• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retention Issues

For what ts worth to this discussion - before it gets too far off track - i'll throw my 2 cents in,

I did not leave the trade because i was treated like shit.  I left simply because i was looking for something different.  i got tired of the same regular routine of Ex in Wainwright/gagetown.whatever and then spending a few months in troop stores not doing much. I didnt relish the idea of yet another tour in the FRY.  I was at CFSME at the time of my OT and had been there for 3 years. I was not looking forward to another 4-5 years there either.  When i went to CFSME it had been sold to me as a break from regimental routine.  It turned out to be nothing but.  Leardership at the school at the time, IMHO, was more interested in other things than training soldiers. Seemed to me that in a place where we were charged with the training of young soldiers, we should have been treated less like children and more like adults but thats only my opinion.  i saw my PER go from very hight, to very low and back again without any substantiation.  I saw people get promoted who couldnt do the job they had, much less their new one.......So one day i saw an oportunity to try something else.  For good or bad, i went for it.........then i got treated like shit.

anyways , i'm not making any sense.....

Aesop081, you are making sense. I'm not trying to get under anyone's skin here, but being treated like a child isn't being treated great. You are another case of great experince and dedication walking out the door. It sounds like you wish you were an Engineer again?

This thread has me thinking now,

I remember when i left CFSME, a few people were thinking of an OT.  I recently ran into a sgt that has since remustered to SAR that was at the school at the time.  I also remember that quite a few newly minted sgts from the regiments took an OT to various trades.  I always found it odd that no alarm bells seem to have gone off at the senior-senior leadership level.  Guy with long time careers, who have reached Sr NCO level are willing to take a hit and start from scratch and the leadership behaves as if nothing is wrong..........

Exactly!! It isn't Engineers are treated like crap, across the board, but the ones that want out think they are. Here lies the problem.
From the bottom looking up it doesn't seem that the senior leadership is really aware of why there is a retention problem. I would imagine that from the top looking down it's very frustrating. I'll let you know when I get there.  ;)

Mmmmmmmmm,

Okay, here is the perspective from a former Tp WO:

1.    When a soldier gets posted to a troop, he will fill out a peronal information form which lists such information as DOB, NOK, Shoe Size, etc. As well, and this is very important, he lists what courses he desires and whether or not he wishes to deploy. This information is important because it allows the Tp WO and Tp Comd the ability to load courses without consulting the troops themselves. When a soldier comes to me and says, "WO, I don't want to go on my LAV Gnr course because I have a wedding in Haliburton which I am hoping to take 2 days annual leave for" I either do one of two things...........pull him from the course, or keep him on the course and tell him that his best friend will have to find another best man.  This sounds cold and lacks compassion, but really, did he not state on his personal info sheet that the wanted the course? Oh yes, he did. Either way, this WO's memory is like an elephant therefore I will never forget so he will never get this course again due to asking for something and then not willing to do it. Be careful what you ask for, you may just get it.

2.    Same thing goes for a tour, if a soldier DAGs red, that to me sort of indicates that he really isn't deployable either overseas, on course or in the field. In a operational unit, that is a problem I believe.

3.    If a soldier gets in trouble that has career implications, meaning C&P, then that soldier will not get any courses period. If the soldier feels sad that he gets bumped from Tp to Tp and Sqn to Sqn then that is unfortunate however, I am sure that you will understand why he gets moved around.

4.    If a soldiers performance is below standard and noted in both his PDR's and PER's, please refer to para 2.

5.    NCO's are not mind readers. If a soldier is bored, or feeling sick and tired of being a Cbt Engineer, tell us!!!!! Often times the questions are put out to the troops in the breezeway as to what training they would like to do. Speak UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

6.    The leadership does not think that OT's or releases are bad things. It is part of the military food chain. As for the reason why so many NCO's OT'd one year vice the next..........who cares. There are many more capable pers waiting in the wings for the opportunity to lead. Not a bad thing in my books.

My two cents and they are very open for discussion.

CHIMO!

