• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Co-op enrollment 2014-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made it into the co-op for the Lincoln And Welland Regiment, and I swear in Feb 10th. So hopefully I'll be able to provide some updated information with the co-op more recently. If any CO-OP applicants are in the process of applying, or looking to apply, I can help answer some questions. I had one hell of a time getting in, so I wouldn't mind helping out.

Can CF please offer this co-op program in Toronto, Mississauga, or Oakville. I can only comply with less stringent measures that is why I like to enroll in this program. As a college graduate, can I take advantage of this? Even if I do not get paid. :salute:

Army Reserve Co-op (sem 2) COP4XA
The Army Reserve Co-op Program includes basic military training as an introduction to life in the Canadian Forces, specific to the Army Reserve. This means training to be a member of one of the Army Reserve units in Thunder Bay, at the Armoury on Park Avenue. The Army Reserve units in Thunder Bay are: 736 Communications Squadron, which specializes in electronic communications; the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment, which is an infantry unit; 18 Service Battalion, which specializes in transport, supply/logistics and technical repair and maintenance; and 18 Field Ambulance, which specializes in health care and trauma support services. The program will be offered to senior students in Semester II.

To be eligible, students must meet the following conditions:
*16 years old prior to the starting date of the program;
*A Canadian citizen; Have a minimum of 15 credits prior to the start of the program;
*Enrolled in Semester II Co-op (afternoon);
*Successfully complete the entrance requirements prior to December 1 of the school year (physical, medical, aptitude);
*Able to attend program from 1:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday and the occasional weekend training sessions.

As a member of the Army Reserve, students can expect the following:
*Two (2) credits (cooperative education);
*Remuneration at the rate of a regular reservist ($85.70 per day/$42.85 per half day);
*An introduction to a career in the Canadian Forces, specifically the Army;
*Knowledge and skills related to: Team building, time management, problem solving skills, fitness and sports;
*Trades related training in the areas of Mobile Support Equipment Operator (light, medium and heavy Logistics Wheeled Logistics Vehicles);
*Supply Technician (Logistics and Supply Systems)
*Cook (Culinary Management);
*Resource Management Support Clerk (Office and Finance Administration);
*Weapons Technician (Repair and Maintenance of Weapons Systems);
*Vehicle Technician (Automotive and Heavy Equipment Mechanics);
*Infantry (Safe Weapons Handling and Tactics);
*Medical Technician (First Responder, Basic Trauma Life Support and Paramedic);
*Signals Operator (Digital Communications);
*An excellent reference on an application for those seeking a career in policing, law and security, data processing, office and financial administration and management, mechanics, computers and electronics or health care;
*For those who remain active Army Reservists beyond high school graduation, students can qualify for tuition support at approved postsecondary institutions (up to $2,000 per year for four years).
Canadian Forces Cooperative Education Opportunities
COURSE NOTE: Runs Sem II. Must be 16 years of age and have 15 credits by the start of the program. See course description for more details.

The army can't just snap their fingers and suddenly make the co-op program available in your area. If its not you're SOL.

The entrance requirements are the exact same for co-op vs the ordinary reserves so I'm not sure what you mean by "less stringent" measures. As a collage grad, no you can't do co-op since it's only for high school students. If you're a collage graduate and want to serve, your best bet is to just sign up with the reserves.

highschool said:
As a college graduate, can I take advantage of this? Even if I do not get paid. :salute:

No. It's a high school program, for high school students.

Kilted Infantry said:
There will be an Army Coop running this year.

One is held out of Georgetown for Infantry Peel and Halton Regiments (Lorne Scots and Toronto Scottish Reg) the other is out of Toronto for Combat Engineer and Artillery (location has not been confirmed but it will be in Toronto).

If you are interested in this course you can contact your guidance councellor or your local reserve recruiter.

You can also send me a personal message and I'll direct you as needed.
The coop is still going, it is also now in my home town aurora ontario, with the queens york rangers armoured unit. I plan to join next year.

Welcome to Army.ca

Goals are admirable things, and we can guess at yours by your choice of username.

However...

