• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retire from CAF and entering Fed PS [Merged]

CampCricket said:
I did 25 years in the military and now have an indeterminate position doing what I did in uniform as a civilian. Your best opportunities come from being added to hiring pools. That's how I got in. Positions they hire for that are one of... they usually have someone in mind and arrange the competition or hiring process to bring aboard the preferred candidate. Have watched that happen for over 10 years from my civilian position.

My spouse was a medical release with a priority hire and he was dicked around for 2 years. They would invite him to test for competitions but this was mostly procedural. They already knew the candidate they wanted to hire and went through the hiring process to cover their butts. He was even told he was not qualified to do a position at the base where he held the military equivalent position for 5 years before is release because they wanted someone else... and disqualified him based on the fact they would not consider or placed a greater level of qualifications with the individual with college accreditation. So a DND position blowing off military training that was equivalent or better.

Same with me... I was eliminated from an internal position that would have been a leteral move only - because a key word was missing from my resume... but it appeared in my cover letter. They had some one with 6 months experience in mind that they liked so went out of their way to devalue my 12 years. Also been denied work assignments because supervisors don't want to loose someone with my skills or experience so they wont allow me to progress in my civilian career.

So,basically it comes down to who you know as to whether or not you get placed. But you can slip in if they hire a few people at once and need a qualified pool of people to pick from - or you are willing to take term positions and float around until they hire you.

Too much reality and truth

Agreed Jed.  It is by far, NOT a perfect system.  There are many instances that match what CampCricket posted, some so absurd they would make a Saturday Night Live skit.

We were given a name of a Air Force WO who was deemed a priority hire, I called him in Trenton and asked if he wanted to work in Vancouver doing Marine related stuff. He laughed, said no, but thanked us for calling.

CampCricket said:
I did 25 years in the military and now have an indeterminate position doing what I did in uniform as a civilian. Your best opportunities come from being added to hiring pools. That's how I got in. Positions they hire for that are one of... they usually have someone in mind and arrange the competition or hiring process to bring aboard the preferred candidate. Have watched that happen for over 10 years from my civilian position.

My spouse was a medical release with a priority hire and he was dicked around for 2 years. They would invite him to test for competitions but this was mostly procedural. They already knew the candidate they wanted to hire and went through the hiring process to cover their butts. He was even told he was not qualified to do a position at the base where he held the military equivalent position for 5 years before is release because they wanted someone else... and disqualified him based on the fact they would not consider or placed a greater level of qualifications with the individual with college accreditation. So a DND position blowing off military training that was equivalent or better.

Same with me... I was eliminated from an internal position that would have been a leteral move only - because a key word was missing from my resume... but it appeared in my cover letter. They had some one with 6 months experience in mind that they liked so went out of their way to devalue my 12 years. Also been denied work assignments because supervisors don't want to loose someone with my skills or experience so they wont allow me to progress in my civilian career.

So,basically it comes down to who you know as to whether or not you get placed. But you can slip in if they hire a few people at once and need a qualified pool of people to pick from - or you are willing to take term positions and float around until they hire you.

Nepotism is another issue that ties into your statement above.

Has anyone complained to the minister. I know the ombudsman made some comments along these lines a while back. Hit up your MPs. I think is one of those things that is going to need some political involvement.

This is law and from what I understand from what I'm reading they are ignoring or skirting the law. There needs to be some accountability.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Complaining to MVAC? You'd have better luck with a piece of drywall listening to your concerns.

Recently applied to a position with a department.  The job posting clearly stated "All eligible veterans and CAF personnel may apply".  After completing the on-line application process I received an email stating that I had been de-selected because I did not indicate yes to all of the screening questions.  The questions that I had said no to were questions about whether I had experience working in said department.  I find that a bit dis-ingenuous and mis-leading to say that veterans and CAF personnel can apply, however if you have no experience working in the Department you are applying for, then you don't even get your application in the door for consideration, no matter how qualified you are for the job.  My perception now is that they tag the job posting with "All eligible veterans and CAF personnel may apply" just so that they can say, yes we consider veterans and CAF personnel. 

Sprinting Thistle said:
Recently applied to a position with a department.  The job posting clearly stated "All eligible veterans and CAF personnel may apply".  After completing the on-line application process I received an email stating that I had been de-selected because I did not indicate yes to all of the screening questions.  The questions that I had said no to were questions about whether I had experience working in said department.  I find that a bit dis-ingenuous and mis-leading to say that veterans and CAF personnel can apply, however if you have no experience working in the Department you are applying for, then you don't even get your application in the door for consideration, no matter how qualified you are for the job.  My perception now is that they tag the job posting with "All eligible veterans and CAF personnel may apply" just so that they can say, yes we consider veterans and CAF personnel.

I can believe that as being a credible and accurate analysis of their practices.  Technically, in their books, they were following the intent by advertising, but in reality, not following the intent in their screening process.  Door is only open to apply, but not to enter.

Anyone screened out is (or should be) provided the contact information of the person running the process, and they can have the application reviewed.  If it doesn't say "You must have experience working with this department" in the essential qualifications of the poster, then they cannot use that question in the screening process.

Occam said:
Anyone screened out is (or should be) provided the contact information of the person running the process, and they can have the application reviewed.  If it doesn't say "You must have experience working with this department" in the essential qualifications of the poster, then they cannot use that question in the screening process.

Ah. So naive of you.

I was 3B rel in Sep 15.  I just applied for VAC1002 "Medical Release Attributable to Service Determination" for Statutory Priority.  I ack that it will take some time (likely months) to get a response from VAC. I also ack that I should have done this a long time ago.  So, I am not making complaints about timelines.

