• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve DL training for public servants

tree hugger

Reaction score
I am a public servant working for DND.  My MOC course starts in September but is primarily DL.  I recently found out that the DL portion is quite extensive and time consuming.  I know with traditional class B training, one can take LWP from their day job.  I’m trying to find out if I can take 1/day per wk to devote to the DL package.  I’ve found the following information:
CPAO 6.28 MILITARY LEAVE
http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/hrciv/cos/en/home_e.asp?reference=110090061

Reserve Forces Training Leave Regulations

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/PDF/Regulation/C/C.R.C.,_c._1050.pdf

From the Base CHRO office, I was told, “this will apply only to training and activities that take place during your regular working hours.  If you require additional time-off from work the provisions of your collective agreement will apply.  In other words, if your training takes place on evenings and weekends, the provisions for military leave will not apply.”

Has anyone been able to take a part-time LWP for DL training?  Right now it looks like I’d have to work on my own time in the evenings as DL does not “take place during my regular working hours”….

Any guidance would be appreciated on this one.

-th

Generally, you're out of luck.  In addition, training required for the next rank level is not eligible for leave with pay, an additional wrinkle.

I took that to mean advanced training.  For general MOC training, I thought it would fall under, "To take annual training or to be on duty" (first row in annex A).

If it's as you read it, that wouldn't be very good.

Hello tree hugger :D

As you know, I got time off from my civilian job for trg even though it was a career course, so I think the regulation dapaterson is refering to is either loosely applied or, as you said, only valid for advanced courses.

That being said, no friggin clue for DL...

dapaterson said:
Generally, you're out of luck.  In addition, training required for the next rank level is not eligible for leave with pay, an additional wrinkle.

I always thought this part of the regulation basically guaranteed that any federal public servant would never be able to take any training while taking advantage of LWP.  For myself, and I suspect most of us in the same situation, never really get an opportunity for training that isn't a career course.

I got four months off last year. And have permission for 5 weeks this summer. All at full salary and benefits.

TimBit said:
I got four months off last year. And have permission for 5 weeks this summer. All at full salary and benefits.

I have no doubt that it happens.  I'm sure it's a regulation that gets zero attention and is not monitored for compliance.  So good for those who make the effort and get their courses done.

From a PS point of view, you're allowed to exercise that benefit.  On the other hand, DND restricts a members ability to collect civy-pay (even though there would be no double-dipping) if they elect to take a career course.  I just find that so very humorous because it's so very inconsistent. 

So, in my case, it doesn't matter that it is DL or not.  The CHRO also referred me to my collective agreement. 

So the applicable section for "Leave with or without pay for other reasons":
At its descretion, the Employer may grant:
b) leave with or without pay for purposes other than that specified in this agreement.

It reads wishy-washy and vague probably resulting in inconsistant use....

Normally working for  the province we don't get LWP for DL.

But I do get paid for it by the military. Normally you can claim 1 day a week for the DL. Of course you have to make sure you claim this day on a weekend or two weeknights so that if you are audited you are now receiving two pays for the same work time.

For me not much difference than a parade night or a Saturday Training Ex.

Back