• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Relinquishing rank when transferring to reg force (inf)

brandon_ said:
Do you think this is fair?    Perhaps i've gone off topic, perhaps i'm babbling about something totally irrelevant to the original question, I just wanted to clear that up, that as vehicle crew I expect the CC, or the MCPL in charge of the vehicles to be the most knowledgable, I don't think that's fair not only for the crew, but for the un-experinced CC.

I agree with you.  I saw Reserve Armour members CT as MCpls into our unit.  They had NO skill sets and knowledge on the Coyote, nor any real experience as a Troop MCpl.  At the same time, there are Reservist in other Trades that DO have skill sets and knowledge, not only from the Reserves, but from their civilian work and education, that are well above those held by their Reg Force peers.  It all boils down to the individuals and what Trade they are going into.

brandon_ said:
The boys from my battle school almost 3 years ago, are now on their second contracts, some have their hooks, most do not, most have spent the last 3 years driving, or gunning vehicles, some have been trying to be the best they can, so they can move on to Crew Commanding, now for example CPL bloggins from the mo is coming with 3-4 years in, qualified PLQ (which is a prerequisite to crew command), the platoons don't need to send one of the soldiers spending a good amount of time in the hatches learning the ins and outs of the vehicle, when they can just send the militia soldier, and take the spot, with no real experience of the vehicle.     

Do you think this is fair?    Perhaps i've gone off topic, perhaps i'm babbling about something totally irrelevant to the original question, I just wanted to clear that up, that as vehicle crew I expect the CC, or the MCPL in charge of the vehicles to be the most knowledgable, I don't think that's fair not only for the crew, but for the un-experinced CC.

How do you/the boys feel about the Platoon Leaders then; they have little knowledge or experience 'in the hatches'. 

;)

George Wallace said:
I agree with you.  I saw Reserve Armour members CT as MCpls into our unit.  They had NO skill sets and knowledge on the Coyote, nor any real experience as a Troop MCpl.  At the same time, there are Reservist in other Trades that DO have skill sets and knowledge, not only from the Reserves, but from their civilian work and education, that are well above those held by their Reg Force peers.  It all boils down to the individuals and what Trade they are going into.

Some of the zipperhead quick-picks I know did really well, others...not so much.  Their troop time in the 'Mau helped them a lot, if they used it as a stepping stone to build on. 

How would a Res MCpl keep his/her rank on a CT with no PCFs?  At least the boat folks had their gnr quals, AVGP dvr, etc. 

Rog that for the boat people, but I was thinking along the line of the Jeep Jockey Sqns.  We couldn't even get AVGP/LAV driver courses until the mid to late 90s.  My first tasking to TSS I ended up in 1 Tp (track tp at the time).  The look on people's faces when I tried to explain to them I couldn't get a track or Cougar dvr course. 

the Pl
George Wallace said:
It all boils down to the individuals and what Trade they are going into.
agreed.

Eye In The Sky said:
How do you/the boys feel about the Platoon Leaders then; they have little knowledge or experience 'in the hatches'. 

;)

The Platoon Commander is always going to be in his own little world,  thats why we've got the LAV SGT up there with him.

brandon_ said:
now for example CPL bloggins from the mo is coming with 3-4 years in, qualified PLQ (which is a prerequisite to crew command), the platoons don't need to send one of the soldiers spending a good amount of time in the hatches learning the ins and outs of the vehicle, when they can just send the militia soldier, and take the spot, with no real experience of the vehicle.

There are a few things going on here.  First, PLQ is a pre-req for CC (assuming CTC won't waiver) and your buddies don't have PLQ.  The reserve CTs are irrelevant.  The CC course is going to be run and for the money and time your unit is going to need to qualify as many as possible.  If your unit is as busy as every other unit in the army, just hitting the min course load on a PLQ pre-req course is hard enough.  Next year your unit will run another CC course, and the year after.  Your buddies will get qualified sooner than later.  A mech unit with twice as many CC's as required is a happy unit. 

Secondly, PLQ is career manager loaded.  One part of this is where the Cpl merits regimentally.  Also a factor is how many are qualified but not yet promoted.  For example if a Cpl is merited 60th and 20 above are PLQ qualified he is going on PLQ very very soon.  Heck, anywhere is the double digits is going to start getting PLQ vibes. 

PLQ courses are going to be run, even when we stopped recruiting we still ran leadership courses and your CM and RSM will drill down pretty deep on the merit list to get guys on course.  They may not drill down the list much past the 150+'s and first years in rank but give it a year.

Once qualified, It may not lead to promotion immediately, but it knocks off the pre-requisite for nearly every advanced course in the army.

Patience,  there will come a time when your buddies will miss being Cpls ;)

Back