• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Entry Training Plan (RETP) [MERGED]

You will not be issued a computer everyone supplies their own  and you will have to purchase  your own school supplies
There is no cost for books

I believe tuition lodging and mess fees added up to about $7500 for the entire year

You should be able to cover costs after your summer training, we used osap to help cover cost for first year

Thanks CFMom.  Is my first term bill due when I report in August? I have a smallish RESP (thanks grandparents!) that I can cover most of the first year with.

I think payment was due for first term at the end of September and then again at end of January for second term.

Hello there

I would really like to enlist in the military through with the ROTP or RETP scheme. For RETP I've tried looking up information about it but I want able to find much about it. My question pertaining to RETP is, is it just RMC that RETP is applicable to? Or can I also do RETP through a civilian university? Also I have a question about Civilian Universities and ROTP for that. My question for that is do you get to pick what university you would like to go to if you choose to go to a civvie university? Also can you put ROTP (Civvie university) as your first option on your application.

Thanks and best regards
-C

RETP is only available at RMC.  Otherwise, you'd join a Reserve unit under the RESO program.

ChrisFreddy said:
I would really like to enlist in the military through with the ROTP or RETP scheme. For RETP I've tried looking up information about it but I want able to find much about it. My question pertaining to RETP is, is it just RMC that RETP is applicable to? Or can I also do RETP through a civilian university? Also I have a question about Civilian Universities and ROTP for that. My question for that is do you get to pick what university you would like to go to if you choose to go to a civvie university? Also can you put ROTP (Civvie university) as your first option on your application.

dapaterson has answered your question about RETP, so here is the rest.

As an ROTP applicant, you will first be considered for admission to the Military Colleges, and if found suitable for admission, you will be offered to attend the Military Colleges.  You can select any recognized Canadian University of your choice when applying for ROTP and put that down as your first preference but the above will always take precedence, unless your program of study is not offered by RMC.  Also, all applicants are informed of the requirement to make application to a Canadian University.  Selection and attendance at a Military College, is never a given!!!  You need to have a backup!!!

In regard to RETP I was informed last year that they aren't accepting anyone into that program anymore, not sure if this has changed over the past year, but that's what I've heard.

tessa.vanz said:
In regard to RETP I was informed last year that they aren't accepting anyone into that program anymore, not sure if this has changed over the past year, but that's what I've heard.

RETP isn't managed or controlled by CF Recruiting, it's actually a "Reserve Force" program.  They merely process your application as directed and then after that, it's all in the hands of CFMILPERSCOM and at their leisure.  A "bakers dozen" or so get selected every year.

Alright thanks for all the information, the program that I would like to do is not offered at RMC and is offered at York, Laurier, Ryerson, and such. I also prefer going to a civvie university as my preference. Also one other thing, I've been having some problems applying online through ROTP, the just of the problems comes up at the education page where it tells me to put the details of my education, one of the main problems is pertaining to date last attended/completed... It keeps saying its invalid, can someone help me out? I've been trying to fix this since yesterday 

ChrisFreddy said:
Alright thanks for all the information, the program that I would like to do is not offered at RMC and is offered at York, Laurier, Ryerson, and such. I also prefer going to a civvie university as my preference. Also one other thing, I've been having some problems applying online through ROTP, the just of the problems comes up at the education page where it tells me to put the details of my education, one of the main problems is pertaining to date last attended/completed... It keeps saying its invalid, can someone help me out? I've been trying to fix this since yesterday

For the education level, just select Gr 10 (ie; the lowest available completed).  You can sort that issue out at a later date with your CFRC.

You can select any recognized Canadian University of your choice when applying for ROTP and put that down as your first preference but the above will always take precedence, unless your program of study is not offered by RMC.  Also, all applicants are informed of the requirement to make application to a Canadian University.  Selection and attendance at a Military College, is never a given!!!  You need to have a backup!!!

anjali14 said:
You can select any recognized Canadian University of your choice when applying for ROTP and put that down as your first preference but the above will always take precedence, unless your program of study is not offered by RMC.  Also, all applicants are informed of the requirement to make application to a Canadian University.  Selection and attendance at a Military College, is never a given!!!  You need to have a backup!!!

Please.  If you are not knowledgeable in the facts, try not to add to the confusion.  If you had read this whole topic, you would have read this post:

dapaterson said:
RETP is only available at RMC.  Otherwise, you'd join a Reserve unit under the RESO program.

So I had a question from a private turn into a less-than-successful quest for information, and I'd like to collect information here for someone to reference in the future.

Private asked what the difference between RETP and RESO was, and all I had for them was one goes to RMC (but pays tuition vs ROTP) and the other goes to a civilian university. RESO officers get commissioned after CAP. Both undergo occupational training alongside ROTP and DEO.

