• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Force BMQ Aldershot

Britt.tyler

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m a new recruit who will be attending Reserve BMQ in Aldershot Spring/Summer 2021.

I’m curious how long this course will be?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's just BMQ, it's about three-ish weeks. I forget if the current day count is 21 days or 23 days.

Those are training days, the BMQ course is 1 month.

Aldershot is a great little base, and beautiful in the spring/ summer enjoy your time there. In the meantime, make sure you are building up your fitness and taking advantage of any PAT training opportunities put on by your unit.

Good luck.

Yes, thanks Loch...I should have clarified training days. I'm used dealing with CITY courses that stretch out over months...

Thanks for the info, it’s much appreciated. Does anyone know of any job protection legislation for leave of absence from a civilian job during BMQ training?

Im a unionized hospital employee and they don’t have any union legislation surrounding this circumstance.

If so, has anyone used such legislation to successfully take an LOA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're in Nova Scotia

https://novascotia.ca/lae/employmentrights/leaves.asp#reservist
Reservist Leave

The Labour Standards Code includes a leave for employees who serve in the Canadian Forces reserve force and require time off from their civilian employment for the purpose of service. The leave can be taken for a deployment inside or outside of Canada €”and associated activities, training required by the Canadian Forces (including military skills training), travel related to deployment and training, and treatment, recovery or rehabilitation with respect to a physical or mental health problem resulting from deployment or training activities. To qualify for this leave, the employee must be employed with their civilian employer for a period of at least three months.

Eligible employees can take up to 24 months of reservist leave within any 60-month period. They can take more leave than this if the leave is required as a result of a national emergency under the Emergencies Act (Canada).

Employees who take reservist leave must return to work no later than four weeks after a deployment related period of service ends. Employees who take reservist leave for training that is unrelated to deployment must return to work no later than the next regularly scheduled working day after the training related period of service ends.

To take Reservist Leave

An employee must give their employer four weeks' written notice of their intention to take reservist leave, the anticipated start and end date of the leave and the anticipated date of return to work. If an employee receives less than four weeks' notice from the Canadian Forces of a requirement to participate in a period of service, they must provide their civilian employer with as much notice as reasonable in the circumstances €”the notice does not need to be given in writing if it is not practicable to do so. If there are any changes to the anticipated start and end dates for the leave and the anticipated return to work date, the employee must inform the employer of these changes as soon as reasonably practicable and must do so in writing if possible.

An employer can require an employee to provide a certificate from an official with the Reserves confirming that the employee is a member of the Reserves who is required for service and specifying the dates for the period of service.

What are CITY courses? Is that an acronym, or does it just mean at armouries in the city as opposed to on base?

CanadianTire said:
Yes, thanks Loch...I should have clarified training days. I'm used dealing with CITY courses that stretch out over months...

Honestly, I'm not sure if it's an acronym, but yes, generally it refers to courses run part-time, out of a local armoury and staffed by one or more local units vs. ones run full-time out of a training school.
I suppose it could stand for "course in the training year."

Back