• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Role of NSE Force protection on TF 3-09

My Pl Comd is going to push for me to get into OMLT, but that doesn't mean anything right now.  I told him if there's nothing available, I'll take whatever can be given to me.  I've already started DAG, so on the basis that everything goes okay with that, I'm just waiting for CoC to decide what I'm good at.

Infanteer said:
0309 Battlegroup has spots for Reservists in every Rifle Platoon.  Not sure how those are sourced though.

CFTPO would be my guess! ;D

Infanteer said:
0309 Battlegroup has spots for Reservists in every Rifle Platoon.  Not sure how those are sourced though.

Fo$r this roto, 3-08, the reservists who volunteered for the earliest intake stream (roughly May 2007) got the battlegroup spots. The next lot of us showed up in September 07, filled up force protection and some other random spots, and then in January the remainder showed up to fill in the odds and sods. A few - a very few - guys from later streams got into battlegroup, but even fewer of those were in rifle section positions.

I'm not aware of any reservists occupying spots in the OMLT at junior ranks levels, but that said there's nothing saying they may not choose to source a few drivers and the like from the reserves. Most of the 'hard' OMLT spots are RegF SNCOs or officers.

And after all that is taken into consideration, it's still a tossup whether ops is drawing names from a hat or pinning them to a dartboard on any given day. Just when someone is well suited for a particular job, some joker will  occasionally put them somewhere completely different.

If you get a spot, content yourself with that. If you really want a solid tour, just go regs.

A reserve platoon commander has about a little say about where a reserve private will go on roto as the private himself. Don't fool yourself into thinking your Pl Comd really has any say in the matter, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. If they decide they don't have enough Cpls and take some Ptes to fill ranks, you'll go where they decide you're to be put. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but they could (rightfully) care less about the druthers of any particular off the shelf reservist.

Brihard said:
If you get a spot, content yourself with that. If you really want a solid tour, just go regs.

Yup.

The Reg Force Infantry isn't hurting for Pte/Cpl right now - it's MCpl to WO where we really need guys.

A reserve platoon commander has about a little say about where a reserve private will go on roto as the private himself. Don't fool yourself into thinking your Pl Comd really has any say in the matter, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. If they decide they don't have enough Cpls and take some Ptes to fill ranks, you'll go where they decide you're to be put. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but they could (rightfully) care less about the druthers of any particular off the shelf reservist.

Yup.

Like Brihard said, don't expect to see any contacts in NSE FP. I know the media likes to portray convoys as the most dangerous job in Afghanistan, but reality is a bit different.

Canada no longer does gate at KAF. It was handed over to Slovakia in December. So most of the time is spent sitting around doing nothing, with the occasional CLP. Bring lots of stuff to keep yourself occupied.

geo said:
Why do you say that.... I know a couple of reservists who are training up with the aviation battalion that is forming up with 1/09

Yup, half the door gunners were reservists.  good crew too.

CanadianTire said:
Although, regarding the door gunner position, I have heard (again, not official) that they're look for MCpls and up (not entirely sure why).

No, They were looking for Senior Cpls and Mcpls.  PSWQ and/or .50 call qual.

Now they are looking for Senior Ptes-Mcpls. mods 1-5, PSWQ.  and able to pass Air Medical Exam. 

Awesome 5 year necro post. Might be close to a record.

PuckChaser said:
Awesome 5 year necro post. Might be close to a record.
It's OK, his third post is to a thread that's only been dormant for almost 3 years; he's catching up.  :nod:

Back