• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rememberance Day - An officer and a gentleman

K225

Inactive
Reaction score
Guys, just a comment about manners and respect, this incident was reported to me by a 80 year old widow of a WWII vet who has a suddenly very different take on our Millitary. Her husband passed away last year. He had served 29 years in the airforce having enlisted in 1943 at 17. Before that he served two years in a militia unit learning to drive bren gun carriers. He had 6000 hours as aircrew. She went to the local Legion branch after the parade with her son and his girl friend who were marching in Ottawa with the corp of commisioners. Two young soldiers back from Afghanistan were in attendance and she was impressed at how they looked. She said she has always been a backer of the military. As she was leaving she went up to one to say how much she appreciated his efforts and mentioned her husband had served on the 1956 peacekeeping mission to the Gaza. His response was that wasn't a real war like he had been in and meant nothing. This callous remark left her shocked and with a very negative impression of Canada's military. Please remember guys not everyone shares your views of Canada's involvement in this war but it doesn't mean they don't support you please be courteous and respect others specially when you are in uniform. This statement has suddely shaken and possibly lost a strong supporter of our military.

+1 There was no need to have a verbal pissing match with the fellow's widow...sad  :(

The proper reply to the lady's story is only, "Thank you, for your sacrifice, ma'am."

Rememberance Day - An officer and a gentleman

K225 said:
Two young soldiers back from Afghanistan ...

K225, just to clarify, could you confirm if we are talking about soldiers or officers here.  Either way, your first post and its title don't match.

Thank you.

She’s not the only one shocked.  And if he was still with us, that comment would have started a fight I am sure. On Nov. 11th of all days, ignorant, disrespectful. Someone needs sorting out. I am sure if his mates heard that they would have followed up with an apology, and gather the lad up and head out.

This thread could get ugly.

Sorry about the title it was the gentleman part I meant to get across, the soldier in question was as she put it so young. If he had taken the time to talk to this lady he would have discovered her father served in the Boer war, a cousin had died at Vimy in WWI, another at Ypres, another cousin was killed when the Stirling he crewed was shot down over Denmark, another died on D'Day, She even had  a cousin who died while serving in the US Navy and his sub was depth charged off Okinawa. In addition to her husband her brother and a sister served in the Airforce in WWII, another sister served in the Army.

I say again,
"Thank you for your sacrifice, ma'am"
:cdn:

BYT Driver said:
I say again,

Roger that.

Please pass on apologies on behalf of the soldiers here. That type of behaviour is not acceptable, and comments such as that do not reflect the norm of those of us in uniform. It's people who make comments like that, that make those in uniform look bad.

hopefully, some of our 2 PPCLI brethren will read this and take it upon themselves to explain to any individuals of similar mind-set to the little punks who insulted the memory of a fellow soldier, just exactly how wrong it is, in no uncertain terms.

BYT Driver said:

It doesn't matter where you serve, just having serve deserves respect.

So as stated; "Thank you for your sacrifice, dedication and support, ma'am."

I just wonder how those two young soldiers would compare their tour to, oh, say, Korea... since that was just a peacekeeping tour as well... ::) (thats sarcasm btw)

Or Desert Sheild / Storm.
I didn't fire my weapon or get fired upon, but I sure saw stuff I don't ever want to see again.  I was in the sand for only 7 weeks, but that was long enough to be "situationally aware".

BYT Driver said:
Or Desert Sheild / Storm.
I didn't fire my weapon or get fired upon, but I sure saw stuff I don't ever want to see again.  I was in the sand for only 7 weeks, but that was long enough to be "situationally aware".

Meh, I was only in the sand box for three weeks, and we all know how that turned out. But that probably was nothing like what those two 'vets' went through.

Now I'm just getting bitter. I hate it when some one pees in the pool and ruins it for every one.  It may just be one old lady to them, but she deserves a hell of a lot more respect than that. That entire generation went through a lot more trial and tribulation then we'll ever see.... UGH.. ok.. I'm going to go sit in a corner and breath.  :mad:

Breathe in , breathe out, breathe in , breathe out....rub head...swaay-swaay-woosa-woosa
These soldiers didn't sound too respectful to me.  Is this the new type of soldier we're getting?  The same attitude I get from most 16 year olds.
:salute:

Back