• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rifle Purchase to Simulate C7 Drill and Target Practice

knowr

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm a recently qualified rifleman in the reserves and am looking to purchase a civilian rifle with the intention of using it to practice drill and marksmanship that will carry over to the use of a C7.

I know recent gun laws make this tricky and I'm also new to shooting/not very familiar with the gun market.

Any suggestions on legally attainable rifles for me to further research would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

You will never, ever, need to practice rifle drill on your own time outside of work. Don’t buy a rifle for this

Marksmanship principles are generally consistent across platforms. What matters more is the quality of coaching and range time that you get. You’ll get a lot farther with a good coach and a .22 than you will with a tricked out AR and some YouTube videos. Odds are there are good shooters in your unit who spend time at the range and would be willing to have you join. Find out who they are.

AR platforms have been pretty much squashed.

The closest you may find available in Canada now is the ATR Modern Hunter, but they are big bucks.

Or:

As said by @brihard. Get a .22 and find a private range that will provide some coaching.

As mentioned above - don't worry about rifle drill practice. Don't waste your money on something for that. The Army will train and correct you on their time and dime.

WRT marksmanship, I have several of the 'not an AR-15' type rifles, and none of them are as well developed as the AR Platform - reliability, durability, accuracy, all come up short compared to the AR.

I will not suggest any of them. Don't waste your money like I have.

I will suggest, as others have, getting yourself a .22 and focusing on the basic skills of marksmanship. Position, hold, breathing, sight picture, trigger control, follow through.

If you do not have a PAL/RPAL, I will suggest buying a pellet gun. The Cadet type air rifle is a good start, and tends to be quite accurate. They have the bonus of being able to be fired indoors, at home. Ideally in a basement or a long hallway if you have one, but do so out of sight of your windows and nosey neighbours. Don't use your webbing or other gear as you shoot - just go bare-bones and learn to shoot consistently. Once you're consistent, you can get good.

The Gun Dealer has a great deal on the Cadet Daisey 953 : Daisy 953 Cadet .177 Cal | The Gun Dealer

If you want to buy a .22, I'll suggest a Ruger 10/22 type rifle. Semi-auto, reliable flexible, upgradable, reasonably accurate. They're available almost anywhere guns are sold.

Don't overlook strength and flexibility training. You don't need a weapon for those.

I, like Jarn like the Ruger 10/22. If I were to buy one it would be HB with a scope and bipod.

I think that a yardstick could work for the drill, till we replace the C7 with the C8.

C7A2 uses carbine drill, nor rifle drill.

Personally, I have a 1m tall umbrella that is great for practicing rifle drill AND sword drill.

Back