2023 said:
Mmmmmmmmm,

1.    When a soldier gets posted to a troop, he will fill out a peronal information form which lists such information as DOB, NOK, Shoe Size, etc. As well, and this is very important, he lists what courses he desires and whether or not he wishes to deploy. This information is important because it allows the Tp WO and Tp Comd the ability to load courses without consulting the troops themselves. When a soldier comes to me and says, "WO, I don't want to go on my LAV Gnr course because I have a wedding in Haliburton which I am hoping to take 2 days annual leave for" I either do one of two things...........pull him from the course, or keep him on the course and tell him that his best friend will have to find another best man.  This sounds cold and lacks compassion, but really, did he not state on his personal info sheet that the wanted the course? Oh yes, he did. Either way, this WO's memory is like an elephant therefore I will never forget so he will never get this course again due to asking for something and then not willing to do it. Be careful what you ask for, you may just get it.

2.     Same thing goes for a tour, if a soldier DAGs red, that to me sort of indicates that he really isn't deployable either overseas, on course or in the field. In a operational unit, that is a problem I believe.

3.     If a soldier gets in trouble that has career implications, meaning C&P, then that soldier will not get any courses period. If the soldier feels sad that he gets bumped from Tp to Tp and Sqn to Sqn then that is unfortunate however, I am sure that you will understand why he gets moved around.

4.     If a soldiers performance is below standard and noted in both his PDR's and PER's, please refer to para 2.

5.     NCO's are not mind readers. If a soldier is bored, or feeling sick and tired of being a Cbt Engineer, tell us!!!!! Often times the questions are put out to the troops in the breezeway as to what training they would like to do. Speak UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

6.     The leadership does not think that OT's or releases are bad things. It is part of the military food chain. As for the reason why so many NCO's OT'd one year vice the next..........who cares. There are many more capable pers waiting in the wings for the opportunity to lead. Not a bad thing in my books.

CHIMO!

2023, you make all valid points, i agree whole-heartedly.  You know i hold your opinion i high regards. The only point i will disagree with you on is #6

I will purposly skip the details and names but when my OT went in, the reaction that i got was less than welcoming and i remember visiting a few offices that week explaining myself.

cbt clk said:
Exactly!! It isn't Engineers are treated like crap, across the board, but the ones that want out think they are. Here lies the problem.
From the bottom looking up it doesn't seem that the senior leadership is really aware of why there is a retention problem. I would imagine that from the top looking down it's very frustrating. I'll let you know when I get there.  ;)

Cbt clk, 

I have read your posts waiting to see some substance (ie. define what "crap" is for a soldier) but alas, I haven't seen any.  I would be interested to hear what the 'issues' are, otherwise, I can only assume that the soldiers you are referring to are poor performers, got reprimanded, became bitter, and are now releasing.  Welcome, to a professional, well disciplined Army I say! p.s. you are not getting under my skin, I actually enjoy the dialogue

2023 said:
Mmmmmmmmm,

2.     Same thing goes for a tour, if a soldier DAGs red, that to me sort of indicates that he really isn't deployable either overseas, on course or in the field. In a operational unit, that is a problem I believe.

3.     If a soldier gets in trouble that has career implications, meaning C&P, then that soldier will not get any courses period. If the soldier feels sad that he gets bumped from Tp to Tp and Sqn to Sqn then that is unfortunate however, I am sure that you will understand why he gets moved around.

4.     If a soldiers performance is below standard and noted in both his PDR's and PER's, please refer to para 2.

5.     NCO's are not mind readers. If a soldier is bored, or feeling sick and tired of being a Cbt Engineer, tell us!!!!! Often times the questions are put out to the troops in the breezeway as to what training they would like to do. Speak UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

6.     The leadership does not think that OT's or releases are bad things. It is part of the military food chain. As for the reason why so many NCO's OT'd one year vice the next..........who cares. There are many more capable pers waiting in the wings for the opportunity to lead. Not a bad thing in my books.

CHIMO! 

Roger that.

S6

Sapper6 said:
Cbt clk, 

the soldiers you are referring to are poor performers, got reprimanded, became bitter, and are now releasing. 

