• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Renewing my contract.. Got a few questions..

Sythen

Subscriber
Reaction score
Cause I know everyone asks, yes I did use the search function and did find a lot of useful information. However nothing really answered my question..

I'll start by giving some background. I do not plan on being a career soldier. Garrison life kills me.. My plan was to finish my 3 year contract then go to college and become a civi fire fighter. Currently, I am on the ORP for the OMLT and we get told a different story by everyone who talks to us.. Some say we'll all end up overseas, some say only like 5-10 of us will.. I will do at least one tour before I leave the forces, because I didn't go through all the training and general BS I have to be a garrison troop and get out without actually having done anything.

Anyways, my contract ends 10 Nov 09, which is basically a few months before my unit deploys for 1-10. If I can't get over for at least 6 months, meaning if I don't get picked up by the end of next month, I will stay on to do another 3 year contract.

My question is, has anyone heard (not looking for links as proof or anything, just curious even for anecdotes) of someone being able to negotiate the length of their second contract? I do realize I could just sign the 3 year, do my tour then VR or something, but I really don't like not finishing what I start. Basically what I hope to do is extend my contract by 12 months, do my tour, then apply to college and ask for an extended leave without pay to start school in Sept so I don't need to wait til the next year to start.

Also, in advance gonna respond to something people post on every thread about contracts that I've read.. Signing up, and planning on doing one contract then going civi side with the skills you learn is not a bad thing. Its not abusing the system. If you honor your contract, and serve your time, I don't see why someone would look down on you for wanting something else from life.

Anyways, thanks in advance for the responses.

Yes I have heard of people extending their contract by 6 months or a year. Don't really have any examples off hand, but I can almost guarantee that when your contract is about to come up for renewal, they will probably hang your tour above your head if you don't sign it. It is kind of their way to keep you locked in.

As for the college thing, yes it will be easier to get out if you have a college application you can show your chain of command, it will expedite the process. However do not count on being back in country by September 2010.

However do not count on being back in country by September 2010.

Hrmm... Just did the math in my head and you're right. That's ok though, might be able to find a course that starts later.. My main concern is trying to avoid another full 3 years.. Thanks for the info though.

What you want to look into is called a Continuing Engagement (CE). I don't have the CFAOs here at home but if memory serves, it is CFAO 49-4 Pers Policy NCM. What you need to do after becoming familiar with the requirements of the applicable CFAO is submit a memo through your chain of command that requests an CE for the period of time you are looking for. If the C of C supports your request it will be sent up to NDHQ for approval.

Have you considered getting your post secondary education through the CF. There are a couple of ways to do it. It might be worth a trip to the BPSOs office to find out more.  :salute:

"Thanks for pointing that out George, I should never do this at home".

Chimo said:
What you want to look into is called a Contract Extention (CE).

???

I don't think that is the name, nor the use.

It is a Continuing Engagement.  It was given in two to five year increments, to a maximum of five years.

Chimo said:
What you want to look into is called a Contract Extention (CE). I don't have the CFAOs here at home but if memory serves, it is CFAO 49-4 Pers Policy NCM. What you need to do after becoming familiar with the requirements of the applicable CFAO is submit a memo through your chain of command that requests an CE for the period of time you are looking for. If the C of C supports your request it will be sent up to NDHQ for approval.

Have you considered getting your post secondary education through the CF. There are a couple of ways to do it. It might be worth a trip to the BPSOs office to find out more.  :salute:

Some more info on CEs and TOS are found in ADM(HR-MIL) INSTRUCTION 05/05 THE NEW CF REGULAR FORCE TERMS OF SERVICE

Back