when RRMC and CMR were collapsed into Kingston.

Somebody here may know.[/qb]

It did, but not officially. Following the closing of RRMC and CMR, no new recruits were taken into this for a brief period of time. My source on this is graduates from the past few years who have obseved the absence and then reappearance of reserve cap badges at RMC.

Originally posted by Soldier of Fortune:
[qb]Just wondering this because I don‘t really want to learn anything but want to say I graduated form coledge. :D [/qb]

Maybe you should reconsider your motives for pursuing this path.

What I meant by that was I don‘t want to go to school anymore and learn things like engeneering, I think it would be cool if RMC had a basic field officer course where they would teach you battle srtategy and things such as that and graduate with that.

Do a litle more reading about RMC. There are required military-affairs courses, as well as, I believe, a whole degree program in strategy and military studies or something like that.

I must say this RETP thing has peaked my interest in RMC again....hmm...

Does anyone know of any other nations that operate an undergrdauate military university?

Yes under the arts there is miliatry and stratigic study, however instead of being in the classsroom doing that I would rather be in the field. Also do Officers do QL courses?

SoF,
If you want a degree, you will have to spend the time in class like everybody else. Your only other option is to respond to those obnoxious junk Emails offering "instant degrees from unacredited universities." But that won‘t even serve as a decent replacment for TP when the roll runs out.

Originally posted by Enfield:
[qb]Does anyone know of any other nations that operate an undergrdauate military university?[/qb]

Yes, the Americans have one.

Originally posted by Soldier of Fortune:
[qb]What I meant by that was I don‘t want to go to school anymore and learn things like engeneering, I think it would be cool if RMC had a basic field officer course where they would teach you battle srtategy and things such as that and graduate with that.

[ 03 January 2002: Message edited by: Soldier of Fortune ][/qb]

An officer (or a non-com for that matter) is utterly useless without at least rudimentary knowledge of political science, world affairs, and other university subjects ... particularly if they are planning to be a pilot or something, where they will also need a strong sciences background. It is essential (keep in mind I am speaking not from a position of personal experience, but of association with others) that every officer understand the where‘s and why‘s and who‘s and what‘s of their job.

They must lead soldiers and accomplish the overall "mission" they are assigned. They must know why they are doing it, where they fit in, and how the mission will be accomplished.

A soldier on the other hand, needs only to know enough to do what is required of him in playing his part to accomplish that mission, and, if he is in a position of authority over others, how to manage, motivate and lead other soldiers so that the officer is best able to use their skills elsewhere.

So, in short, if you want to be an officer, it makes sense that you get an education. Considering a good number of soldiers also have college or better, it‘s even more important to at least seem as smart or smarter than they are. After all, no one will gleefully obey an idiot.

portcullisguy

I think, SoF, that your running into the distinction between offciers and NCM‘s. Officers decide how and where to apply the violence, and the NCM‘s apply it. In combat, an officer should not have to fire a shot - he has more important things to do.

No, O‘s do not do QL courses - though officer training is the same as doing QL2, 3, QL4 Recce, MG, JNCO, and QL6B - plus more. An Officer‘s job description does not include digging trenches, firing MG‘s, kicking down doors, etc. O‘s do not wear qualification badges, nor, I believe, do they wear marskmanship awards.
However, as an example, my Coy Commander, ex-PPCLI, wears a Ranger tab, Military Freefall, and the French Commando badge. So there is room for some fun stuff as a junior officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back