• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Revised CF Service Pin

avgpjon

Inactive
Reaction score
Looking for information please.

I just read in the most recent edition of Maple Leaf that the Service Pin has been revised and is available in the usual bronze, silver, gold styles.

I copied down the two net references contained in the article, but...no such luck googling those references.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the site and/or where to download form 2380?

I seem to remember seeing a CANFORGEN this year on the subject...

Yes...Canforgen 049/11 was, I believe the reference. I had no luck searching about for anything related to my query.

Thanks for replying.

I am about to send my request for two new Service Pins. Here is the info I have:

Sgt Sharon Emoff
Director Military Careers Administration 4-2 Release
Directeur Administration Carrières Militaires 4-2 Libération
National Defence | Défense nationale
101 Colonel By, Ottawa, ON K1A 0K2

To order the CF Pin's please send a written request to the address below. Director Military Careers Administration will have to verify the entitlement prior to sending you the CF Pin, therefore  you must include the following information:
Service Number (or Social Insurance or Regimental Number)
Full Name
DOB
Period of Service
Complete Return Address
The maximum allowable order per person is 2 pins and cost $10 each.  Money Order must be made out to "The Receiver General of Canada"
Send Req to:
Director Military Careers Administration 4
National Defence Headquarters
MGen George R. Pearkes Building
101 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa  ON  K1A 0K2

Just got this through my Regimental Association;

A new CF Service Pin is now available for those who have been awarded the CD..... See    http://www.admfincs-smafinsm.forces.gc.ca/cfa-oaf/018-23-eng.asp
All members of the CF who are in possession of the Canadian Forces Decoration (CD) at the time of their release from either the Regular or Reserve Force and who were released on or after 1 Feb 68 (date of unification) are eligible for this Service Pin.

To order the CF Pin's please send a written request to the address below.The Director of Military Careers Administration will have to verify the entitlement prior to sending you the CF Pin, therefore I request that you include the following information:

Service Number (or Social Insurance or Regimental Number)
Full Name
Date Of Birth
Period of Service
Complete Return Address

The maximum allowable order per person is 2 pins and cost $10 each. The Money Order must be made out to "The Receiver General of Canada"

Send Request to:
Director Military Careers Administration 4
National Defence Headquarters
MGen George R. Pearkes Building
101 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa ON K1A 0K2

Level of CD = Bronze CD; Silver CD1; Gold CD2

You may contact staff at the following number should you require any further assistance.

Sharon Emoff Sgt Director Military Careers Administration 4-2 Release |
Directeur Administration Carrières Militaires 4-2 Libération
National Defence | Défense nationale
101 Colonel By, Ottawa, ON K1A 0K2
Telephone | Téléphone: (613) 995-0953
Facsimile | Télécopieur: (613) 995-4532
Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

A photo of the pins is available here:

http://jproc.ca/test/cd_pins.jpg

dileas

tess

Has anyone seen the new pin?  How is it different from the old one?

Pusser said:
Has anyone seen the new pin?  How is it different from the old one?

Was the old one not just the CF badge?  (Or is the one pictured at the link above the old one?)

Now don't I feel foolish!  I missed the link to the photos above.

The new badges is definitely different from the old one.  The old one was basically just the round part  (eagle, swords and anchor, but no crown or scroll).

So I'm confused now (  Hey I was an 031) . Does this new pin replace the old one, meaning you need a CD to get one? Or does it supplement the old one, meaning less than 12 years service get pin A, more get pin B?

I have  CD, but there are several members of my Legion branch that would probably like this pin, but no CDs.

Yes, the service pin is based on the CD and any clasps with it. I had to reread CFAO 18-23 to confirm the answer myself.

CLASSIFICATION

6. The classification of the Service Pin awarded is determined by the status of the CD and clasps in receipt at the time of release. The classifications are as follows:
a.retiring members in receipt of the CD - bronze pin.
b.retiring members in receipt of the first clasp to the CD - silver pin; and
c.retiring members in receipt of the second and subsequent clasps to the CD - gold pin;

We really that hard up to enroll a bunch of 60+ year olds? Besides by the time we get the VFS done most will have passed CRA. 8)

George Wallace said:
Come on!  You know you wanna!

No I don't, besides I have a CD so I can shell out $10.00 for another piece of bling to stow in the sock drawer.

When I saw the CANFORGEN on this I thought it was really bad idea and still do.

A vet is a vet is a vet.  There should be one standard for getting a pin and that is that.  The whole bronze, silver, gold makes it like a competition.

AmmoTech90 said:
A vet is a vet is a vet.  There should be one standard for getting a pin and that is that.  The whole bronze, silver, gold makes it like a competition.

Being that it seems like its tied to the CD level, is the CD now just a competition? If they uncoupled the requirements, I totally agree it should be just one pin for everyone.

The CD is not a competition.  It is a long service and good conduct medal as I'm sure you know.

The pin is a way by which
former members of the unified Canadian Forces (CF) may be identified, and thereby encourage the continued observance of the military ethos in civilian life.

I guess that part of that is observance of military ethos is acknowledging rank, only now rank is replaced by time in.  I cannot see any other reason that levels are needed to fulfill the purpose of the pin. (As this is the internet I must state that the preceding sentence was meant slightly, and only slightly facetiously).

The CF Service Pin is nothing new.  It's been around for years (in bronze silver and gold).  I remember seeing retired guys at social events wearing them 25 years ago.  All that has happened is that they've redesigned it.  Most other decorations also have a lapel pin for wear in civilian clothes.  You wear them on your lapel (but only one at a time) on occasions when the wearing of medals would be inappropriate).  The Order of Military Merit and the Order of Canada have them as well.  You often see Lloyd Robertson wearing his on CTV News.  Order of Military Merit and Order of Canada lapel pins also come in different colours to denote the level achieved.  Let us not forget that someone who has two clasps on his CD, has earned it three times, so perhaps his lapel pin should be different from that of the guy who only earned it once.

The point is not that the CF Service Pin is "new", I believe the crux is whether people that do not have a CD can wear a CF Service Pin.

If they use the CD as a criteria, after giving the pin to people on their Departure with Dignity, the CF/DND has once again dropped the ball and created a new class of Veterans.

Truly, what a bunch of MoMos.....

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
The point is not that the CF Service Pin is "new", I believe the crux is whether people that do not have a CD can wear a CF Service Pin.

If they use the CD as a criteria, after giving the pin to people on their Departure with Dignity, the CF/DND has once again dropped the ball and created a new class of Veterans.

Truly, what a bunch of MoMos.....

dileas

tess

If that's the crux of the matter, then I can answer the question.  No, retirees without a CD cannot wear a CF Service Pin.  For one thing, they'll never get one (except maybe on eBay).  They are issued on retirement, but only if one is entitled.  If you need to purchase a replacement, then entitlement still has to be verified.

I don't understand why folks are only now getting bent out of shape over something that's been around for over 25 years.  Does it create a new class of veteran?  Only if you want it to.  There are lots of CF members who do not have the same bits and bobs.  Why should this be any different?  This is right up there with the so-called Governor General's Volunteer Service Medal (for four years service) that has been largely dismissed as ridiculous on this forum.  Should everyone wear jump wings, whether they've done the course or not?  After all, I'm sure there are plenty of CF members who've thought about doing the course.  Maybe we should give them the badge so they don't feel bad about themselves?

If  a pin is going to make you feel more like a veteran, then stick it out and earn it.

Back