• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservists + Work

NinerSix said:
My company pays for and organizes training days for us to get training which pales in comparisson to most of the military training I get. The CFLC shoud be able to make her see what you would get out of the training and how it benefits her and the company.

How'd you ever manage to convince your employer to give you time off for training?

My previous employer would cringe at the thought of giving me even just 3 days off.... I can't even begin to imagine their reaction if I needed several weeks for training. Thankfully, I do not serve them any more.

JorgSlice said:
How'd you ever manage to convince your employer to give you time off for training?

My previous employer would cringe at the thought of giving me even just 3 days off.... I can't even begin to imagine their reaction if I needed several weeks for training. Thankfully, I do not serve them any more.

Some employers and organizations actually value the training the CF provides, and will do what is right. Particularly government, where politicians who don't approve military leave policy may just suffer some dire consequences come election time.

Given that ninersix is with the MPs, I'd venture a guess that they may indeed fall in that category outside the armoury.

Conversely, maybe the employer is happy to get some individuals out from under foot  :whistle:

Some reservists ruin it for their peers and follow on members when they burn bridges and lie to their employers about being required to attend weekend ex's and 2 week ex's.  Being told 'oh ya surprisr I HAVE to take a week off for the army next week  sorry!' makes employers think twice about hiring them.

:nod:  Yep, it's important to be upfront about the whole thing, for many reasons - and it sounds like the OP's approaching it that way.  Good. 

Bluebulldog said:
Some employers and organizations actually value the training the CF provides, and will do what is right.

City of Toronto employees can take Leave With Pay for two weeks every calendar year for military training.

"Employees are paid their regular pay provided they submit any compensation received for military service to the city treasurer, unless this compensation is paid for days they are not scheduled to work."

Compensation received for travelling expenses and meal allowance does not have to be returned to the city.

All benefits, seniority, vacation entitlement, and pension credit continue during leave.

mariomike said:
All benefits, seniority, vacation entitlement, and pension credit continue during leave.

Great policy, & the quoted part in particular.  Kudos to the City of Toronto.  :salute:

Well, talked to the store owner and explained it all to him.  Looks like they won't be able to flex for my schedule so... boo-urns.  Thanks for all the help guys!

Cheers

Sorry to hear that.  Are you leaving the job in order to do the training, or the other way around? 

If you're going with the training, I hope your next employer is able to be more flexible.  Good luck to you.

No, no.  I've been working hard for 2 years to get into the forces... I'm not giving it up.  I will be continuing with my basic training in 2 weeks regardless if this job wants to flex :)  I'd like to make it a career! ;)

I am undergoing BMQ, three weeks in.  I recently got a job at RBC, during my interview I was upfront and I informed about the time conflict and that it might conflict with my training both at BMQ and with them, but I was offered the job anyways and I accepted it.  I assumed since I was offered it, that they could accommodate me.

Today, 28/Jan/13 I had my first day at RBC, and the impression I got was that they cannot and/or would not be able to work around my BMQ.  I do not want to miss any BMQ classes.  What are my options? has anyone worked with a large company and faced the same issues? Any advice would be appreciated it. 

Thanks in Advance!

:cdn: TorScottMo :cdn:

TorScottMo said:
What are my options? 

You can ask your Human Resources staff if your new employer has a Military Leave Policy.

Edit to add.
Some discussions such as this you may find helpful.
This one is fairly recent.

"Reservists + Work": 
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/107451.0

I've shot the question to a primary reservist I know who up until recently was working for RBC, and was given time off to deploy. He may have some insight specific enough to help you. When I hear back from him I'll let you know what I find out.

Brihard said:
I've shot the question to a primary reservist I know who up until recently was working for RBC, and was given time off to deploy. He may have some insight specific enough to help you. When I hear back from him I'll let you know what I find out.

Since I will not deploying any time soon, I do not think that that will be an issue for now, but I do plan on taking BMQ-L and DP1 in the summer I do not want to wait till next year.

TorScottMo said:
Since I will not deploying any time soon, I do not think that that will be an issue for now, but I do plan on taking BMQ-L and DP1 in the summer I do not want to wait till next year.

Yes, understood. However from the RBC end the policies are likely either identical or similar enough to be of some informative value. Anyway, I'll let you know.

Just got a reply to my question on military leave policy: "They do. If he's brand new he might be out of luck. But tell him to search on 'Me & RBC > My Pay & Benefits' [on RBC intranet] and he should find the military leave policy. Unless he's mission essential to the bank they should accommodate him."

Hope this helps.

If Brihard is talking about the same guy I know then it's bang on advice. This member was pretty much encouraged by RBC. That's not to say it's going to apply in every situation, but from the surface it looks pretty damned good.

Scott said:
This member was pretty much encouraged by RBC.
...and when he returned, RBC was no longer employing him (?)

I'm sure I read somewhere....
Journeyman said:
Conversely, maybe the employer is happy to get some individuals out from under foot  :whistle:

Brihard said:
Just got a reply to my question on military leave policy: "They do. If he's brand new he might be out of luck. But tell him to search on 'Me & RBC > My Pay & Benefits' [on RBC intranet] and he should find the military leave policy. Unless he's mission essential to the bank they should accommodate him."

Hope this helps.

Thank You, I am brand new so I might be SOL, but I go in today and I will get more details

Back