• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RFD vs COS

SailorGuy1975

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am being posted to CFLRS and am from ESQ. My COS date is AUg 06. My CM stated that I can change this date 30 days either side if both the losing and gaining unit agree and in turn the CM doesnt get involved.

I have picked July 8th.
But now I am confused as my COC is asking my Co and CFLRS to have my RFD be July 8th.

So here's my question
Is RFD is the date CFLRS expects to see my at work and if so so what is my new COS date? As Brookefield states the COS date is the date we start travelling.
But if my RFD changes to July 8th, obviously we would need to start travelling in June as it takes 10 days and we were hoping to be in new home july 1st, and then take 5 annual and RFD july 8th.

This make sense? Any clarification on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sailor Guy

SailorGuy1975 said:
Hello all,

I am being posted to CFLRS and am from ESQ. My COS date is AUg 06. My CM stated that I can change this date 30 days either side if both the losing and gaining unit agree and in turn the CM doesnt get involved.

I have picked July 8th.
But now I am confused as my COC is asking my Co and CFLRS to have my RFD be July 8th.

So here's my question
Is RFD is the date CFLRS expects to see my at work and if so so what is my new COS date? As Brookefield states the COS date is the date we start travelling.
But if my RFD changes to July 8th, obviously we would need to start travelling in June as it takes 10 days and we were hoping to be in new home july 1st, and then take 5 annual and RFD july 8th.

This make sense? Any clarification on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sailor Guy

Just to be clear:
COS = Change of Strength Date, i.e.the date you officially stop being a member of one unit and start being a member of another unit. This is all administrative;
RFD = Report for Duty Date, i.e. the day you actually physically show up for work at your new unit.

One you first get your posting message, your COS and RFD are the exact same date. But as we all know, the COS date doesn't always work with everyone's particular situation, which is why we have RFD dates.

Technically, you can request ANY RFD, and whatever the RFD is, it would, I suppose, technically make sense for that to be your COS date. However, it's unreasonable to expect the career managers to release a new posting message with a new COS date every time someone's RFD doesn't line up with their existing COS. Therefore, as rule of thumb (because I haven't seen this written in stone), the Career Managers are happy to stay out of it as long as the RFD is within 30 days either side of your COS. If you are requesting (or need) a COS date that is 31 or more days either side of the RFD, then the career manager WILL cut a new posting message.

So, with respect to Brookfield, they sometimes seem to have trouble understanding the difference between your COS and RFD. Considering how many postings they process a year, this surprises me. Anyways, the bottom line is that Brookfield WILL work with your RFD date, not your COS date. In the past, I've had Brookfield request the email chain that shows both my chains of command approving my change in RFD, and another time when I moved, Brookfield just took my word for it!

TL;DR: Your COS date will not change. Your RFD of July 8th is fine, and Brookfield will process a move that has you in St.Jean on the 6th of July, and at CFLRS by the 8th of July.

If I wasn't clear, or if you have any other questions, please ask.

Lumber said:
Therefore, as rule of thumb (because I haven't seen this written in stone), the Career Managers are happy to stay out of it as long as the RFD is within 30 days either side of your COS.

I'd have to check the manual to be sure but...I think it is in CH 7 of MILITARY HUMAN RESOURCES RECORDS PROCEDURES MANUAL.  From my posting msg this year, Para 5(a)(2):

AS PER THE MILITARY HUMAN RESOURCES RECORDS PROCEDURES MANUAL, GAINING AND LOSING CO CAN AUTHORIZE A REPORTING DATE WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE COS DATE. THERE IS NO NEED TO ADVISE CAREER MANAGER OF THE MUTUALLY AGREED UPON REPORTING DATE

If you are requesting (or need) a COS date that is 31 or more days either side of the RFD, then the career manager WILL cut a new posting message.

Unless it has changed in the last 6 years, if you request a new COS date you will have to get a new posting msg.  Getting a new posting message will cause Brookfield to close your current file, open a new one and start from scratch.

