• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP going to IAP This summer

Only just discovered this forum. Newfoundlander here going through the ROTP program for Infantry Officer. Name's Robert Collins, I'll see you guys there. (June 26th group.)

Congratz Collins. I'm also going IAP on June 26th. Got sworn in today at CFRC Toronto. Departing 24 June, 1030hrs, Denison Armoury. See you in Saint Jean man.

Same here, IAP starts June 26th. I'm being sworn in in Hamilton on June 17th and flying out to St.Jean (via Montreal) on the 23rd. So two things:
1. Anyone else from hamilton going to IAP on the 26th?
2. Anyone have any idea what we are suppose to do for 2 and a half days until or IAP actually starts? I mean, besides drink ;D.

liebersbach said:
2. Anyone have any idea what we are suppose to do for 2 and a half days until or IAP actually starts? I mean, besides drink ;D.

IAP starts when you walk through those lovely doors of the MEGA.  ;D Even though your course won't start officially until the Monday, you'll be doing course related stuff most of the weekend. Take advantage of the time to get to know your platoon members. Chances are you won't be doing any drinking, in fact you'll be lucky if your staff let you leave your floor. Have fun. Oh yeah, if you're the first one to arrive in your platton you'll probably get a special gift from your staff.  ;D

:) :) :) Is this the nice kind of gift like getting issued a C9 instead of a C7?!?! Or the gift I don't really want like being the first one to clean the floors with a toothbrush?  :-[

I'll keep that in mind, the gift. Haha. But nonetheless, I'm really looking forward to my training for a number of reasons. Namely: I've always been a picky eater, EXTREMELY picky, and I'm sure IAP will beat that habit out of me. And secondly, I have a hard job to motivate myself to do anything that isn't REQUIRED of me, which is why I weigh in a few pounds heavier than I probably should. I'm quite confident in my abilities to pass the physical requirements, EXCEPT for the shuttle run though. Anyone know how hard it is to reach level 9.5, and if an initial failure of the test will allot me a retry a couple weeks later or anything? I haven'tbeen able to get any reference on the shuttle run as my school gym is currently filled with desks for final exams.

For reference, I'm capable, currently, of a peak running speed of about 16.5-17kmph (1 minute of running at that speed imbedded in a short 5 minute run), and am able to do 23 pushups and 28-30 situps/minute, despite being a few pounds overweight.

P.S. Also, I'm confident in my abilities, but how often is it someone is simply failed out of ROTP and sent home?

R_Collins said:
I'll keep that in mind, the gift. Haha. But nonetheless, I'm really looking forward to my training for a number of reasons. Namely: I've always been a picky eater, EXTREMELY picky, and I'm sure IAP will beat that habit out of me. And secondly, I have a hard job to motivate myself to do anything that isn't REQUIRED of me, which is why I weigh in a few pounds heavier than I probably should. I'm quite confident in my abilities to pass the physical requirements, EXCEPT for the shuttle run though. Anyone know how hard it is to reach level 9.5, and if an initial failure of the test will allot me a retry a couple weeks later or anything? I haven'tbeen able to get any reference on the shuttle run as my school gym is currently filled with desks for final exams.
  Well it sounds like you are really ready...not ...how old are you?  IS this what IAP is supposed to do...beat bad habits out of people?

HL

Hot Lips said:
  Well it sounds like you are really ready...not ...how old are you?  IS this what IAP is supposed to do...beat bad habits out of people?

HL

It's a matter of weighing my priorities. I'd drop those habits in a second if given the proper motivation of joining the Canadian Forces. I'll eat anything if I'm hungry enough :p

Hell, I never even excersized at all before January, I was a lazy geek shut in, and could probably do 2 freaking pushups in proper form when I started. But now I do a workout + weight training 4 times a week with weight training in the off days and pushups and situps every night. And  the results speak for themselves, how I managed to get accepted.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say, I've changed a lot in the bast half of a year since I made the conscious decision to join the forces, but I'm still concerned about a few things. I'm a lot more focused and less picky than I was even a half a year ago.

R_Collins said:
It's a matter of weighing my priorities. I'd drop those habits in a second if given the proper motivation of joining the Canadian Forces. I'll eat anything if I'm hungry enough :p

Hell, I never even excersized at all before January, I was a lazy geek shut in, and could probably do 2 freaking pushups in proper form when I started. But now I do a workout + weight training 4 times a week with weight training in the off days and pushups and situps every night. And  the results speak for themselves, how I managed to get accepted.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say, I've changed a lot in the bast half of a year since I made the conscious decision to join the forces, but I'm still concerned about a few things. I'm a lot more focused and less picky than I was even a half a year ago.

What is your Trade, what were your grades like, what teams, clubs etc. were you a part of and are you going to RMC or Civi U? If I may ask?

liebersbach said:
What is your Trade, what were your grades like, what teams, clubs etc. were you a part of and are you going to RMC or Civi U? If I may ask?

Going in for Infantry, or if you mean for university, a Physics degree. Overall average of 92% coming out of high school (Valedictorian). Played on the local hockey team up until halfway through last year and did swimming, softball, and golf off and on. Also a former provincial silver medalist in the orange/green belt Kempo and Shotokan kata categories, but have not been in karate for some time now (I dropped it to join hockey, and then due to internal politics with the hockey club and my father's conflict with the coach due to blatant favouritism, dropped it.). As far as clubs go, I was part of scouts in my earlier years, but there was no ventures club due to lack of participation, so I couldn't continue the cubs/beavers/scouts/ventures that I had been a part of. I supervised the elementry tech club last year, and was involved with graduation committee and year book committee this year. Furthermore, I've worked a summer job for 2 summers, at the local Mary Browns (A fast food, chicken serving place) as a cashier and other odd jobs (Preparing salads, emptying garbages, and also cleaning the tables and floors were all my responsibility) And also, I'm going to a Civillian University, Memorial University of Newfoundland.

