• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Royal Canadian Navy Skyraider

GINge!

Reaction score
Here's my RCN Skyraider in 1/48 Scale. It's my first aircraft model in over a decade, and I decided to go with a 'what-if' scenario. I figured that the RCN could have operated Spad in the fighter role in place of the Sea Fury, and in the ASW/AEW role much the same as the Avenger. I painted this one up for carrier ops off the Maggie in the early 1950's. The base kit is made by Tamiya is really well engineered; a great kit for beginners.

dscn2652-0.jpg

dscn2654-0.jpg

dscn2661-0.jpg

dscn2664-0.jpg

Ginge,

Very credible 'what-if' scenario.  Also a very impressive model of one of my favourite piston engined aircraft.

Technical question: What are the two grey paints you used?  Are they the same as were carried by other RCN aircraft of the period?

Cheers,
Dan.

Hi Dan, I did try to match the paints colours used for that era (1-GP-12c: 501-102 for the upper and 501-105 for the lower). I like to use Gunze acrylic paints, and in that range I found Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Sea Grey to be pretty close.

Back