• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves on Reg Force courses.

We currently have several MCpl's on the LAV gunner/crew comdr course. Looking forward to more of the opportunities that come up as a result of being willing to deploy.

Cheers,

HH

Willing to deploy?
... how about, expected to deploy.

You can find lessons on rappelling, driving, artillery, infanty, equipment, etc. at http://www3.telus.net/helper33/#_TRADE_LESSON_PLANS

Reservists need to be willing to deploy for the time being. Expected? Maybe hopeful is a better way to put it......that it is hoped that a reservist will be keen to deploy.

HollywoodHitman said:
Reservists need to be willing to deploy for the time being. Expected? Maybe hopeful is a better way to put it......that it is hoped that a reservist will be keen to deploy.
Would think that training someone as a LAV driver, Gunner or Crew commander - only for him to go back to his reserve unit is a somewhat waste of training money.  Skills taught will become dated & forgotten if not put to use on a regular basis - and unfortunately, we don't have the volume of vehicles to make that a certainty....

Soo.... under that idea, personnel taking any LAV course should be expecting to deploy... else, what's the point?

Agreed on being expected to deploy if given a course on the LAV. It'd be nice if the system was equipped to train everyone on each piece of equipment (like the LAV) but at the end of the day, even if the reservist who is on the LAV course, suddenly decided not to go.......Thats that. No chance (in my unit anyway) that they'd ever get a good course again, but there would really be nothing the military could do....

Unless a Class C is signed....and they're not keen on issuing those until the last minute.

HollywoodHitman said:
Agreed on being expected to deploy if given a course on the LAV. It'd be nice if the system was equipped to train everyone on each piece of equipment (like the LAV) but at the end of the day, even if the reservist who is on the LAV course, suddenly decided not to go.......Thats that. No chance (in my unit anyway) that they'd ever get a good course again, but there would really be nothing the military could do....

Unless a Class C is signed....and they're not keen on issuing those until the last minute.

Unless in exceptional situations, class C is restricted to overseas service and the training period that preceeds it.  Class Cs are not signed at the last minute, they are extended just prior to deployment.

Eg: People on TF 3/07 were on Cl C last September for their lead up trg.  They will have the Cl C extended for the actual mission in July of this year for the actual deployment.  Reg force work for reg force salary..... no longer "cheap labour"

I thought the Cl C was only signed once the individual DAGed red?

Reservists who apply for a mission must dag the biggies before being entitled to Cl C =
- Doctor, Immunization
- Dentist,
- Padre / social worker,
- CO
- Fitness test

Someone can attend PSTC training in Kingston without having completed his checklist. If the above 5 are done, he should be paid Cl C.  If they are not, they will only be paid Cl B and there will be NO retroactive adjustment once they have dagged Green..

geo said:
Reservists who apply for a mission must dag the biggies before being entitled to Cl C =
- Doctor, Immunization
- Dentist,
- Padre / social worker,
- CO
- Fitness test

Someone can attend PSTC training in Kingston without having completed his checklist. If the above 5 are done, he should be paid Cl C.  If they are not, they will only be paid Cl B and there will be NO retroactive adjustment once they have dagged Green..

From what I've been told / given to read about TF 3-08, Cl C will be granted for those Dag'd YELLOW, so the individual doesn't pay out of pocket for whatever med / dental repairs are needed to DAG GREEN.

given that personnel on class A are either covered by their Employer's dental plan OR the CFs dental plan... he shouldn't be out of pocket any more than usual... so long as he has been looking after his teeth.

geo said:
given that personnel on class A are either covered by their Employer's dental plan OR the CFs dental plan... he shouldn't be out of pocket any more than usual... so long as he has been looking after his teeth.
You presume that all civvie employers OFFER dental plans. I'm a licensed professional engineer, and my employer is sufficiently small that they've only last year offered an extended health plan. Dental & vision may be in the works, but probably not by the time I hand in my papers to go play in the sandbox.

As the song says, It ain't necessarily so...

tank recce said:
From what I've been told / given to read about TF 3-08, Cl C will be granted for those Dag'd YELLOW, so the individual doesn't pay out of pocket for whatever med / dental repairs are needed to DAG GREEN.

Cl B over 180 days are entitled to health care at crown expense, so the 7 month + workups should cover that, even they're yellow when they arrive.  Many of us here are getting our ducks in a row ASAP, that 15% difference during workups is what makes it financially feasable for some of us to take the time needed for the mission.

DF

ParaMedTech said:
Cl B over 180 days are entitled to health care at crown expense, so the 7 month + workups should cover that, even they're yellow when they arrive.  Many of us here are getting our ducks in a row ASAP, that 15% difference during workups is what makes it financially feasable for some of us to take the time needed for the mission.

DF

That would depend if they're given a continuous Class B up until they get on class C, or if they get 89 day contracts with breaks in between, which I wouldn't doubt seeing.....BTW, Happy B-day

Sig_Des said:
That would depend if they're given a continuous Class B up until they get on class C, or if they get 89 day contracts with breaks in between, which I wouldn't doubt seeing.....BTW, Happy B-day
Not sure where you get that atitude... Reservists on work up training in the Combat & support arms are now being well looked after.  The minute they have dagged, they are paid class C, (same as regs) for the duration of their training.  If they are selected for deployment - or kept on the hook as the rear guard, they will continue to be paid Class C....
Somewhat different for troops being sent on a mission that is not an organised TF (eg: Op Bronze/Boreas) Paid class C if dagged during PSTC training, then back to unit on class A or B until predeployment leave commences... then class C

The old days of signing cl C contracts just before you hop onto a plane out AND class C terminated, the moment you and your stretcher hit canadian soil on your return are long gone.

At least that's how it's done in LFQA

Geo

geo said:
The old days of signing cl C contracts just before you hop onto a plane out AND class C terminated, the moment you and your stretcher hit canadian soil on your return are long gone.

At least that's how it's done in LFQA

Everything I've heard (At the HSS Ops Conference) indicates that's the case in LFWA for 1-08.

Oh, thanks Des!  ;D

DF

Huh???
As far as I know, the LFQA reservists are being paid Cl C as they undergo their lead up training.  One of the J1 type Captains I work with is detached - on the NCE staff for TF 3/07 since Dec 15th... and has been paid Cl C since then... (and he was paid Cl C the whole time he was on stand-by mode with TF 4/06..).
I will talk to the J1 Ops people in the morning for any changes....

Geo, poor cutting of the quote on my part.  :-[ 

"Those days are long gone" is what I should have left in.  teach me to post before my coffee.

Yes, as soon as the DAG is green, it's a Cl C, that continues until after the return.  Continuous service, continuous benefits.

Back