• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remembrance Day: National holiday?/"Veterans' Day"? (merged)

Remembrance Day should be a National Holiday?

• Yes

Votes: 72 62.1%
  • No

Votes: 38 32.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
career_radio-checker said:
I have to agree with QM. In the US, words of "Memorial long weekend" and "Memorial Day Sale" have already polluted the real meaning of rememberance. Two minutes at the cenotaph, I think, would be more appropriate and sincere than a whole day off. It reminds me of the Biblical tale of the little homeless girl who put her only two penies into the donation basket and the rich man, who followed, put in a whole sack of cash. God teaches that he prefered the little girl's donation because it was all she had and she was sincere about it while the man just made his donation for posterity.  The moral of the story is that sometimes two heart-felt penies is worth more than a bundle of indiscriminate cash.
Still confused? (So am I. I can't understand my thoughts sometimes)
Here. Watch this "Pittance of time." Terry  Kelly says it better than me.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvhN5uth8_g

I Disagree with with both yourself and QM, and I have gone to explaining this to great lengths in my Challenge;

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/42677.0.html

dileas

tess

No need for another day off. Keep the tykes in school and make them learn about the sacrifices, have them meet vets. When they get older, they won't question the need for remembrance on Nov.11.  Hold services in the mall at 11 a.m. where the people are. At most I'd have a law like election day, all employees are entitled to time off to attend a service.

No way, and let all the gov't and peace nut types and other @#!% get a day off to go shopping. I enjoyed telling my boss I am taking a single vacation day, at first they asked why especially during the week. Once I showed up with my medals on the way to the ceremony they stopped asking. Besides when do you recall getting the day off in the army sure the mess opened after but if you had duty no day off for you soldier.

Remembrancee Day as a national holiday - I don't think so.

There are far to few people in Canada who actually care about Nov. 11, why should we reward those who don't give Nov. 11 a second thought a paid holiday.

I agree with someone who said that Canada's military history is barely mentioned in schools, more effort should be done in that area.

Leave Remembrance Day for those who will do it justice, my first Nov.11 in uniform was 1964(cadets) and my respect and gratitude for those that made the supreme sacrificee has not diminished.

Soldiers have always looked after their own, lets keep it that way.

I'd compromise with settling for a morning  of statutory commemoration, ( I hate to apply the word "holiday" to this solemn occasion).  No business whatsoever before 1 p.m. with a complete shut-down of all but the most essential public safety services from 10:45 until 11:45.    But then again I will never be supreme ruler with the power to decree this. 

QM said:
If 11 November becomes a national holiday, all that will end.  The children will be out playing at 1100hrs, and of course won't be bothered to pause and take note of what happened, so in one generation, we will have lost the habit of pausing at 11/11/11.  No one will be at work to peer out their windows at the veterans parade around the cenotaph in their city, or to actually leave their offices to attend the parade, as many do now.  No, 11 November will simply become another long weekend - another chance to have a BBQ or to maybe close the cottage or watch a football game.  The impact will be lost - most Canadians will simply take a day off work and not be bothered to remember or acknowledge why they get to go hunting on a Tuesday, or go shopping in the States for a long weekend in November.  The only people who will put any effort into the day, are us, of course.  But by providing people the opportunity to pause during their schoolday or workday to reflect on the occasion, we keep the memories alive.

Hummm, in Saskatchewan even when I was a kid, 11 Nov was a stat holiday, and any ceremonies, say at school were the day before. I remember them well, from elementry to high school. Even in the UK the 11 Nov service is on Remberance Sunday, the Sunday closest to 11 Nov.

In my Militia days, I can remember that old Armouries, on Elphinstone Street packed as hell every 11 Nov. Vets, cadets, locals of all ages, and all the Militia Units, Legion band,etc. A good turnout.

So, I disagree with you about people loosing sight of the meaning of Remerance Day if it becomes a recognised national day off. I had always thought it was anyways. I guess that some provinces don't recognise it.

Wes

Frederik G said:
So it's cool for the death of 12 (wasn't it?) 
Actually, nine women were shot. Still, it almost makes me cry to see a bunch of separatists (I live in Québec) to yell at soldiers and veterans because they fought for Canada

QM said:
I actually don't think it should be a holiday.  Currently, downtown cores shut down for the parades on 11 November, and in many (most?) schools and offices, a moment of silence is observed at 1100hours. At the very least, this causes young students to recognize that "something" happened on 11 November that is meaningful, and they will remember the solemnity of the moment of silence.

