• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP Civvy-University Cadets--how do we refer to ourselves?

Sailing Instructor

Inactive
Reaction score
After a few months of explaining to people I'm majoring in philosophy, and in the regular navy, and philosophising is my job in the navy, and I'm a MARS officer (God, how that throws people off!) I've grown tired of the 10 minute explanation to the frequent question: 'What are you doing now?'

So I'm asking all the other people here who are going or have gone through this programme to tell me if they found a quick 'job description,' as it were, for themselves.  Or does everyone just have a long-winded explanation knowing that soon they'll be able to say 'naval officer,' 'pilot,' or what-have-you.

Tell them you kill people and eat babies.. :p

J/K

Honestly, just say you're in the navy and help run the ship as part of a crew.  If they ask what your function is, just tell them.

Lost_Warrior said:
Tell them you kill people and eat babies.. :p

J/K

Honestly, just say you're in the navy and help run the ship as part of a crew.   If they ask what your function is, just tell them.

thats a good one. You wont have to worry about anymore awkward convo's after that....

Sailing Instructor said:
After a few months of explaining to people I'm majoring in philosophy, and in the regular navy, and philosophising is my job in the navy, and I'm a MARS officer (God, how that throws people off!) I've grown tired of the 10 minute explanation to the frequent question: 'What are you doing now?'

So I'm asking all the other people here who are going or have gone through this programme to tell me if they found a quick 'job description,' as it were, for themselves.   Or does everyone just have a long-winded explanation knowing that soon they'll be able to say 'naval officer,' 'pilot,' or what-have-you.

Don't even tell them you're a MARS officer, tell them you're a student, then if they ask what you'll do after tell them you'll be a MARS officer. It worked for me, when people asked me what I did I said student which is usually followed with "well what are you going to do after?" It makes for a easier flow and they'll understand it a little better, at least they did when I went through it.

Cheers

Inch said:
Don't even tell them you're a MARS officer, tell them you're a student, then if they ask what you'll do after tell them you'll be a MARS officer.

Actually this is what I usually end up saying.  I guess I'm just scared of turning into John Kerry and rambling on rather than giving people a 'catchphrase' of a job title!  One thing I hate saying is 'the military pays for my schooling' because, though true and perhaps attractive to would-be applicants to the CF, it may seem that I find this to be my favourite attribute of ROTP.  Not that I don't like my financial situation but I didn't join just to get a philosophy degree and quit after the obligatory 5 years.

Being that you're MARS, you might be better off saying "I plan on eating my young". 

Lol, gotta love MARS. I was thinking about remustering to it, but after hearing details on it from real officer, NCMs and fellow cadets, it would be pretty accurate to say you eat your young.

Sailing Instructor said:

So I'm asking all the other people here who are going or have gone through this programme to tell me if they found a quick 'job description,' as it were, for themselves.  Or does everyone just have a long-winded explanation knowing that soon they'll be able to say 'naval officer,' 'pilot,' or what-have-you.

Just tell them you are a MARS bar and leave it at that..........

"What is it exactly that you do?"
"I am lord Ringo Mountbatten, first admiral of the sea."
"Huh"
"I DRIVE THE BIG GREY ONE"

I wouldn't worry about it too much SI.
I normally just say "maritime surface and subsurface officer" and if they don't know it that's their bloody problem.

I usually just say "The army's paying me to go to school" If someone asks my rank, I say officer cadet (although I hate the "cadet" part, it makes it sound like I'm in fricking cubscouts). That usually does it, unless they ask what occupation I'll be, which is usually pretty easy to explain since most people know what the infantry do.

Incidentally, any Ocdts here from IAP this past summer @ St. Jean - specifically 38 or 39E?

Tell them you're in training to be a naval officer...like Lord Blakeney in "Master and Commander", only older and less gentrified.

Hey Ape, I know someone by the name of M. She's an RMC cadet, right?

Big Foot said:
Hey Ape, I know someone by the name of M. She's an RMC cadet, right?

Ahh, I was referring to staff. Those were our staff on IAP - amazing instructors imo.

I was 39E.   L, M, & V do ring quite a lot of bells but not as much as C, B, L, & D.

Certainly all were quite amazing instructors.

Speaking of RMC, I'm hpoing to go there in 4 or 5 years.  But before I do that I wanted to now what it was like.  So if any of you are RMC cadets, could you kinda give me an idea of what first year is like?  That would be awesome, thanks!

Sailing Instructor said:
I was 39E.   L, M, & V do ring quite a lot of bells but not as much as C, B, L, & D.

Certainly all were quite amazing instructors.

Heyyyy! 39E! I was wondering if anyone from our course was on here. Seems we both got pretty lucky insofar as staff was concerned.

It's Hone, who's this? I've got a few pics of 39E people from the course party - not many but you're welcome to them if you want 'em.

Back