• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RESERVES: Which combat trade and why?

JackieGirl

Inactive
Reaction score
I originally wanted to be a med tech in the CF, but I need a couple years to qualify still. During this time, I was thinking of joining the combat arms in the reserves (I live right in Edmonton). My mentality was "if I prove to be a good solider, than I'll prove to be an even better med tech!"

I'm tiny, tough and still unsure as to which branch of the combat arms would be best to join. Armoured and artillery look pretty interesting, but I'm not sure...  I'm gonna give myself more time to think before handing in my application.

Which choice do you like personally, and why? 

Please start your reading here:

Comparing the Combat Arms (Inf vs. Engr vs. Armd vs. Arty)

Then, if you have more specific questions, please start with the search page (use the feature to limit the age of thread to find the most recent posts on your queries). When that approach (using different likely word combinations) doesn't find the answer you are looking for, add a detailed question to the most applicable thread.

Welcome to the forum.

Milnet.ca Staff

Please clarify "but I need a couple years to qualify still.".

As far as I know, there isn't any special pre-qualification for the Primary Reserve (P Res) Medical Technician trade.

As for combat arms, particularly in the Reserves, I would recommend the Infantry.

1. Generally, there are more Infantry units within the same area than armored, artillery or combat engineer units, so it gives you more choice as to where you will be working. Sometimes proximity can make life a little easier.
2. Infantry is a good introduction to the army.  You really do not get any more basic than the infantry.
3. Size isn't as important a factor in infantry work as are cardiovascular and muscular endurance.
4. The infantry expands directly on skills learned by all combat trades, i.e. personal marksmanship, fieldcraft, navigation rather than learning skills particular to another combat trade. As such, for someone with the intention to later change trade, you aren't learning trade specific skills you will never likely use within the medic trade, but you can always need a strong background in the basic military skills.
5. It is what I did and as an admin clerk, I am frequently glad during training for the years I spent as a rifleman.

Everyone's biased for their own trade, so pick something that YOU would enjoy doing. Go down to the local reserve unit and have a look around on a parade night, talk to the soldiers and unit recruiter.

Though personally I suggest you go Armoured. After all, why carry your kit when your kit can carry you?  ;) True you're not all guns blazing like the Infantry but Armoured still gets to see some really cool stuff (and we do dismounted patrols like the Infantry)

Thanks for the replies.

I HAD read that thread already, but was hoping for some more in depth responses as to what the reserve combat arms are like, and what are peoples opinions on them.  (The remark about the kit carrying you made me laugh!) Sorry for not being as specific as I could have been. My bad!  :salute:

As for Med Tech Qualifications... you need chem and bio high school credits, and a valid drivers license. I'm working on my chemistry and class five drivers right now, so it'll be three years.

I'm just curious JackieGirl, why will that take you 3 years? I'm starting some upgrading as well at the moment and even though I only officially have grade 10. I can enter directly into bio 12 and chem 11 as a mature student. That would only take me around 4 or 5 months to complete...I'm in BC though. Maybe different in your Province.

Edit: You never mentioned your age. Sorry, I suppose you could still be in school and won't be graduating for a few years...

It'll take me three years because of the drivers license! It's a pain, but that's how it is. (You get your learners for a year, then you are a probationary driver for two more in Alberta).

I'm 18 in a couple of weeks, and just graduated high school. Unfortunately, I was a bit of a numb nut, and only did my science 30 during that time, thinking I wouldn't need bio or chem.

Tetragrammaton said:
3. Size isn't as important a factor in infantry work as are cardiovascular and muscular endurance.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you there.  The 55 to 100ish lbs of kit carried on your body is far easier if one weighs more than a buck-ten.

Yes, there are exceptions.  I've seen and or served a few of them but in todays operations tiny is rare in the Infantry.

JackieGirl said:
As for Med Tech Qualifications... you need chem and bio high school credits, and a valid drivers license. I'm working on my chemistry and class five drivers right now, so it'll be three years.
Check with a recruiter about the class 5 requirement.  It might not apply to PRes Medical Technicians.

JackieGirl said:
I originally wanted to be a med tech in the CF, but I need a couple years to qualify still. During this time, I was thinking of joining the combat arms in the reserves (I live right in Edmonton). My mentality was "if I prove to be a good solider, than I'll prove to be an even better med tech!"

I'm tiny, tough and still unsure as to which branch of the combat arms would be best to join. Armoured and artillery look pretty interesting, but I'm not sure...  I'm gonna give myself more time to think before handing in my application.

Which choice do you like personally, and why?
Well the choice is totally in your hands, I myself  applied to the Reg force Sig Op because there was no combat arms opened and it sounded interesting, but thinking on it more I kinda didn't want to take someones spot who really had their heart set o it and I just wanted to get in, so i chatted with the Recruiter down at Jefferson Armoury and some combat arms were in fact available, so I transferred into Combat Engineer which I really would enjoy.

If your having trouble finding a trade maybe head on down to the Jefferson Armoury and speak with the Recruiter their, he is really informative and will put you on the right path. But like I said the choice is yours, on the Forces website there are trade description's and there pretty detailed, and if you need more info on a trade ask here, since I wanted Combat Engineer I found some guys on this forum and asked, but I did enough research about the trade that I think the only question I had was why were they called Sapper's

I also live in Edmonton and I know the Reserves are looking for people.
Good Luck.

Back