• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Relationships in the Military

JDG

Inactive
Reaction score
My boyfriend and myself will be joining the military. He will become Medical Technician and I am stuck between Medical Technician and Nursing officer, leaning towards Medical Technician as well.  I'm just curious as to the military's view on relationships between two people joining and being in the military. Are there any rules set for those in a relationship with fellow soldiers?

Also seeking advice about becoming a Med Tech / Nursing Officer, just curious as to which would seem a better fit for myself, a reference link to the proper category would be great.

But yes, any information on relationships in the military would be great.

Thanks.

The military will attempt to post you together however, there are no guarantees. The CFs needs take priority.

There are lots of service couples in the military so yes it is allowed.

***edit*** Sorry, missed the boyfriend/girlfriend bit..it's as Technoviking says below.

If you are simply boyfriend and girlfriend, they won't give a fiddler's fuck.  Get married prior to joining if you want the CF to consider posting you to the same base.

As for Med Tech/Nursing Officer for you, I haven't a clue, so no advice there for you.  Sorry.

So suppose if you were to get married while a member. They would, after married, attempt to post you together I assume? You aren't basically "SOL" if you join while only dating rather then married ? Or as soon as you become married there is an attempt to be posted together?

No worries, if you by some chance think of an appropriate section for talking of Nursing Officer or Medical Technician talk do let me know!

JDG said:
But yes, any information on relationships in the military would be great.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=001303416948774225061%3Aqhcx9pz3dku&ie=UTF-8&q=relationships&sa=Search&siteurl=www.google.com%2Fcse%2Fhome%3Fcx%3D001303416948774225061%3Aqhcx9pz3dku&ref=&ss=3397j1033827j13#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=relationships&gsc.page=1

JDG said:
So suppose if you were to get married while a member.

I believe the definition of "service couple" includes common-law partnerships:
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=001303416948774225061%3Aqhcx9pz3dku&ie=UTF-8&q=service+couple&sa=Search&siteurl=www.google.com%2Fcse%2Fhome%3Fcx%3D001303416948774225061%3Aqhcx9pz3dku&ref=&ss=3258j858552j14#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=service%20couple%20

um... I'm curious: should the OP decide to follow the Nursing Officer route, wouldn't marrying her NCM boyfriend be against fraternization policies?

ken.w2402 said:
um... I'm curious: should the OP decide to follow the Nursing Officer route, wouldn't marrying her NCM boyfriend be against fraternization policies?

No.

ken.w2402 said:
As long as they understand that the Nurse, being an officer, would have to be on top.  :evil:

OK, not married there is obligation to post you together.  If you are a nurse now then going Med Tech is a waste of your credentials.  If you are expecting the military to put you through nursing school there is no chance you and your boyfriend will be posted together while in training.  You are in training relationship issues are secondary and you will train wherever you go to Uni, if there is a base near there and you are married there maybe a very slim chance.  Best advice: you both concentrate on your training and worry about your relationship after training.  There is also the problem of being in related trades, postings may become limited if there is only 1 medical unit in location and it is not big enough to ensure the either of you is not the supervisor of the other.  Good Luck! :salute:

Back