• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2011-2012

Oh well, we'll find out on Tuesday either way.

I was poring through the other ROTP threads and from what I've gathered, we're kept really busy straight from 0800 to 1330, so it'll be interesting to see what we do.

I also read in the other threads that some people wore a suit to the interview. I've never needed a suit or anything like that, so I don't know really what to wear. Hopefully I'll be able to get away with just wearing a nice shirt that I have somewhere...

I'll be wearing a suit to mine. I figure if I were getting an interview anywhere else for a full scholarship, or for a job as professional, I would wear suit, so it is my intent to wear one for my CF interview. However, I am sure if you don't have a suit, then a shirt, tie, and dress pants will serve the purpose. Good luck on everything though! I am sure you will do great with it all.

Keep in mind I am not an expert. This is just how I had to go through it. Last year, there was no physical, and this year there didn't seem to be one either.

Also, last year I wore a shirt and tie, this year just dress pants and a button shirt, no tie. They said I was the best dressed they had had, so you don't have to go too overboard with what to wear.

I just scheduled my CFAT, Medical and Interview a few minutes ago. There was no mention of any physical. I was told CFAT at 8AM, Medical Part 1 at 11, and then Part 2 immediately after. (I am not sure what the parts are about though). Then I get a lunch, and I get to have my interview at 1330. This is all on November 9th. I am very very excited. I am hoping this gives me enough time to get squeezed into that early selection board (which, I hear, is scheduled for December 8th). If not, I will definitely have everything in order for the main selection board in March. Good luck to all! I hope to see you next fall!

As PMedMoe clarified previously and medicineman eluded to as well, I think you are misunderstnading "physical". A physical is not the CF Expres test or anything of the sort. A physical is a medical examination like the annual check-up you get from your family doctor.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/physical?show=1&t=1287180567

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/physical+examination

Good luck on your tests.....

I was just reading over this topic from earlier this year, and I found a post about confidence. Someone had made mention of how they had a slight feeling that they weren't good enough for the Canadian Forces, or for the job they wished to pursue. I think this is a natural feeling to have; this is a highly competitive process, and I will say (although I can't speak for everyone) that most people will eventually think to themselves "what if I am not good enough?" If you do ask yourself this, it is not necessarily a bad thing. It is a bad thing if you are asking yourself that question and you don't do anything to improve. However, if you ask yourself that question, and then you address your weak areas and improve, it can be very beneficial.

In my opinion, that is how you gain confidence. You improve your weak areas. I was very confident in my application when I first applied, but then after a few weeks when I hadn't heard anything, I started searching for things in myself to become worried about. Luckily, I caught myself, and I realized I was just trying to find things to worry about, which is absolutely pointless. I realized that I have been preparing for my ROTP application for a long time, and I have a deep passion and enthusiasm for it, and I know I am a good candidate. It is my job now to make this evident to the recruiters.

So what I am trying to say is that it is somewhat normal to feel a little less than confident, in my opinion, but as long as you make that work to your advantage, you should have nothing to worry about. Continue improving yourself, nail the CFAT, and portray yourself well in the interview, and you should be a shoe-in for the ROTP selection board this year.

Great advice pudd! Lucky you caught yourself and wrote that, so I'm catching myself now.
You're right, there is really no use in worrying. There's only 2 outcomes, neither of which will kill me. I can say I tried my very best if I don't make it, and don't forget there's always next year...

ps: I think the term is shoo-in ;)

Ha! That is funny because I definitely thought twice about using that term. It didn't seem right when I used it. Now I know and I won't make the mistake again! Thanks.

pudd13 said:
I just scheduled my CFAT, Medical and Interview a few minutes ago. There was no mention of any physical. I was told CFAT at 8AM, Medical Part 1 at 11, and then Part 2 immediately after. (I am not sure what the parts are about though).

Part 1 is height, weight, eyesight, hearing, questionnaire and vital signs followed by Part 2 which is an interview and PHYSICAL EXAMINATION.  If there isn't a physical, I'd be concerned (from my end any way).  If a person is getting an update, they usually just have an interview and questionnaire - unless there is a change that has to be commented on.

MM

Pudd13

I handed my application on the 28th of September and got the call about 7-9 days later.

Oh. Interesting. I handed in my application on September 10th, and I had to call them in order to line up my interview and such. I suppose it is probably different because I am from out of town and they wouldn't call unless they had plans to come to my town. I just decided to go to Vancouver anyways to guarantee that I get my testing and interview done before that early selection hearing.

Ya probably they gave me the option of doing everything on the 13th, but I felt that the extra week could help me out.

Same situation as Pudd, I handed mine in sometime after the 16th and they said they would give me a call in 2 weeks. 2 weeks and 2 days later I called them and they said it was either cough up and fly down or wait until the middle of November. The Tuesday after that, I called them, and they got the dates in order and scheduled it. Same as Pudd again, I want to be done before that early selection hearing.

To my understanding the first selection is around Feb/March with the second being April/May.  Getting an application in early say Oct won't to my knowledge get you an increased chance of acceptance. 

I agree it's better to do it early but they don't make any final decisions before the January deadline anyways so what's the point in spending money on a flight to Vancouver when they will be in your area in November?

'Cause they didn't even know if they were coming up north in November. And I missed the deadline one time, I'll be damned if I miss it again ;D

Well if they don't come in November you still have December and the early part of Jan correct?

I have heard from two different recruiters from two different recruiting centres (CFRC Vancouver and CFRC Toronto) that there will be an early selection hearing in December. One of them said "early December" and the other told me December 8th. So I think it is beneficial to get everything done this early in the game, in my own opinion.

You shouldn't give up hope either, 2 years ago I applied to ROTP in September and got picked in July. People don't always get picked in the first or even second rounds but apparently they have 3rd ones.

And my trip to Van isn't entirely about the interview, I'm picking up a new deer rifle and some optics for it, too. It's mostly the interview, though. That and I need to know asap so I can decide on a nice job offer I got.

Good luck to those of you doing your interview, medical, and CFAT tomorrow. I am sure all your preparation will have paid off.

Back