• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remembrance Day resources

Update:

I just finished the ceremony at Brooklands elementary (Winnipeg). It went very well or so the teachers said  ;)

I brought a helmet, extra beret and Afghani cap and handed that around while I talked. The kids seemed to really like that.

I divided the forum into 2 parts, what I think a soldier is and what Remembrance day means to me. I got a chuckle because I asked the which they wanted to hear first and they all screamed soldier like it was choreographed.

I was astounded by the history in this school(the school is over 100 years), they have two large 'honour rolls' of Brookland students who served and perished(numbering over 100) in the World Wars. I don't know when they were made but they were done in calligraphy and certainly appear museum worthy.

When the principle asked who had or has a family member in the CF at least 90% of the kids put up their hands.

The respect these kids showed and the effort they put into this assembly made me feel as proud to serve as I ever have.

The Guidance councillor Ryan Miller should be commended for his efforts towards the theme of the assembly, as he truly understands 'Lest we forget'.

With his permission I am posting a link of the video he made with the grade 4/5 class that was played at the assembly. It is a tribute to being a soldier and is the first video titled "Soldier".

http://oddfellow-music.blogspot.com/

Well Done.

I spoke at my daughter's school the past 3 years (was unable this year due to coursing) but it was VERY rewarding.

I was able to setup a small display in the entrance-way including some pictures, and memorabilia, then I lent a helmet and stuff to the teacher who helped me set it up to show her students. 

Interactive is good, but has to be controlled (lest it get out of hand)

Personal is best....get them engaged with what YOU have experienced.

The material from the speaker's corner has HOPEFULLY gotten better than what they offered me 2 years ago....I hope that whoever prepared it in 2008 got their butt fired.  It was horrid.

NS

Back