S6

Just so we are clear, those are not reason why i left

aesop081 said:
S6

Just so we are clear, those are not reason why i left

I know, I respect your reasons.  In fact, any MCpl-Sgt who wants  to OT is fine in my books as we get to keep all that experience in the CF.  Its the Spr-Cpls that complain of being mistreated that hacks me off. 

S6 (a man who has done four years as an OCdt and one year as a 2Lt....it doesn't get any lower than that! Chimo!)

Sapper6 said:
I know, I respect your reasons.  In fact, any MCpl-Sgt who wants  to OT is fine in my books as we get to keep all that experience in the CF.  Its the Spr-Cpls that complain of being mistreated that hacks me off. 

S6 (a man who has done four years as an OCdt and one year as a 2Lt....it doesn't get any lower than that! Chimo!)

Ack

CHImo

2023 said:
We, as Engineers are the only Combat Arms solders who get to do our jobs for real when we deploy overseas so to hear someone complain about Op Tempo drives me nuts.

Chimo!

Explain this,no one else picked up on it but I just want to understand what you mean.It seems simple but I doubt a man of your rank could honestly say that.Maybe I missed something.

regards

RCAC,

What I mean is that as a Combat Engineer, in garrison and on exercise, we do things for fake because that is what it is, training. We lay fake minefields, we lay fake booby traps, we breach fake minefields, we breach fake booby traps, etc. When we deploy on Operation, fake goes right out the window and we get to do our jobs for real. Not a lot civilians appreciate that but that is the fact.

2023 said:
We, as Engineers are the only Combat Arms solders who get to do our jobs for real when we deploy overseas so to hear someone complain about Op Tempo drives me nuts.
2023 said:
When we deploy on Operation, fake goes right out the window and we get to do our jobs for real. Not a lot civilians appreciate that but that is the fact.

Ahhh...so you've gone from being the only person in the army who actually works....to being misunderstood by the civies. Well aren't you just the centre of the universe (I'm not an astrophysicist, so I don't know whether that makes you a Black Hole or some other kind of  * hole).

Just so I don't misunderstand your shifting perspective, you believe:
- the infantry was told Tora Bora was the leave centre?
- the section responding to a mortar attack in Kandahar is just playing?
- the record sniper kill was made by a guy just goofing off because he was bored?
- the recce troops are merely doing a dustier version of sim training?
- or for that matter, the clerk trying to keep track of everyone's pay and allowances in-theatre is just going through the motions?

......while YOU are only one doing your job for real? 

Does that crown of thorns in your Messianic complex sting at all?

:rofl:

I believe he was trying to say that the ONLY time we get do our jobs "for real" is overseas, as, due to the , err, explosive nature of our jobs, there is very little "real life" use for our work back here.  Just a guesss on my part, but it's sorta the way I always felt...

Journeyman said:
Ahhh...so you've gone from being the only person in the army who actually works....to being misunderstood by the civies. Well aren't you just the centre of the universe (I'm not an astrophysicist, so I don't know whether that makes you a Black Hole or some other kind of  * hole).

Just so I don't misunderstand your shifting perspective, you believe:
- the infantry was told Tora Bora was the leave centre?
- the section responding to a mortar attack in Kandahar is just playing?
- the record sniper kill was made by a guy just goofing off because he was bored?
- the recce troops are merely doing a dustier version of sim training?
- or for that matter, the clerk trying to keep track of everyone's pay and allowances in-theatre is just going through the motions?

......while YOU are only one doing your job for real? 

Does that crown of thorns in your Messianic complex sting at all?

Ouch!!! But I do regress,

As Kat states, we get to do our jobs for real. The Inf, as well, outside of normal framework patrolling, gets to do there jobs for real on occasion. Even the artillery have finally gotten into the swing of things. Armd...........I do believe they have been there on occasion as well. However, as a Combat Arm, the Combat Engineers do have, and will have the most difference between "fake" and "real" scenarios.

My comments were in no way meant to slag the Inf as I have toiled with them many times in my career. I have seen recce platoon in action and even walked point for a long range dismounted patrol in Afgan with them. They do, do there jobs for real overthere.

