• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Revised CF Service Pin

Pusser said:
If  a pin is going to make you feel more like a veteran, then stick it out and earn it.

What about the lad that served overseas, and had his career destroyed by the enemy before the 12 year mark??

Yes, let's play the humble Canadian soldier and say he does not give a care.....BTW Pusser, are you one of them?

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
What about the lad that served overseas, and had his career destroyed by the enemy before the 12 year mark??

Yes, let's play the humble Canadian soldier and say he does not give a care.....BTW Pusser, are you one of them?

dileas

tess

Well, that lad would have a service medal for the deployment; possibly a CPSM as well, if old enough a wound stripe, or the new sacrifice medal.  They could add regimental or branch insignia to a blazer from their kitshop, if they chose.  The CF service pin as always been issued to those in receipt of a CD.

dapaterson said:
Well, that lad would have a service medal for the deployment; possibly a CPSM as well, if old enough a wound stripe, or the new sacrifice medal.  They could add regimental or branch insignia to a blazer from their kitshop, if they chose.  The CF service pin as always been issued to those in receipt of a CD.

Oh my mistake then...Can you give me the official details of the original pin.  I will step aside until then...

dileas

tess

You can always wear your Regimental Tie or 'Dickie'.  Perhaps your regimental belt buckle?  Or just do as many have done before, buy a Regimental crest and put it on a nice blazer.  Of course if you are too cheap to purchase any of these accoutrements and support your former affiliated unit, then just wear your old combat/work boots.  That may entail purchasing a cheap wine and carrying it around in the open state in a paper bag.  >:D

If you didn't accumulate the time for a CD, thus the pin, then there are numerous other options open to you to show your pride in your time/service in uniform.  Don't cheapen what others have attained just because you failed to attain the same level.

the 48th regulator said:
giving the pin to people on their Departure with Dignity

I never received a pin when I departed. I never even heard of its existance, let alone what it looked like.
I figure that someone decided to keep it for themselves.

the 48th regulator said:
Truly, what a bunch of MoMos.....

Anyway, I went ahead and got the Form to order a "new" pin. They ask for a $10.00 money Order payable to
The Receiver General For Canada which cost $5.50. Oh!, plus the Stamp and GST/PST for a total of $16.17.
Must be some kind of "General" conspiracy ;D
For those link shy
I attached a photo of what it looks like.

BTW....I think the bronze is the nicer looking one. 8)

the 48th regulator said:
Oh my mistake then...Can you give me the official details of the original pin.  I will step aside until then...

dileas

tess

CFAO 18-23 reads, in part:

2. A service pin will be awarded to eligible personnel at the time of their release to provide a means by which former members of the unified Canadian Forces (CF) may be identified, and thereby encourage the continued observance of the military ethos in civilian life.

ELIGIBILITY
4. All members of the CF who are in possession of the Canadian Forces Decoration (CD) at the time of their release from either the Regular or Reserve Force and who were released on or after 1 Feb 86 (date of unification) are eligible for the Service Pin.

5. Should a member who has been awarded a Service Pin subsequently re-enrol in the CF, the member is eligible for the award of another Service Pin only if a change of CD status has occurred since the award of the initial Service Pin.

I never received a pin when I departed. I never even heard of its existence, let alone what it looked like.
I figure that someone decided to keep it for themselves.

Likewise, mind I'm still waiting for my Depart with Dignity shindig too, and something tells me after 16+ years it ain't coming. 8)

I don't need or want the pin, I have the Regimental tie, pin, blazer badge, and that's for all the assorted capbadges I'm entitled to wear, have worn, plus the RCL bling too, whooppe. As I said it gets worn when appropriate, Repat services, Nov 11th etc.

As I said the way this was worded was to allow those who served a chance to show it, and I quote

" A service pin will be awarded to eligible personnel at the time of their release to provide a means by which former members of the unified Canadian Forces (CF) may be identified, and thereby encourage the continued observance of the military ethos in civilian life."

Military ethos, yeah then some crackberry Colonel up at  Disneyland on the Rideau decided to add the fine print and play screw the troopies one last time.

The CFAO was written in 1986 - no crackberries in play at that time...

Danjanou said:
to allow those who served a chance to show it, and I quote

" A service pin will be awarded to eligible personnel at the time of their release to provide a means by which former members of the unified Canadian Forces (CF) may be identified, and thereby encourage the continued observance of the military ethos in civilian life."

WWII Service Pin
Engraved on the reverse of the service pin: Serial Number and ( for possible POSERS ) "Penalty for misuse 500 dollars or 6 months imprisonment"

IMO, I think when compared to the criteria for the "new" service pin, the WWII pins reflected the soldiers service in greater detail.

from Veterans Affairs:
War Service Badges
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group08

On Tuesday, August 16, 1916, Canada's outgoing Governor General, His Excellency, The Duke of Connaught, enacted Order in Council P.C. 1944. This established three classes of persons entitled to War Badges.

Men honourably discharged from the Expeditionary Force
Men who offered themselves for active service but were rejected
Men who desired to or had offered to enlist who were refused because their services were more valuable in their present employment.
Six months later, on Tuesday, February 27, 1917, Canada's Deputy Governor General, C. Fitzpatrick, approved Order in Council P.C. 275 which superseded P.C. 1944. This established the design of the badges, redefined the classes entitled to them and established a fourth class.
Three months later, on Tuesday, May 15, 1917, Order in Council P.C. 1296 redefined the classes entitled to War Badges.
Army Class "A":
Awarded to those who saw service at the front.

Army Class "B":
Awarded to those who were on active service in Britain or at the front, and were discharged on account of age, wound or sickness.

Army Class "C":
Awarded to those not included in Class A or B who were discharged for reasons other than misconduct. Those who served in Canada only are entitled.

Navy Class "AA":
Awarded to those who served at sea , in home waters or abroad, and to Canadians who served with the British Navy and were residents of Canada prior to 1914 and did return to reside in Canada.

RCAF Reserve:
Awarded to those who served with the Air Force during the Second World war and were transfered to the Reserve General Class "E" on the completion of their active service.

General Service:
Awarded to members of the Navy, Army or Air Forces of Canada who have declared their willingness, or who have engaged to serve in any of the said forces on active service during the Second World War.

Fire Fighters Canada and Overseas:
Awarded to those members of the Corps of Canadian Fire Fighters who, having volunteered to serve in the said Corps, have served overseas or at least six months in Canada and who have been honourably discharged from the said Corps.

Applicant for Enlistment English and French:
Persons who have voluntarily declared their unqualified willingness to serve in and beyond Canada in the Military Forces of Canada, and who are refused enlistment by reason of their not possessing, due to no fault of their own, the necessary qualifications.

Korea Service Badge:
Korean War veterans who served in Korea and the Far East with the Canadian forces or associated support groups between June 27, 1950, and July 27, 1954 are eligible for the badge.

*photos of each at link ;)

the 48th regulator said:

dileas

tess

Please ignore this post.  I simply answered a question that someone else had already answered.

With the possible postal strike slated for next week,
I was very happy to receive my Service Pin today.

It comes in a nice little keepsake box  ::)

Back