• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Renting a room in an assigned PMQ - looking for references.

Ayrsayle

Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
Came across an interesting ad this evening, with a member advertising a room for rent in a PMQ (for roughly a few hundred less then the member is likely paying for it - though it is a moot point).  This sets off some alarm bells to me, was curious if anyone could shed some light on the topic.

It was my understanding that members were not supposed to gain monetarily from assigned housing (outside of running a personal business in specific situations, etc). 

As far as I know, non-family members are allowed to live in your PMQ, with permission from CFHA (each base may differ).  The caveat is "the designated occupant shall not charge a rental in excess of the rental charged by DND for that MQ."  Of course, that was if someone was occupying the PMQ while you were away, but I'd imagine the rules are no different for renting a room.

The renting member is still responsible for the other occupant(s).

Some bases allow Single members to share a PMQ, depending on availability. Usually this is governed by Base/Wing Standing Orders on Married Quarters.

Did a bit of research and looking for answers since posting this - I was somewhat surprised by the response (which I then referenced).  This was the e-mail I received:

"Residents of DND housing do not have a lease or rental agreement with CFHA; they have a licence to occupy the Residential Housing Unit. Under the current DND policy, members are allowed to have paying roommates. The policy does not differentiate between CAF members and non federal employees. Arrangements for roommates is between the occupant of record and the roommate. CFHA does not have any means of monitoring these situations. "

So any "rental" is between the member and occupant of the PMQ - with the member holding the licence to occupy being the sole person responsible for the occupancy (and fufilling the obligations thereof).

The more you know.

Ayrsayle said:
Did a bit of research and looking for answers since posting this - I was somewhat surprised by the response (which I then referenced).  This was the e-mail I received:

"Residents of DND housing do not have a lease or rental agreement with CFHA; they have a licence to occupy the Residential Housing Unit. Under the current DND policy, members are allowed to have paying roommates. The policy does not differentiate between CAF members and non federal employees. Arrangements for roommates is between the occupant of record and the roommate. CFHA does not have any means of monitoring these situations. "

So any "rental" is between the member and occupant of the PMQ - with the member holding the licence to occupy being the sole person responsible for the occupancy (and fufilling the obligations thereof).

The more you know.

Nice!  Thinking outside the box: This opens up the possibility of claims against the member, should someone who has been 'renting' for a period of over one and a half years decides for some reason to claim or sue for "Common-Law Status".    >:D

George Wallace said:
Nice!  Thinking outside the box: This opens up the possibility of claims against the member, should someone who has been 'renting' for a period of over one and a half years decides for some reason to claim or sue for "Common-Law Status".    >:D

And what happens if a member gets a short notice posting that is less than the required minimum time to give notice to the renter?  ;)  If a legal lease was signed...

This seems like an odd response to receive. Was it from CFHA? I thought current policy stated you had to inform CFHA of all occupants living in their housing, so therefore, they are aware and tracking who is living in the PMQs. I know there was an issue in Cold Lake where when they did an early morning check at the back gate, there were dozens of company trucks leaving to go off to work. It raised a bit of a stir.

This was a response from CFHA - I infered from it (And other references) that any "renting" you are doing is between you and the other person - IE, CFHA can never be held responsible, nor is it obligated to protect "renter/rentee" rights and obligations.

Still surprising to me - perhaps there are limitations included under Base/Wing Standing Orders, etc.

Ayrsayle said:
This was a response from CFHA - I infered from it (And other references) that any "renting" you are doing is between you and the other person - IE, CFHA can never be held responsible, nor is it obligated to protect "renter/rentee" rights and obligations.

Still surprising to me - perhaps there are limitations included under Base/Wing Standing Orders, etc.

So, hypothetically speaking, could a member "licence" 10 units from CFHA and then have 10 "roommates" paying him rent every month?  Seems like a (potentially) lucrative opportunity.

and they will assign you one based on family size so unless you are single odds are you need that space for a family member.

Back