• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Restricted Rifle siezed unless transfered

This is with regard to my SRS, and its legality in BC as a U.S. citizen with a work visa;

I have accepted a software job in BC.
I am a US citizen, and long time marksman.

I am leaving a few of my weapons behind for now, as they will require much hoop-jumping to possess legally in BC.

but, i do own a Desert Tactical Arms Stealth Recon Scout that i am in love with and would hate to have to leave behind when i move.

from what i read here, all variants of this bolt action are un-restricted, and it would be legal for me to bring with me when i move.
(as long as i go through the proper channels of registration)

1. where can i as a civilian, and U.S. citizen, go to see a list of the very latest legal classification of makes and models of firearms in Canada.
( the FRT is what i want, and i am dumbfounded that it is not publicly a freely available) but there must be an up to date web version or at least something similar.

2. are all commercially available versions of this bolt action currently and truly un-restricted in Canada (and BC in particular)?

3. how do i make sure that if this gun truly is legal for me to posses and transport within BC, that it will not be taken from me by an over-zealous non-law-abiding law enforcement entity?

4. would welcome any other related advice for a lifelong marksman, law abiding and respectful U.S citizen who does not want to give up his gun culture roots completely when moving to  B.C to work.

Thanks for any help.
-USTransplant

one other quick question:

I have been to the "List of restricted and prohibited weapons" (rcmp-grc.gc.ca), but this seems a little old, if not totally out of date...( or am i being fooled by the 1998 dates mentioned in it?)

you see, I also own a California-compliant SCAR 17s, (fixed mag, non-foldable stock, five round capacity, meets length requirement for canada) and its not listed on the rcmp list as restricted or prohibited.
does this mean that the SCAR 17 in this configuration would be legal for me to posess in BC?.. and how would i find that out before attempting to bring it in and/or register it?

-thanks

usTransplant said:
1. where can i as a civilian, and U.S. citizen, go to see a list of the very latest legal classification of makes and models of firearms in Canada.
( the FRT is what i want, and i am dumbfounded that it is not publicly a freely available) but there must be an up to date web version or at least something similar.

2. are all commercially available versions of this bolt action currently and truly un-restricted in Canada (and BC in particular)?

3. how do i make sure that if this gun truly is legal for me to posses and transport within BC, that it will not be taken from me by an over-zealous non-law-abiding law enforcement entity?

1. You can't. Sucks, but that's it.

2. So far as I can tell.

3. Legal classification is non- restricted. The Firearms Reference No. is 128024. That info is from 2011.

It's up to you to ensure you have all the correct paperwork to import into Canada and possess while you're here.

Firearms dealers usually have an FRT table kicking around.  As for bringing it from the US into Canada, its not so much about our import laws as it is their export laws.

I would highly suggest going to www.canadiangunnutz.com and asking your question there, as there are a number of dealers and some extremely knowledgeable people there.

I would highly recommend getting in touch with the CSSA and giving them any info you have on this matter. That should be a non-restricted gun. I saw some posts from someone saying they had a SCAR 17 and wanted to bring it to Canada. I believe it would be non-restricted here. The only problem is the US will not issue an export permit for them. That is why hardly anyone has one here.

Back