• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Res MARS training for Reg Force career?

hawke1759

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey All,
    I've been searching for an answer to this question, but as yet haven't found anything specific.  I'm in the Reserves as a MARS officer right now getting ready for Basic this summer.  Due to civvie career reasons I've decided that I'd like to go Reg Force, but I would also like to get my Masters in War Studies at RMC.  If I did that right away I would do my MARS training in the summers and then transfer to the Regs (hopefully).  So, I have a couple of questions...

1. If I did all of my MARS training in the Reserves and transfered to the Regs would there be any prejudice against me or missing skills that I would need?

2. Are there any courses that I would have to retake?

3. Would anybody suggest that I transfer to the Regs right after Basic and then worry about my Masters later?

Thanks for your help everyone! (Sorry for the long post)

Cheers  :)

Well, in terms of "missing" anything by doing reserve training, you shouldn't.  I was an instructor at NOTC when we fully integrated the reg and res training into one standard.  so, here is my take on your questions:
1) right up to the end of MARS IV, there is no difference in training standard (after MARS IV the regs and res begin to take somewhat differing paths)
2) no courses would require a repeat
3) there are lots of options for graduate studies at RMC.  Many folks do it through distance learning.  Some folks stick with the reserves to get a feel for whether they like the work; HOWEVER, keep in mind that training is different than real life, and what reservists MARS officer do in MCDVs is different than what officers do in destroyers and frigates.

Now, in terms of answers one and two, the caveat is that I have been gone for about 8 months, so who knows.  I can tell you, a quick email or phone call to NOTC would sort that out for you.  Get in touch with the Executive Officer (my former boss, and a great fellow, and someone who went res to reg many years ago) at NOTC, he'll be happy to give you some insight.

Thanks Gus,
    That puts my mind at ease somewhat that I shouldn't miss out on too much by doing my training in the Reserves.  I will check with NOTC to make sure that this is still the case though.  My application to RMC's War Studies MA program is going through right now, so fingers crossed!

Cheers  :)

hawke1759,

1) No real prejudice once you hit the fleet after your transfer, we are a kinder, more gentle Navy today.  You may face some flak for carrying over Lt(N) rank from the reserves (until you pass your NOPQ board) but at the end of the day, you will be paid well for your tx (a brand new Lt(N) joined my Ship as an IPC 5 Lt(N) and made more than me, and I was his Divisional Officer).
2) Gus is right, no re-coursing.  Though you will require NOC and OPME, which will delay your integration into your Ship (though your MA may write some OPMEs off)
3) For God's sake, man, finish your MA first!!!  Once you get in the stream, you won't have time to do your MA.  I promised myself I would finish my MA "later", then the fleet sucks you in, NOPQ, D-Level, and now the ORO course which is a year long.  Finish school! (having a Masters will greatly enhance your changes of getting a senior appointment down the road from DSA as well).
4) Enjoy school and the Reserve lifestyle.  Once you join the dark side, there is no looking back.  It sounds ominous, but it really isn't.  The Fleet needs you desperately and will not let you go once you get into the stream.

Good luck!

Missile Man said:
, finish your MA first!!! 

I'd like to offer the contrary advice. Wait until you've got some time in before going back to graduate studies. Picture the scene from "Good Will Hunting" when Matt Damon's character verbally slaps the kid who's spouting off the latest ecoomics buzzwords from some text. At most RMC War Studies' student conferences, you'll see the same clique of grad student "experts," who will pontificate at great length about how Clausewitz would have conducted the campaign against al-Qaeda.....but who haven't the remotest clue what it's actually like being in harm's way. That experience speaks volumes.

Once you've been around, not only will you bring a better perspective to your MA, but you may have found a practical, useful topic that requires researching. There's already way too much useless academic navel gazing - - if you can provide the CF with some academically sound solution to one of our oh so many problems, it may help at PER time as well.

As for there being no time......Gen Dallaire once told us (5 Bde HQ staff), "that's why the night is so long - - there's always time." Just chose how you want to spend your time

Back