• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Richard (Hogan's Heroes' Cpl Newkirk) Dawson, 1932-2012

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Richard Dawson, the British-born host of “Family Feud” whose quick-witted repartee with contestants and generous kisses for the ladies helped make his program one of the most popular game shows in television history, died June 2 at a hospital in Los Angeles.  He was 79 and had complications from esophageal cancer, said his son Gary Dawson.  The original “Family Feud” debuted in 1976 with Mr. Dawson as its star and quickly became one of the most-watched programs on television. It had a simple and appealing formula: Dueling families were invited to guess the most common answers to survey questions about the tastiest cookie, the best-looking actor and other such minutiae.  The show’s popularity regularly eclipsed that of soap operas, another sort of family feud. At the height of its success, “Family Feud” aired five times a week during the day and six times a week in the evening and had more than 40 million total viewers. Mr. Dawson received an Emmy for best game show host in 1978.  Most Americans first knew him not for his “Family Feud” incarnation, but as Royal Air Force Cpl. Peter Newkirk on “Hogan’s Heroes,” the classic 1960s sit-com set in a German prisoner-of-war camp during World War II ....
Washington Post, 3 Jun 12
richard-dawson.jpg

Watched 'King Rat' last night and a youngish Dawson has a small role as a Para Captain at the end of the movie.

I think I liked him best as a parody of his game-show self in 'Running Man".

And in Addition to Hogans' heros he played a Canadian member of the FSSF in the Devils Brigade

cover032005.jpg

dawson_r.jpg

Danjanou said:
And in Addition to Hogans' heros he played a Canadian member of the FSSF in the Devils Brigade

cover032005.jpg

dawson_r.jpg
VERY good eye - I'll have to watch for this next time I watch the movie.

Wookilar said:
Dawson was Peacock? That's awesome! ;D

No.  Cpl Peacock was played by Jack Watson  (1915–1999)

Richard Dawson played Pte Hugh MacDonald

He also had an uncredited role in "The Longest Day".

Also spotted this alleged factoid in IMDB:
He was offered the lead role as Captain Robert Hogan in "Hogan's Heroes" (1965), but did not sound American enough, hence, the role was given to Bob Crane. Dawson was later offered the role of Corporal Peter Newkirk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyYcIc9qlKg

He walks into the bar at 2:40 with his date, throwing knuckles at 5:15 and flashing his drawers at 5:22.  :salute:

BernDawg said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyYcIc9qlKg

He walks into the bar at 2:40 with his date, throwing knuckles at 5:15 and flashing his drawers at 5:22.  :salute:

Imet an old original FSSF vet at the Legion who over a beer told me that the only part of the movie they got right was the bar room brawl ;D

Back