If 11 November becomes a national holiday, all that will end.  The children will be out playing at 1100hrs, and of course won't be bothered to pause and take note of what happened, so in one generation, we will have lost the habit of pausing at 11/11/11.  No one will be at work to peer out their windows at the veterans parade around the cenotaph in their city, or to actually leave their offices to attend the parade, as many do now.  No, 11 November will simply become another long weekend - another chance to have a BBQ or to maybe close the cottage or watch a football game.  The impact will be lost - most Canadians will simply take a day off work and not be bothered to remember or acknowledge why they get to go hunting on a Tuesday, or go shopping in the States for a long weekend in November.  The only people who will put any effort into the day, are us, of course.  But by providing people the opportunity to pause during their schoolday or workday to reflect on the occasion, we keep the memories alive.
+1. 
  I agree.  Look at the Memorial Day in states, they shop!  My children know about Remembrance Day because there (was) is usually a ceremony in thier schools. When we were in Moncton, the school asked the base to have some members to come and line the walls during the Legion Ceremony in the gym,as a show for the youth. 
  When I was involved in Scouting, I brought the young Beavers to the Legion so they could see a Ceremony.  To them it was "old people who fought and died in a war years ago".  But it was "something.  I think it is very important for our youth to know why we do this every year as the "they who grow old" ranks are getting thinner every year.
:salute:

Gaspasser said:
+1. 
   I agree.  Look at the Memorial Day in states, they shop!  My children know about Remembrance Day because there (was) is usually a ceremony in their schools. When we were in Moncton, the school asked the base to have some members to come and line the walls during the Legion Ceremony in the gym,as a show for the youth. 
   When I was involved in Scouting, I brought the young Beavers to the Legion so they could see a Ceremony.  To them it was "old people who fought and died in a war years ago".  But it was "something.  I think it is very important for our youth to know why we do this every year as the "they who grow old" ranks are getting thinner every year.

You are losing me here.

+1.     I agree.

That it should not be a holiday.

Look at the Memorial Day in states, they shop!

Really?  They do.  However, the whole nation, 300 Million understand what memorial day stands for, do you reckon all 30 million of our people do?

My children know about Remembrance Day because there (was) is usually a ceremony in their schools. When we were in Moncton, the school asked the base to have some members to come and line the walls during the Legion Ceremony in the gym,as a show for the youth. 

Fair enough,  tell me what they think of remembrance day when they leave school.  I was part of the generation when November 11th was stricken from Ontario as a public Holiday, I saw the crowds dwindle at the parades, only ones at most of them were family members, and people out walking their dogs, that passed by the ceremony.

Good on you.  Now strip the local populace of all liberties of "relaxing" such as shopping.  And remove all programming, except those dedicated to our Soldiers, Past, present and future.  Fallen and repatriated.  Leave them no avenue to take the day leisurely, short of staying in their homes with curtains drawn, and rose coloured glasses on, and cumbaya playing on the old 8 track.

Give people the understanding that the Nation Remembers.  Let them understand that for one day, just one day, the Country will "MAKE" people understand the sacrifice.

We are more concerned with the date we hand in our taxes, with adds on every media source telling us to file, however we do not enforce the understanding of the Sacrifice that our fellow Canadians make.

You may have taken the time to remind your children, and yourself what that sacrifice is, but it is high time we as a nation remind EVERYONE.

We have misinterpreted what the word Holiday means.  We take it as a day to lounge, however is means Holy Day, a sacred day.  Therefore we must all understand that this is a Sacred day, dedicated to all Warriors.

dileas

tess

For all those who believe that making the 11th of Novemeber a stat holiday will lead to no-one showing up for Parade, I simply have to respectfully disagree.

Last year on Nov 11th I had the hounour of being appointed as the Vigil Party Commander. I can tell you that there were literally hundreds of people viewing the Ceremonies from my vantage point. Small town New Brunswick. I stood there and cried. New Brunswick, where this day is already a "Holiday" it is treated first and foremost as a Day of Remembrance.

Usually however, I request permission to parade with my Cub Scout pack, prior to that my Beaver Colony. I still wear my uniform.