I couldn't answer any follow-up questions, such how are RETP employed or at what rate of pay (eg. if a Cpl 1, stay at same rate of pay vs OCdt). I referred the member to the BPSO and CFRC, which they will hopefully be able to access at some point between work and their summer training.

Meanwhile, I tried to find answers for my own reference. I'm collecting what I've found here, and invite anyone with references or firsthand knowledge to post it here as well. If the information is on the site, I haven't found it.

RETP Tuition
https://www.rmcc-cmrc.ca/en/registrars-office/rmcc-previous-year-academic-fees
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-queens-regulations-orders-vol-04/appx-06-01.page#app-05-01

QR&O Vol IV Appendix 6.1 said:
CHAPTER 5 - FINANCE
5.01 - ANNUAL COLLEGE FEE

(1) The annual college is $1,524 for each academic year for a cadet not entitled to the payment of the annual college fee at public expense. (2 Nov 92)

(2) A student who is a member of the Regular Force and who is not repeating an academic year shall be provided at public expense with tuition, books, instruments and other materials for that year.

(3) A student who is a member of the Regular Force and who is repeating an academic year for medical or service reasons shall be provided at public expense with tuition, books, instruments and other materials for that year.

(4) A cadet who is a member of the Regular Force shall pay:

for the period during each academic year that the member resides at a college, by monthly deductions, for single quarters at the rate prescribed in QR&O (see QR&O 208.50) and for rations at the rate prescribed in QR&O (see QR&O 208.505); and
if repeating an academic year at the member's expense,
the annual college fee for that year at the rate specified in (1) of this article, and
the amounts prescribed in QR&O (see QR&O 208.50 and 208.505) in respect of the cost of single quarters and rations at the rate prevailing on the first day of April of the then current fiscal year, for the period that the cadet resides at the college. (17 Apr 80)
5.01 - ANNUAL COLLEGE FEE

(1) The annual college is $1,524 for each academic year for a cadet not entitled to the payment of the annual college fee at public expense. (2 Nov 92)

(2) A student who is a member of the Regular Force and who is not repeating an academic year shall be provided at public expense with tuition, books, instruments and other materials for that year.

(3) A student who is a member of the Regular Force and who is repeating an academic year for medical or service reasons shall be provided at public expense with tuition, books, instruments and other materials for that year.

(4) A cadet who is a member of the Regular Force shall pay:

for the period during each academic year that the member resides at a college, by monthly deductions, for single quarters at the rate prescribed in QR&O (see QR&O 208.50) and for rations at the rate prescribed in QR&O (see QR&O 208.505); and
if repeating an academic year at the member's expense,
the annual college fee for that year at the rate specified in (1) of this article, and
the amounts prescribed in QR&O (see QR&O 208.50 and 208.505) in respect of the cost of single quarters and rations at the rate prevailing on the first day of April of the then current fiscal year, for the period that the cadet resides at the college. (17 Apr 80)
(5) A cadet who is a member of the Reserve Force shall pay:

the annual college fee for that year at the rate specified in (1) of this article; and
the amounts prescribed in QR&O (see QR&O 208.50 and 208.505) in respect of the cost of single quarters and rations at the rate prevailing on the first day of April of the then current fiscal year, for the period that the cadet resides at the college.
(6) Not less than fifty per cent of the annual college fee and of the amounts prescribed under (4)(b)(i) and (ii), or under (5)(a) and (b) of this article, shall be paid to the Receiver General for Canada on or before the first day a cadet reports to a college, and the balance shall be paid on or before the last day of January of the same academic year.

(G) (PC 1992-2273 of 2 Nov 92)

Brasidas said:
I'm collecting what I've found here, and invite anyone with references or firsthand knowledge to post it here as well.

ok

All About RESO (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/1142.175.html
8 pages.

Forces.ca
Reserve Entry Scheme – Officers
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-5000/5002-8.page

RETP Questions 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/98849.0

See  also,

RETP
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+retp&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=BfNjV83wC4uN8QfSwInoDA&gws_rd=ssl

Is RETP still available for civilians, though? I looked into RMCC and CAF recruiting sites any reference to RETP was nowhere to be found.

Hi.  I read the following in a DND document:  "In recent years, participation in the RETP programme has been dwindling and was zero-loaded in 2016."

What does "zero-loaded" mean?  Is it a cancelled option?  Is it an unpopular option?

MaxBR said:
Hi.  I read the following in a DND document:  "In recent years, participation in the RETP programme has been dwindling and was zero-loaded in 2016."

What does "zero-loaded" mean?  Is it a cancelled option?  Is it an unpopular option?

"zero-loaded" means the course was scheduled, but no pers were loaded onto the course. Effectively, the term is a management tool.
By zero-loading, a course continues to be scheduled as a placeholder in the training system in higher ups ever decide to use the course again.

Back