Chimo!!!!!!!

2023 said:
Ouch!!! But I do regress.......Chimo!!!!!!!
Ya...we love you big lugs too. It's like brothers - - always scrapping...until someone else foolishly gets in between. 

(you should put some polysporin on those thorn scrapes anyway  ;)  )

cbt clk said:
Engineers give everything in blood sweat and tears. But you can only give so much.  I've heard the same thing from every single engineer who wants to release or is releasing, the exact same thing!! "I'm tired of being treated like sh_t!!!"
Not Op tempo, not PT standards, not a posting.
They are tired of being treated like a piece of garbage.

Engineers stop treating your troops like they are disposable, they aren't!!

Wow.....I see by your profile you are in Petawawa, so I would assume your buddy is in 2CER. I would honestly like to know exactly what they mean by "I'm tired of being treated like sh_t!!!". While I will admit a few of the leadership at 2CER hasn't a clue as to how to treat a soldier properly, I will have to say that there are probably a few reasons why they are saying that (as I'm sure has already been mentioned):

1) they are a bag of hammers and are bringing it upon themselves. I have seen many a troop being given AMPLE opportunity to sort themselves out, and they just don't get the hint. So because they are a drag upon the remainder of the unit, we're supposed to coddle them and keep giving them chances? I don't think so. I'm willing to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, but if they can't or don't want to sort themselves out, obviously as the old saying goes, s**t's gonna roll downhill.

2) they don't grasp the concept of their employment. As 043's, we are there to support the remainder of the brigade so they can remain mobile and train realistically, PLUS honour the remainder of our tasks elsewhere. With the current shortfall of soldiers at 2CER (TF3-06 is already trolling the ranks of Roto4 for pers to go in August :-[ ), we have been steadily running flat out at times. Does this equate to being treated like s**t? Unfortunately some of the younger guys think it does.

Now, where does the blame lie for that? I place it in a few different places:

- CFSME for not allowing course staff to "stress" QL3 candidates out where they can handle working a couple weeks straight and weird hours without a day off, so that they can best prepare for worst case scenarios (it used be "our QL3 course was much worse than standing in this freezing cold river putting this bridge pier in"  ;) ) I'm not saying treat the incoming guys like subhuman dregs, but at least "condition" them for the long and arduous hours they may have to put in when they get to a unit.

- the individual's Troop leadership starting at the Section 2 IC level. I may be getting a little too big for my britches here, but I try to always get my guys even a few hours off to compensate for the extra long hours they've either worked already or will be working. I know for a fact some Fd Tps' leadership doesn't see it my way, and they keep asking without giving anything back. However, that being said, days or time off doesn't always happen, and that's just the way it is. We are there to support everyone else, and unfortunately we just "have to make it happen" regardless if we're understrength or not.

- the leadership that does indeed treat their troops like crap. While these guys are few and far between in 2CER, some of them feel the need to be saucy and downright degrading to their troops. Why are they like this, I have no clue. It's not hard to tell their soldiers don't want to lift a finger to help them. And all because they can't simply treat their men like men. There have been attempts by many in this unit to sort these last few out, but unfortunately, it seems to fall on deaf ears and nothing is ever done until these guys "shoot themselves in the foot", figuratively speaking of course.

- the individual themselves. Some of these guys just "don't get it". As I've mentioned earlier, our whole existence in life as a CER is to support everyone else. Some of these guys think they're being treated like s**t because some of them have to work long hours while they see some of their buddies in other Tps / Sqns working normal or semi-normal hours. While I agree it's a bit of a downer, it's just the way the cookie crumbles.
On top of that, an important thought was brought up to me the other day on the range by a guy from 3RCR. He says to me after something happened that shouldn't have, "Wow, you engineers are hard on your guys when they f**k up, aren't you?" Back to the old, "nobody f**ks an Engineer like an Engineer".
That got me thinking, 1) are we just hard on our guys for screwing up for the hell of it, or is it because 2) we have to maintain a high standard to ensure everything flows smoothly so the other arms can carry on operations with no interruptions? For me, I hate getting pissed off or having to come down on my guys for no reason, so I think I can safely say I'm not into #1 at all, so it must be #2. The remainder of the BG and / or Bde needs our "things" (for lack of thinking of a better word) to work everytime so they can advance, so there is very little room for low standards and / or sloppiness. I would also not hesitate to say that some of the younger guys take a long time to understand the difference between being forced to operate to a higher standard to ensure everything flows smoothly and being forced to do something just because, as a MCpl, I can make them (which I don't). The sooner these guys understand what a CER is there for and CFSME pounds it into the incoming QL3's, the sooner the retention rate will rise.

