• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP Pay Questions ?

Oh. Look at your ETP message and it should tell you how you are being paid.

Piper said:
Despite this topic being a good 10 days, I thought I'd clarify something. To get 'sweet pay', you don't have to be in the 'Mo for 3 years and three full class B summers. I was in for just under a year with no class B time and I'm getting more then double what a 'normal' OCdt would make (I clear about $2800 a month after taxes).

If anyone is interested I can find the CBI I used to justify (and eventually receive) getting the proper pay.   

EDIT: The CBI ref I used was 204.211(10)(b) found at http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/cbi/pdf/CBI_204_Sec_2.pdf

That was the ref used to justify me getting the amount I get now. Multiple ROTP types who joined from the 'Mo with less then a year in got vastly better pay, so don't just let it slide, you probably are entitled to it if you have at least finished BMQ.

That's the reference they used to decrease my pay, see I'm going from reserve officer to reg force officer, so that particular paragraph doesn't apply to me and I don't think there's anything I can do. Oh well.

You can't claim tuition (T2202a) because you didn't pay for your schooling, the crown did. No "student" tax break.

Radcliffe said:
That's the reference they used to decrease my pay, see I'm going from reserve officer to reg force officer, so that particular paragraph doesn't apply to me and I don't think there's anything I can do. Oh well.

What rank were you as a reserve officer? Something doesn't seem right about your situation.

Piper said:
What rank were you as a reserve officer? Something doesn't seem right about your situation.

Officer Cadet. I'm CAP qualified now with like 15 months in. I hope they have me doing phase 3 infantry this summer but that seems a little bit iffy.

Radcliffe said:
Officer Cadet. I'm CAP qualified now with like 15 months in. I hope they have me doing phase 3 infantry this summer but that seems a little bit iffy.

Ah. Well if you were an OCdt before then it makes sense that you would be getting OCdt pay now. I.e. I was a PRes Pte and transfered into the RegF as an OCdt, therefore even though I am an OCdt I am getting Pte pay because thats the pay I would have gotten had I transferred into the RegF as my previous rank. You were an OCdt before and therefore, you are receiving the RegF pay for your previous rank (like I'm getting RegF pay for my previous rank). At least that how it seems to me.

How long were you a OCdt in the PRes and how long have you been in ROTP?

Piper said:
Ah. Well if you were an OCdt before then it makes sense that you would be getting OCdt pay now. I.e. I was a PRes Pte and transfered into the RegF as an OCdt, therefore even though I am an OCdt I am getting Pte pay because thats the pay I would have gotten had I transferred into the RegF as my previous rank. You were an OCdt before and therefore, you are receiving the RegF pay for your previous rank (like I'm getting RegF pay for my previous rank). At least that how it seems to me.

How long were you a OCdt in the PRes and how long have you been in ROTP?

They use the same reasoning they used on me to have Corporals receive OCdt pay, so I don't think that's how it goes, but I really don't know how it works. Like, my reserve OCdt pay was 98 dollars a day (2940/month), and now I'm getting <50 dollars a day, just on salary (1446/month). Whereas if you were a corporal for a number of years or you get good recruiters (maybe), then you get to keep your per day reserve pay.

I was in the PRes as an OCdt for 15 months and I've been in ROTP for just under a month. My coming of strength date was September 3, and I released from the reserves September 2. So yeah, this could all sort itself out when they get me properly "in the system", but that's not what they told me. As far as I know I still have to go into my orderly room and have them cut me a cheque for pay, because my pay data isn't in their computers.

\/\/\/ Oh definitely, thanks for all the help and information, everyone.

Don't give up though! If you ever in the coming months (or next summer on courses) find somebody in your situation who is getting paid differently (as for being an OCdt in the PREs), bring it up to your CoC.

SMP said:
Don't give up though! If you ever in the coming months (or next summer on courses) find somebody in your situation who is getting paid differently (as for being an OCdt in the PREs), bring it up to your CoC.

Exactly, that's how I found out I was entitled. I was under the impression you needed a certain amount of time in, your Cpl's and to be QL3 (now its DP2 or something like that) qualified. Then my younger sister (who had less TI in the 'Mo then I had) transferred into ROTP and started getting way more pay then I did...so I queried my CoC and after much poking, prodding, nearly getting charged for being a colossal 'pain in the behind' and the help of a very wise Capt. I finally got my money 2 years later (I considered it an enforced savings plan, I got $25 000 after taxes, but beware as it bumps you into a higher tax bracket for that year).

I would continue to ask around. Who knows, although you are in an odd situation (all the people I've encountered were NCM-to-officer, not officer-to-officer). It would be worth asking (through your CoC) exactly why this has happened to you (they can direct you to the proper people to answer the question).

Back