• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Questions

bryt

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been looking all over this forum and forces.gc.ca and have been unable to find the information I am looking for. Can I join the reserve force while attending full time University classes (from Monday to Friday)? Is it as impossible to get a position in the reserves as some of the posts in this forum seem to suggest or is that just being pessimistic? Who do I contact in Victoria BC to join?

1. Absolutely. Students form the bulk of most units, and the readers are understanding and accommodating of exams and such. The balance can be difficult, but it's absolutely doable. I got through my whole degree while serving and very nearly never missed training.

2. Hiring is competitive. Be prepared to explain why you're more worth our time than the next guy.

3. Victoria has:
Canadian Scottish Regiment; infantry.
5th Field Artillery Regiment; artillery.
39 Signal Regiment; communications.
39 Service Battalion; logistics and support.

I recommend visiting the forces recruiting page and investigating the different trades. When you begin to get a former idea of what you want to apply for, contact one of those units.

A good majority of the guys from my reserves unit (39 Service) are university students. It really comes down to how much of a commitment you want to put in. We meet every Wednesday night plus some weekends and the unit is pretty accommodating if you have to skip an odd weekend/weeknight due to exams or etc. As long as you're not enrolled in summer semesters, you can get all your training done full time over the summers as well. 

Not to mention Victoria also has HMCS Malahat, Naval Reserve Division.

I have looked through the forces.ca jobexplorer and a lot of the jobs sound interesting. Does the job I select have an affect on my chances of being hired? I'm most interested in being trained to be an Infantry Soldier. I would head over to the Canadian Scottish Regiment, but I am unfortunately not in Victoria right now. I looked around and could not find a phone number. Would it make sense for me to head to the reserve in the city I'm at right now (Nanaimo BC) to find somebody to talk to?

It would be best to contact the reserve unit that you wish to join.  Here is the link to their website:

http://www.canadianscottishregiment.ca/index.php?area_id=1011

They actually have a Nanaimo area recruitment contact. What you have to do is contact them and ask them what they are currently recruiting for. If they are recruiting for infantry soldier, then you are able to apply for that. They will have a list of trades that they will train for, then you apply for open trades within that unit. Good luck!

Back