You are not even in the CF yet, based upon your first post. Using that unit's title as your username is a bit presumptuous at this point. And, while the vast majority of people here would understand that you mean no offence by it, somebody will, pretty soon, object to your use of it in much more blunt terms than I shall.

And your "unit", in your profile, is not "CSOR TF ARROWHEAD", unless your stated plan to join the QYR next year is just a deep-undercover-deception-plan.

If you wish to have some credibility here, please change your username and your profile.

At my school there is a military co-op program, which allows us to join the reserves for the duration of the semester and train like a soldier, and to be in it you have to apply. However, the minimum age to join is 16. I turn 16 in mid October, and the applications are highly competitive, so can I still apply for semester 2 co-op when I am still 15?

uiop said:
At my school there is a military co-op program, which allows us to join the reserves for the duration of the semester and train like a soldier, and to be in it you have to apply. However, the minimum age to join is 16. I turn 16 in mid October, and the applications are highly competitive, so can I still apply for semester 2 co-op when I am still 15?

You can apply for the Co-Op position now but will need your parents consent.  However, you cannot start the program, until after your 16th birthday.

Saw this in Ask a CAF Recruiter. Adding it here for future reference,

Age questions 
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/122503/post-1425594;topicseen#new
"At my school there is a military co-op program,..."

And I've merged that one into this one.

Hey, so I plan on doing this Co-op program next year. After I have completed it, can i transfer to reg force and continue my training after I'm complete high school? Is this an option that is available? Or do i need to do a Component transfer afterwards? if so, How long may it take?

Thanks!

You're joining the Reserves as CO-OP, you'll have to component transfer, and may even need to redo BMQ. If you want to join the RegF right after high school, find another CO-OP and do that, joining the RegF after. The component transfer process could take years.

If you've not already done some research on this Site - and I suspect that you've not, then you need to do so. There is a ton of information regarding Co-op in this thread, and service in the Reserve Force, Regular Force, Component Transfers, and other stuff in other threads. You've got time, so use it.

PuckChaser said:
You're joining the Reserves as CO-OP, you'll have to component transfer, and may even need to redo BMQ. If you want to join the RegF right after high school, find another CO-OP and do that, joining the RegF after. The component transfer process could take years.

Ahh okay, Ya was thinking about not even doing the co-op because I was afraid i would be stuck in reserves after the program was done and would have to wait a while. I'm probably just going to drop the coop and take regular classes, The only reason i even took it was for the CF Program. Thank you for the reply!

Have a good one!

Find a trade that interests you, and maybe you need a certain grade 12 class. Take that and ace it.

PuckChaser said:
Find a trade that interests you, and maybe you need a certain grade 12 class. Take that and ace it.

I was thinking about joining ACISS, I want to hopefully get into an Infantry Unit, I read that this was the coolest that would get me to the front line while still doing stuff with my hands like electrical work. I was also thinking about Combat Engineer but I read that the average day on Garrison was boring, mainly sitting in the cage and cleaning, Not so much building which is what I would like to do.

Just going to give my 0.02$ as a ACISS CLS A reservist

Untamed Spyder said:
I was thinking about joining ACISS, I want to hopefully get into an Infantry Unit, I read that this was the coolest that would get me to the front line while still doing stuff with my hands like electrical work.
Just make sure you enjoy radios. I have done very little "electrical" work since I've joined up, that being said we do have a line troop but from what I've seen on ex they typically stay around the HQ once the line is set up. In the reserves it is a very flexible trade, I've worked with with every combat arms trade and it has been a lot of fun. But don't think that you will be working with the cmbt arms every weekend. That being said, I don't plan on leaving any time soon.

Untamed Spyder said:
I was also thinking about Combat Engineer but I read that the average day on Garrison was boring, mainly sitting in the cage and cleaning, Not so much building which is what I would like to do.
I've done all of this as an ACISS many times. There has been times that it has been "Only one hour to go" and on the flip side, "holy shit it is has been six hours?"

PuckChaser said:

This X100. I've loved the reserves, but don't think you can join as an ACISS and transfer to another trade and transfer in a timely matter.

Find a trade that you think you will enjoy, but make sure you pick a trade you think you could do a career in as transferring once you are in is a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back