• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Role of Officer vs job of NCM [Merged]

Thank you. Lol.  :)

Eye In The Sky said:
Nope!  I didn't swear and I used a  ;D

No worries.  Just an attempt to welcome  you to the world of having everything you write staffed (assuming you hadn't before with so little TI).

Cheers and good luck!  (not being sarcastic)

First off I would like to say that I have made an appointment with my BPSO but it isn't until Feb because apparently the BPSO office is extremely busy right now.

I am currently a Reg force member with 6 years of service and am looking to OT to MPO. I was looking on the forces website and it says "You will benefit from paid tuition, a full-time salary and benefits, second language training, an exciting career after graduation, and more opportunities than you can imagine." under paid education. It doesn't state if I need to pay for it myself first and get reimbursed or they will pay for it right out. I was wondering if someone could give me an answer.

SkyZ said:
First off I would like to say that I have made an appointment with my BPSO but it isn't until Feb because apparently the BPSO office is extremely busy right now.

I am currently a Reg force member with 6 years of service and am looking to OT to MPO. I was looking on the forces website and it says "You will benefit from paid tuition, a full-time salary and benefits, second language training, an exciting career after graduation, and more opportunities than you can imagine." under paid education. It doesn't state if I need to pay for it myself first and get reimbursed or they will pay for it right out. I was wondering if someone could give me an answer.

I think that if you want to become an Officer that you should be able to conduct the necessary investigative and research work to make that happen within the framework of a favorable environment to yourself and to the benefit of the CAF. I think that it would be in your best interest to apply for an ILP online asking for approval of funding in order to prove your scholarly capabilities (usually at least two university credits for commissioning plans) necessary to apply to make the jump. After successfully demonstrating your academia and Officer like attributes to your CoC, you can then submit a request to become an Officer under one of the existing programs within the CAF. A desire to fully research all of your options, and only after careful consideration to determine the best path considering your circumstances and experience,will you be in a position to step back and consider your options. I am not trying to be an *******, I am trying to provide you with a reality check to facilitate your endeavor. In all seriousness, good luck! Think through all aspects before committing. It is also to important to realize that as an Officer (or any leader) that your priorities are with your men and women and not yourself.

Further to the last post, you CAN NOT complete an occupation transfer from NCM to Officer. You can access one of several commissioning progammes. I would suggest that you look up the requirements for UTPNCM and develop a plan to attain your goal that way.

Hello, my question is, if I joined as a ncm and then decided I wanted to go to university so I could become an officer, will the military still pay for my university? Is it even possible to do that upgrade?

Greetings,

I am currently on the process of applying to be in a Canadian Forces reserve unit as an Infantry soldier. I am also a first year student in a university. My question would be if I do continue my application as an infantry soldier, would I be able to apply to be an officer further down, either during my education tenure (undergrad, grad, etc.) or after I've finished my university education?

If so, how would I go about it? Would it be more difficult to apply as an officer in a reserve (or regular) unit as an NCM infantry soldier?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

this question has been answered at least 2000 times .... just read the previous 18 pages .... and you will find all the answer you need .... as an Officer you should be able to do that !

krimynal said:
this question has been answered at least 2000 times .... just read the previous 18 pages .... and you will find all the answer you need .... as an Officer you should be able to do that !

Truth is I merged his post here so he/she wouldn't have seen them from this post....................however, with a little initiative on their own it would have been easy to find and read.

'Questioner",....you will find initiative a wonderful thing if you wish to continue in this field, and your further studies.

Hey, I have few questions and I would like some advice.

1. I'm in the 12th grade now and i'm planning to attend university next year. Can I apply to become an artillery office at my local reserve unit? Or, do I have to wait till next year?

2. I will be an accounting student. So, will being an officer help me learn more new skills that I can apply to an accounting job vs being a NCM?

3. How much responsibility will I have if I was an officer (paperwork wise and week to week commitment).

4. If possible could someone explain me all of the courses I need to take to be an artillery officer.

5. My dad said that NCMs are looked down to by the officers. Is this true?

I have talked to a recruiter but mostly about a NCM role.

Thank you!!!!! 

Flyingboy444 said:
5. My dad said that NCMs are looked down to by the officers. Is this true?

Does your father have military experience?

if you want to become anytype of Officer , you would know that first step is to LOOK for answers , not waiting on people to spoon feed you , use the search button on the site , there as been around 1000 post about the same exact topic and questions ....

start doing the bare minimum !

Hi, I am struggling to decide on the path of becoming a NCM or Officer. I spoke to my reserve unit in my area and mentioned about being an officer. They advised me about becoming an NCM because being an officer is all about paperwork and a NCM receives more hands on training. However, when I met with the recruiter at the recruiting branch, he advised me since I have completed a degree that being an officer is the most logical choice. I was hoping to grab some personal perspectives of those who have had to struggle with this choice. Further, I was wondering what someone would advise would be the furthest you should travel to a unit for reserves because my area has limited selection. As well, if I decide to transition to the regular force, how difficult is it to complete the merger, especially if you are changing occupations? The reserve choices I had are infantry and combat engineer. Both choices are extremely enticing, however if I did decide a full-time career in the forces is the right path for me I would love to try and get into firefighting. That also leads me to ask, if I become an officer in the reserves, can I revert back to being an NCM in the regular forces? The reserve unit I met with informed me that I cannot move down, but I can move from an NCM to an Officer later if I choose. I am just unsure if this applies to just maintaining my stay within the reserves? Thank you. I appreciate your time. Hopefully it does not appear that I am trying to get spoon fed. Just doing my best to get all the answers before I apply because I know this is a great opportunity and I don't want to make a mistake. 