My previous 2 posts were a bit self depreciating, though, as I've most certainly matured and changed over the last half a year that I've spent dedicated to getting into this program.

And somewhat concerned about the EXPRES test  ;D

Run.  Eat well. Sleep well.

Actually do more than run.  Train.  IAP, if it is like it appears to be, is funner for the fitter.  Hot Lips is 37 and trains 2-3 times a day.(cardio and weights and then more cardio).  THAT preparation will pay off for her (less chance of injury...better able to deal with mental/physical stress, not sucking wind thru non-mouth holes on PT...hey, if nothing else, remember you CAN'T lead from the REAR.  What does IAP stand for?  ;D)

Good luck and remember..

Shoot the foot...DRIVE the body!

R_Collins said:
Going in for Infantry, or if you mean for university, a Physics degree. Overall average of 92% coming out of high school (Valedictorian). Played on the local hockey team up until halfway through last year and did swimming, softball, and golf off and on. Also a former provincial silver medalist in the orange/green belt Kempo and Shotokan kata categories, but have not been in karate for some time now (I dropped it to join hockey, and then due to internal politics with the hockey club and my father's conflict with the coach due to blatant favouritism, dropped it.). As far as clubs go, I was part of scouts in my earlier years, but there was no ventures club due to lack of participation, so I couldn't continue the cubs/beavers/scouts/ventures that I had been a part of. I supervised the elementry tech club last year, and was involved with graduation committee and year book committee this year. Furthermore, I've worked a summer job for 2 summers, at the local Mary Browns (A fast food, chicken serving place) as a cashier and other odd jobs (Preparing salads, emptying garbages, and also cleaning the tables and floors were all my responsibility) And also, I'm going to a Civillian University, Memorial University of Newfoundland.

My previous 2 posts were a bit self depreciating, though, as I've most certainly matured and changed over the last half a year that I've spent dedicated to getting into this program.

:eek: WOW and you said you were a geek and wasn't physically active at all? Did you apply to RMC or was civi U your preferred choice?

liebersbach said:
:eek: WOW and you said you were a geek and wasn't physically active at all? Did you apply to RMC or was civi U your preferred choice?

Civi U preferred choice. And I wasn't active after I dropped hockey, at all, really, which was a year and a half ago... And due to work at Mary Browns, I didn't get out much that summer, so it wasn't until January that I really started working out again, this time at a gym.

Oh, and I was and still am a geek ;) Just a bit more active than most. I still enjoy a good MMORPG or Battlefield 2.

9.5 is the same score required for World Cup of Soccer ref's on the Cooper's Test. 

Watch a soccer game.  Watch the ref's.  That's how fast you gotta run and for how long.

Callsign Kenny said:
9.5 is the same score required for World Cup of Soccer ref's on the Cooper's Test. 

Watch a soccer game.  Watch the ref's.  That's how fast you gotta run and for how long.

And you need a level 15 minimum just to try out for the Canadian national soccer team. :S

R_Collins said:
Civi U preferred choice. And I wasn't active after I dropped hockey, at all, really, which was a year and a half ago... And due to work at Mary Browns, I didn't get out much that summer, so it wasn't until January that I really started working out again, this time at a gym.

Oh, and I was and still am a geek ;) Just a bit more active than most. I still enjoy a good MMORPG or Battlefield 2.

BF2 eh? Let go beyatch.
ps. what other mmorpgs?

pps. when is your basic? next summer did you say?

liebersbach said:
And you need a level 15 minimum just to try out for the Canadian national soccer team. :S

BF2 eh? Let go beyatch.
ps. what other mmorpgs?

pps. when is your basic? next summer did you say?

BF2 specializing in LMGs and Sniper Rifles. Ready when you are. I also played World of Warcraft, and before that City of Heroes/Villains, but dropped those because I have basic this summer, starting the 26th, which answers your other question :p

R_Collins said:
BF2 specializing in LMGs and Sniper Rifles. Ready when you are. I also played World of Warcraft, and before that City of Heroes/Villains, but dropped those because I have basic this summer, starting the 26th, which answers your other question :p

26th eh, well see ya there! Do you know when you fly in? Or however it is you are getting there? Where are you from actually? Im supposed to be flying in on the 23rd, which to me seems unecessarily early, but like i'm going to argue!

liebersbach said:
26th eh, well see ya there! Do you know when you fly in? Or however it is you are getting there? Where are you from actually? Im supposed to be flying in on the 23rd, which to me seems unecessarily early, but like i'm going to argue!

Glovertown, Newfoundland. 40 minutes outside of Gander, which you should be able to see on a map of the province. I think I'm actually flying out on the 25th, but I may be wrong. And I agree, 23rd seems a little early, but that's just more time to get used to it all.

R_Collins said:
Glovertown, Newfoundland. 40 minutes outside of Gander, which you should be able to see on a map of the province. I think I'm actually flying out on the 25th, but I may be wrong. And I agree, 23rd seems a little early, but that's just more time to get used to it all.

Ya, the package says that all recruits will be organising at around 6pm sunday so I would think flying out on the 25th would be cutting it a little close eh?

liebersbach said:
Ya, the package says that all recruits will be organising at around 6pm sunday so I would think flying out on the 25th would be cutting it a little close eh?

Yup, arriving at 1:00 PM Sunday... It is cutting it close. But I can't do much about it.

Back