I have talked in schools in Ontario during my postings there and I have talked in schools in New Brunswick on Nov 10th when the schools had their Ceremonies. In New Brunswick, despite the fact that the kids will be "off" on the 11th to attend parades, they still have in-school ceremonies on the 10th which are well attend by the students, their parents, serving soldiers making presentations and significantly by Veterans of our past wars.

If you don't think todays generation knows enough, you must also get out into your Communities to make them aware. Do your part and do what you can.

Perhaps, many of Canada's non-military connected population is indeed "forgetting", it has been a long time since they ahve had to experience "War" if indeed they have ever experienced it. In the past couple of years though, I have noticed a marked increase in the numbers of your average Canadian citizens out on Nov 11th at the Parades. The 20-30-40 year old generation, you know them, the ones who've not had to "live" through a "war." The 50+ generation is there, the youth is indeed there. Perhaps the others are now showing up because they are now seeing first hand through our mission in Afghanistan that, indeed, their right to stay home on Nov 11th, did come with a heavy price.

By the way, in Ontario, we wrote up a letter for all our Beavers and Cubs for them to take to school, letting their teachers know that they would be 'on parade' Nov 11th. The schools allowed them to attend, for the full day, and did not report them as "absent" for the day from school on their report cards.

I guess, it's up to us to make people aware of what this day is about. There are ways to do this.

I have not been able to attend a Remembrance Day ceremony for about 5 years.  Why?  Because my employer would not allow me the time off and I know I am not alone in this.  Some point to Memorial Day in the US as an example of what might happen in Canada.  This also does not have to be the case as we could also point to Christmas and Canada day as how it could also be run.  There is nothing that says the government would have to allow stores to be open just because it is a holiday and if individual provinces try to pull that, well, there are elections to set them straight.

Shec said:
I'd compromise with settling for a morning  of statutory commemoration, ( I hate to apply the word "holiday" to this solemn occasion).  No business whatsoever before 1 p.m. with a complete shut-down of all but the most essential public safety services from 10:45 until 11:45.
I like something along these lines.  No stores open between 10:00 and 13:00 (lets the 24 hr establishments & breakfast restaurants know when to close their doors).  All other businesses must either give their employees the time off, or conduct their own ceremony (this would also apply to schools).

rmacqueen said:
There is nothing that says the government would have to allow stores to be open just because it is a holiday
The West Edmonton Mall has Remembrance day hours.  Stores don't open until after lunch.  This should be required.

MCG,
Those are very nice sen....whoa, did a pig just fly by?

Folks, I am sorry but we are collectively asking too much of the PRESENT Canadian populace.
When many [most] parents are more concerned with little Jane/Johnny having the latest shoes/video/ better designer clothes than having appreciation for just how FRIGGIN' GOOD WE HAVE IT and what the cost of that was, well......

Keep them a 'captive' audience either in a school gymnasium or as a school trip to the local cenotaph works for me.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Keep them a 'captive' audience either in a school gymnasium or as a school trip to the local cenotaph works for me.
Bruce,
With what I've suggested still has the kids going to a gym ceremony.  However, the cubicle dwellers in downtown offices would also attend an office ceremony (or the office has to close for the morning).  University students would be free to attend ceremonies.  McDonald's and WalMart would be closed.

The rule is shut down for those three hours or conduct your own ceremony.

Don't get me wrong, love the idea, but I also like the idea of me retiring to a tropical island full of subversive supermodels, however.......

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Don't get me wrong, love the idea, but I also like the idea of me retiring to a tropical island full of subversive supermodels, however.......

Hey it could happen. Or we could always try to find that bowling Mom/daughter combo  ;)

I do like the idea of Rememberance day hours or require ceremonies, but you have to agree it's not something that is likely to happen.

Goes back to the same argument. "Oh, sweet, I don't need to be in the office till 1300, so I'll sleep in"

Sig_Des said:
I do like the idea of Rememberance day hours or require ceremonies, but you have to agree it's not something that is likely to happen.

Goes back to the same argument. "Oh, sweet, I don't need to be in the office till 1300, so I'll sleep in"
Sure there will be those that well do that but do we abandon the idea because of people who will view it as just another holiday or push it forward for the ones who would honour our fallen and the recognition of their importance by declaring a holiday.  If you follow this line of thinking then we should also get rid of Canada Day, Thankgiving, Easter, Labour Day and, at the rate it is going, Christmas.

Back