However, until I get a decision from VAC, I do believe that I am automatically eligible for Regulatory Priority hiring since my rel was 3B.  Does anyone know how I can get set up for this?  My convo with VAC about this was practically useless as the friendly (really was -- I'm not being sarcastic) indiv kept getting the two special hiring processes mixed up. 

Oh, and just so I don't start up the same confusion again, here are the defs (etc) for the two diff status:

There are two types of priority:

Statutory Priority – for those medically-released with a service-related injury or illness. and

Regulatory Priority – for those medically-released for other reasons. Regulatory priority is only available to Regular Force, Reserve Class B (> 180 days) and Reserve Class C.

Medically-released Veterans with a statutory entitlement have the highest level of priority entitlement. They must be considered and, if qualified, appointed before all others. If no qualified persons with a statutory priority entitlement are identified, those who have a regulatory priority entitlement are considered next. Organizations must consider persons with a priority entitlement first, before initiating an appointment process.

To qualify for a statutory priority entitlement Veterans Affairs Canada is required to review your medical release to determine if it was due to a service-related injury or illness. Please request the priority within five years after the date of release; be certified as able to return to work; and not employed in the public service for an indeterminate period. Both priority entitlements are for five years.

As you can see, instr on how to get the stat priority entitlement is stated, but not the reg priority.  And, the www.jobs.gc.ca website is looking for a Priority Reference Number (PRN).

HELP :)

EDITED: to change my error in rel date to year 2015 (vice 2009).  Sorry about that  [:-[

Occam said:

Not everyone who writes Job posters understands the requirements, if the job interests you and you think you have the qualifications, contact them and politely point out the error, if honest they will fix it. If they are trying to exclude you, they just opened up their posting for a challenge and you should challenge it, always be polite because if you win you might have to work with them afterwards.

Your regulatory priority is no longer in force.  If you released in '09, the five year period has expired.  Per the PSER:

Canadian Forces — release for medical reasons

8 (1) The following persons who are released from the Canadian Forces for medical reasons are entitled to appointment in priority to all persons, other than those referred to in sections 39.1 and 40 and subsections 41(1) and (4) of the Act, to any position in the public service for which the Commission is satisfied that the person meets the essential qualifications referred to in paragraph 30(2)(a) of the Act:

(a) a member of the regular force;

(b) a member of the special force; and

(c) a member of the reserve force on Class B Reserve Service of more than 180 consecutive days or on Class C Reserve Service.

Marginal note:Conditions

(1.1) The priority applies if

(a) the person requests the priority within five years after the day on which the person is released;

(b) the person is not employed in the public service for an indeterminate period at the time the request is made;

(c) within five years after the day on which the person is released, the person is certified by a competent authority to be ready to return to work on the day specified by the authority; and

(d) the day specified is within five years after the day on which the person is released.

Marginal note:Entitlement period

(2) The entitlement period begins on the day on which the person is ready to return to work, as certified by a competent authority, and ends on the earliest of

(a) the day that is five years after the day on which the entitlement period begins;

(a.1) the day on which the Minister of Veterans Affairs determines that the person was released for medical reasons that are attributable to service;

(b) the day on which the person is appointed to a position in the public service for an indeterminate period; and

(c) the day on which the person declines an appointment to a position in the public service for an indeterminate period without good and sufficient reason.

Marginal note:Interpretation

(3) In subsection (1), Class B Reserve Service and Class C Reserve Service have the same meaning as in sections 9.07 and 9.08, respectively, of the Queen’s Regulations and Orders for the Canadian Forces.

SOR/2007-11, s. 5; SOR/2010-89, s. 4; SOR/2015-115, s. 4.

Sorry @dapaterson:  my error (which I have since corrected)... I released in 2015 (vice 2009), so I am in that 5 yr range.  Thank you for going to the effort of adding the info that you did!

The guide is online at:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-service-commission/services/laws-regulations/list-act-regulations-orders/veterans-hiring-act/members-canadian-armed-forces-royal-canadian-mounted-police-released-discharged-medical-reasons-guide-priority-administration.html

I am not an expert in the field; I'd suggest reading the guide as a starting point.

I went through this a while back, so here is an excerpt from the email that I received:

As per our telephone conversation, I could explain to you how to get on the system but in order to register you need a letter from the Directorate of Casualty Support Management (DCSM) who actually will brief you on your rights and privilege with all up to date information, so I will give you their link here DCSM-DGSB@forces.gc.ca Send them your Name, SN, telling them that you were Medically release and provide them with a phone number, they will call you back and give you all the necessary information.

LetsDoMoreWLess said:
I was 3B rel in Sep 15.  I just applied for VAC1002 "Medical Release Attributable to Service Determination" for Statutory Priority.  I ack that it will take some time (likely months) to get a response from VAC. I also ack that I should have done this a long time ago.  So, I am not making complaints about timelines.

However, until I get a decision from VAC, I do believe that I am automatically eligible for Regulatory Priority hiring since my rel was 3B.  Does anyone know how I can get set up for this?  My convo with VAC about this was practically useless as the friendly (really was -- I'm not being sarcastic) indiv kept getting the two special hiring processes mixed up. 

Oh, and just so I don't start up the same confusion again, here are the defs (etc) for the two diff status:

As you can see, instr on how to get the stat priority entitlement is stated, but not the reg priority.  And, the www.jobs.gc.ca website is looking for a Priority Reference Number (PRN).

HELP :)

EDITED: to change my error in rel date to year 2015 (vice 2009).  Sorry about that  [:-[

Back