392 said:
On top of that, an important thought was brought up to me the other day on the range by a guy from 3RCR. He says to me after something happened that shouldn't have, "Wow, you engineers are hard on your guys when they f**k up, aren't you?" Back to the old, "nobody f**ks an Engineer like an Engineer".
That got me thinking, 1) are we just hard on our guys for screwing up for the hell of it, or is it because 2) we have to maintain a high standard to ensure everything flows smoothly so the other arms can carry on operations with no interruptions? For me, I hate getting pissed off or having to come down on my guys for no reason, so I think I can safely say I'm not into #1 at all, so it must be #2. The remainder of the BG and / or Bde needs our "things" (for lack of thinking of a better word) to work everytime so they can advance, so there is very little room for low standards and / or sloppiness. I would also not hesitate to say that some of the younger guys take a long time to understand the difference between being forced to operate to a higher standard to ensure everything flows smoothly and being forced to do something just because, as a MCpl, I can make them (which I don't). The sooner these guys understand what a CER is there for and CFSME pounds it into the incoming QL3's, the sooner the retention rate will rise.

I've heard the quote "nobody f**cks an Engineer like an Engineer" before and that irks me.  I also, tend to think more along the lines of your #2.  However, I would like to add a bit more and say that by the vary nature of what we do we must be extremely disciplined.  Let me expand.  As Engineers, we often have the most vehicles, stores, equipment and bulk ammo per man than anyone else in the front combat arms.  [Lest anyone get their hackles up, I'm talking about generally.  Each mission is task-tailored, so of course you are not going to take your AVLB, HP-1, line level, philly rod and camoflet set on a foot patrol with the infantry.]  Where I am going with this, is that, by nature, Cbt Engrs are resource heavy.  The more resources you have=more tasks you can do=complicated works program. 

A complicated "works program" means that there is very little room for 'free thinking', particularly when it comes to timings.  For example, let me paint this possible scenario, c/s 22C (Field Sect) is required to complete a wire task for A Coy in 6 hrs.  Immediately after, they are required to link-up with the rest of the Tp to conduct an air-mobile insertion with C Coy [late afternoon].  There is no time to dither or go into a rest-cycle.  However, as Spr Bloggins drives by base camp, he looks out of his LAV and sees B Coy "resting" [they are getting ready to do a night range as they are on a "training cycle"].  My assumption is that Spr Bloggins immediately starts to feel sorry for himself that he is being f**cked over while his Inf colleagues [in this scenario] are suntanning on top of the bunkers.

I see it as doing the job Sappers are paid to do.  Hence the reason to have plenty of personal discipline to be proud of what we do and not constantly compare ourselves to the works programs [if they even exist] of other combat arms sub-units.

If having personal discipline to do all the tasks humanly possible to support a Battle Group/Brigade Group is too much for Spr Bloggins and that causes a retention problem, then maybe he didn't read the recruiting lithograph too closely.

My 2 cents...

S6

2023 said:
Armd...........I do believe they have been there on occasion as well. However, as a Combat Arm, the Combat Engineers do have, and will have the most difference between "fake" and "real" scenarios.

My comments were in no way meant to slag the Inf as I have toiled with them many times in my career. I have seen recce platoon in action and even walked point for a long range dismounted patrol in Afgan with them. They do, do there jobs for real overthere.

Armour have been doing their job from the begining...where do you think all the Int on things come from? From Armour Recce as well as Recce plt.

We all get to do our job whilst in theater...just you guys get more "bang for your buck" as it were    ;)

Regards

Back