Your request for change in RFD should be a memo, email, etc...something you can provide to Brookfield to show you are attempting to do the 'door to door' move thing happen.  Important IAW CFIRP, Ch 2, Sect 2.3.

SailorGuy1975 said:
and then take 5 annual and RFD july 8th.

Keep in mind, you should be able to request 5 days Special (Relocation) leave on either end of your move IAW the CFLPM, Chap 5, Section 5.10 Special Leave (Relocation).  Worth having a read of.

5.10.10 Relative to a Posting

Special Leave (Relocation) may be granted to a member who is posted when it involves a move to a new geographical area. The authority for granting the leave and the amount of Special Leave (Relocation) that may be approved at each end of a posting, based on the posting situation, are prescribed within Annex B, Table 1.  (3 x days Pers Admin, 2 x days HG & E by each the losing and gaining unit COs).

(* My last move, Brookfield scheduled my Pack/Load on a Thur-Fri which left Sat for my Clean day.  I said nope, and made them move their Pack/Load.  Be watchful of little things like that.)

Special Leave (Relocation) shall not be granted to a member who is posted within their geographical area.

Special Leave (Relocation) may be granted to both members of a service couple who are posted or attached posted. If only one member of a service couple is posted, then annual leave must be taken for the member who is not posted.

The Special Leave (Relocation) granted remains exclusive of and distinct from the travel time authorized for the relocation of members and families between locations.

When a member’s COS date is prior to their move, the CO of the gaining unit may grant the member the leave at both ends of the move.

Special Leave (Relocation) is not intended and shall not be used to compensate for a member having worked weekends or statutory holidays.

Thank you so much for that incredible clarification..our first meeting with BF is monday...., if any new questions come up after that I will ask

He who authorizes the Relocation leave? My losing unit or gaining unit?

SailorGuy1975 said:
He who authorizes the Relocation leave? My losing unit or gaining unit?

Depends if the leave is before or after your COS (why that administrative date is important).  If it is before the COS, your losing unit should do it.  If after, your gaining unit.

When I moved my RFD (earlier due to the closing date on the home I was selling), all Brookfield needed was a signed copy of the memo that authorized my new RFD. That let them change my pack/load/move days and my travel to line up properly.

PuckChaser said:
When I moved my RFD (earlier due to the closing date on the home I was selling), all Brookfield needed was a signed copy of the memo that authorized my new RFD. That let them change my pack/load/move days and my travel to line up properly.

Emails between losing and gaining units have always worked in my experience, including myself this year :-/

Old EO Tech said:
Emails between losing and gaining units have always worked in my experience, including myself this year :-/
Army's gonna Army...

PuckChaser said:
Army's gonna Army...

It's not just the army. From my experience it's command team to command team.

IMO, you only should need a memo if you need to convince someone of something, and therefore the memo is your opportunity to layout your arguments in a clear and concise manner.

If all you are doing is asking for an entitlement, or asking that an approved process be actioned, then you should need to do all the damn staff work involved with writing, correcting, reviewing, and passing up and down the CoC that's involved with staffing a memo.

At most, a very brief minute sheet should be all that is required.
"Sir, Cpl Bloggins' is requesting an RFD iof #### based on the closing date of his new revidence. This is within 30 days of his COS date of ####."
"Approved"
Done.

It's soooo easy with an email, and when it's in an email, no one cares if you misspelled "residence"... ;)

I have twice asked for a change in RFD while in Army units and both times were by e-mail.  It makes it easier for the loosing CO to forward to the gaining CO for concurrence.  While I was at CFSCE, it was highly encouraged to request this by e-mail and the turn around time was usually 1 day, sometimes the same day.

PuckChaser said:
Army's gonna Army...

For postings to ships, Navy does a lot of messages to formally approve the RFD change (after an email exchange approval). It seems pedantic, but makes it official and is used for sea pay. Doesn't matter at the time, but makes it a lot easier if you get audited years later, and you don't need to rely on your email account from multiple postings ago.

Back