Officers learn many of the technical and tactical skills required for their trades, it's not just "about paperwork." The paperwork officers do is created to their responsibilities; for conducting training, for training soldiers, for managing soldiers careers, etc. Anyone who simplifies and dismisses the work officers do as "simply paperwork" knows little about the responsibilities officers have.

Try these links as a place to start exploring the differences between officers and non-commissioned members (NCM):

NCM vs Officer and NCM to Officer mega discussion

Officer Or NCO?

Officer/NCM differences

In the end, you have to decide which type of responsibilities you are best suited for.

It really depends on what you want to do. Do you plan and direct a bridging exercise or do you want to do hands on work and make the officers plan happen?

Lots of NCM`s either have degrees, masters or are working on them in some capacity so to go Officer solely because you have a degree is foolish IMO.

Based on my experience of Signals Officers at my unit, fresh new OCdt's seem to progress slowly (I'm not sure if this is their availability, lack of courses or just bad luck)  and they don't seem to get to participate as much as untrained privates do (Your mileage may vary). I'm not sure, but it would be something to look into. The courses are also longer so that may likely have something to do with it. However it does take quite sometime for an engineer NCM to become qualified, but based on what my friends from basic said once they have SQ/BMQ L they could do OJT.

Personally for the most part I enjoy be an NCM, it has allowed me to test the waters and boost my confidence tremendously. I'm also at the point now where I am in charge of a tac rad detachment (2-3 guys), and have to ensure we have enough fuel, food, water and try to balance the sleep as much as possible between the troops.

" As well, if I decide to transition to the regular force, how difficult is it to complete the merger, especially if you are changing occupations? The reserve choices I had are infantry and combat engineer. Both choices are extremely enticing, however if I did decide a full-time career in the forces is the right path for me I would love to try and get into firefighting."

Here is massive thread of Component Transfer's. http://army.ca/forums/threads/12797.0.html

In theory, it is a one page form with some information about you and your unit, it is not a hard a process however currently they are understaffed so communication is very minimal. There are spots allocated based on entry plans and you can see the entire intake plan it is called the SIP (Strategic Intake Plan). There are various entries plans for NCM trades such as NCM-SEP, CT(U) (Component Transfer untrained) , CT (T) (Component transfer trained) , External Etc. It isn't harder to submit a ct from Inf -> Inf CT (T) than Inf -> fire fighter CT (u), however there are typically more spots for CT (T) rather than CT (U).

Hopefully some other reserve NCM/Officers can chime and give their 5 cents.

Personally I like being an NCM as I get to to "do the job", however I have a CT in myself and I am constantly contemplating between NCM/Officer.

I have seen people in my unit go from MCPL -> 2Lt, Sgt - 2 Lt etc. It definitely can happen. If you want to start as an NCM and then eventually become an officer it is a possibility, however there will need both spots available and you will need to the support of your COC and proven that you can handle the job.

Personally I'd recommend trying it as an NCM and see if you like it, however that is just my opinion.

I'm not sure about the Res officer - > reg firefighter.

Good luck

No matter how many posts I dug out and read about soldier vs officer in artillery, I am still struggling to decide which one to take.
I am currently first year in university but I never had a job as a leader. I read the posts, and some say that if you get accepted as a officer, then you should just take it as is. Others say that they would rather not follow someone who has no self-esteem, or just become officer because you have a bachelor. I have rather low self-esteem and kinda scared of being the one in charge of people but I am joining the army hoping for changes in myself.  Despite reading all those helpful information and talking to my recruiter, I still keep wondering which one I can take on. I obviously want to learn how to lead, and gain confidence in myself but at the same time I wonder if it's better to just chose the easier path.

Anyone who started like me have some advice to give ? Thank you.

I didn't "start like you" but I did become an officer in the artillery so perhaps some of what follows might be of assistance.

Very few individuals who enrol as officers come to the Forces with a strong leadership background. Usually they are younger people like yourself with an interest in the military and some minor leadership experience such as school councils or scouts and varying degrees of self confidence. True confidence, self esteem and leadership abilities are a product of the military training and years of experience which you get once you are in the Forces.

My own path started as a teenage gunner in a reserve artillery regiment where I learned the various jobs of an artilleryman. I also received training to become a junior non-commissioned officer where I learned, and after promotion, I practised the basic fundamentals of leadership. My four years with the reserves made it much easier when I decided that I wanted to become a regular force artillery officer. The experience helped me firstly in my application process, secondly in making my officer training easier and thirdly in making it easier to understand the lives of the troops which I led.

Joining in the ranks, is not choosing "the easier path". Life as a soldier is hard and while the degrees of responsibility vary from those of junior officers, junior and senior non commissioned members also need to have self confidence and self-esteem to do their jobs.

Nobody on in this forum can help you in deciding "what you can take on". We don't know you well enough as a person to understand what your current abilities are, nor do we have any crystal ball to help us predict what type of a person you will become.

I would suggest that if you want to have a better ability to make your decision then join the reserves as a gunner and get a feel for what its like and what you are capable of doing. Nothing builds self esteem as much as putting your hand to something and succeeding at it.

Best of luck.

:cheers:

Thank you. That was the answer I was looking for. Honestly, part of my indecision was for the title "officer" (no disrespect to anyone) in a CV or resume, people outside the army probably find it more impressive. However you are right. I should start as a soldier to understand the troupes I am leading. I was disappointed finding out that officer and soldier have completely different training. I wish I could become soldier but learn leadership too.

If you're a competent soldier, you will lead people in the future.

Back