• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves - Kit

Munner

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am getting sworn in this Thursday and they told me that I will also be issued my kit that day. I was just curious as to what this kit will contain. They told me to make sure that I had a car there because I will have lots to carry if I don‘t!

What all is issued with the kit??

Thanks in advance

"Kit" is a term for all your personal clothing and personal equipment

Yes, but what exactly do you get? I‘m not 100% familiar with all the equipment/clothing that I‘ll be getting.

guess what, nobody is when they join. that‘s the whole point of going through basic training, TO LEARN THINGS. Why do recruits come on here asking be told the most mundane information when they can wait a little while and find out on their own? Guess what, people here have better things to do than type up lists of what kind of clothing and equipment you‘ll be given in 3 days. Wait and find out.

Originally posted by 48Highlander:
[qb] guess what, nobody is when they join. that‘s the whole point of going through basic training, TO LEARN THINGS. Why do recruits come on here asking be told the most mundane information when they can wait a little while and find out on their own? Guess what, people here have better things to do than type up lists of what kind of clothing and equipment you‘ll be given in 3 days. Wait and find out. [/qb]
I‘m agreement with the point you made about ‘learning things‘. However, I can understand and appreciate his curiousity (re: kit contents) as I‘m hoping to make PRes myself. I don‘t see a problem with someone wanting to ask questions. This is a forum isn‘t it?

I think 48‘s point is that even if this guy doesn‘t know exactly what he‘s going to get, if he knows that he should bring his car, he should know that it‘s going to be a lot. Nobody has the time to type out a complete list of everything you‘re issued, and it shouldn‘t be expected that someone will. The original poster was told that he‘d get his clothing, etc. Good enough.

Yes, I can see 48‘s reasoning. It‘d be a long list indeed. Maybe he could‘ve worded his answer like you just did. ;)

I did a quick search and found this thread. http://army.ca/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/16/706?
Hope this helps,
Greg

Thanks Freight!

As for 48 I‘m just excited about joining and was anxious to find out! It‘s not like I‘m coming on here and asking for you to explain everythign that I‘m going to learn in basic training.

Forums are a place for people to meet and discuss things and for new people to maybe ask a few questions. If you didn‘t want to answer you didn‘t have to, no need to go on a big rant. With the amount time that it took you to get all worked up and write your unhelpful, fairly useless response you could have rambled off a quick list of things.

Anyways, you obviously have much "better things" you could be doing then reading some dumb new recruits message right? You better get back to those things and not waste any more time here! Go Go Go!

I assume that the old ODs are still issued so they can get rid of them. If this army is so cash strapped, why not follow the American example and sell the old-issue uniforms and gear off to wholesalers, retailers and collectors by the case?

If you‘re that anxious and excited about a few pieces of equipment, you‘ll pee yourself before you even make it to weapons training. And if your attitude on here is indicative of how you‘ll respond to your course staff, you will NOT pass your basic training.

There‘s no such thing as a stupid question.

Just a lot of inquisitive idiots.

I‘m excited about the whole experience, not just the few pieces of equipment. I don‘t see why you are making such a big deal out of this. I was just curious as to what exactly was going to be in the kit, so I thought I‘d post a quick question.

My attitude towards you in not indicative of how I‘ll respond to the course staff. obviously that would not fly very well. But these are just forums, and it‘s frustrating to see people like you come on here with their "i‘m better than you because I‘m more experienced" attitudes. Remember that you were also a new wide eyed recruit at one time. These forums are a place for people to come and learn something, so why don‘t you try having some patience with the new recruits instead of posting negative comments. You‘re not really contributing anything usefull by putting people down.

Originally posted by 48Highlander:
[qb] If you‘re that anxious and excited about a few pieces of equipment, you‘ll pee yourself before you even make it to weapons training. There‘s no such thing as a stupid question.

Just a lot of inquisitive idiots. [/qb]
48, I think that remark was unwarranted. As I said before, this is a forum. I‘m sure that at times some inquiries might seem a bit redundant; however, everyone has to start somewhere. What would be better? Giving everyone ‘read-only access‘ except you?

Using common sense would be a start. Now I understand that common sense is in short supply these days, but there are certain things that should be rather obvious. If he was really so curious he could have asked whoever it was that told him he‘d be getting his kit on that day. They would have given him an answer similar to the one that Scarlino provided. If he then asked "Yes, but what exactly do you get?" (as he did here), he would have been given an answer similar to the one I provided. Asking your questions in a forum instead of in real life does not autoaticaly make it alright to disregaurd all common sense and protocol.

Actually it was because I used common sense at the time that I did not ask those questions. At the time, the person who told me I would be getting my kit was busy, and I didn‘t want to bother her with any other questions. Instead, I figured I would come here where people can choose whether or not to reply, and do so at their our leisure.

Perhaps it is you that is lacking common sense, and also lacking general respect for others.

Anyways, the object of my post was not to start an argument. Freight directed me to the info that I was looking for, so I see no point in furthering this petty argument with you. It‘s funny however that you say you have better things to do, yet you somehow manage to reply to my posts mere minutes after I post them! I can see how you wouldn‘t have been able to pencil in 3 minutes to type out a list of things I would be getting.

a) I have no respect for recruits, especially ones asking dumbass questions. pass your course and I might show you some.

b) I get many, MANY questions like yours every day. They‘re always the same, annoying as ****, and totally pointless. If I "pencilled in 3 minutes" for each of them...you get the idea.

c) I‘m not fighting with you. My last post was directed at Kurbo.

d) you‘re not a god**** private, you‘re a recruit. pull that ******* chevron off of your profile, you haven‘t earned it yet.

that‘s it from me. if you have any intelligent questions to ask in the future I‘ll be more than happy to answer them. untill then, go away.

Everyone, chilax.

Munner, grow some thick skin. You‘ll need it during course. If you think 48th is being hard on you for no good reason, wait until you‘re on your course.

While this is just a mere forum and we do try to keep things as casual as possible, there is a some sort of hierarchy here, as this is a military forum.
So, when at least a corporal tells you to STFU because you‘re a recruit, you STFU and go away and chew on why the corporal/whatever rank told you to STFU.
Then if you still think you have a problem with it, ask him why you should STFU and please, take it to personal email or PM.

Life is not fair, even more so in military world.

Enthusiasm is good, but you‘d find it better that keeping your mouth shut most of the time while learning from those who have more experience would benefit you well. Talking too much makes you stand out and those who stand out tend to have harder time on course.

To reinterate what I‘m trying to say, this is a MILITARY forum, not a CIVVY forum. We promote military thinking here, not civvy ways.

Remember, you may just meet members of this forum during your military career and you don‘t want to piss them off. :)

PS: Munner, one chevron is rank of a trained private. You‘re a no hook private RECRUIT. You don‘t get your one hook until you pass your trade course.

Originally posted by BDTyre:
[qb] I assume that the old ODs are still issued so they can get rid of them. If this army is so cash strapped, why not follow the American example and sell the old-issue uniforms and gear off to wholesalers, retailers and collectors by the case? [/qb]
Because the return will be pennies on the dollar...

The old uniforms still do the job for recruits, actually, they‘re even better for recruits, they wrinkle rather easily compared to the new uniforms, and the wrinkles show much more easily, takes a lot more work to keep them looking good...

Back