• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rules regarding being assigned homework while not on course

Status
Not open for further replies.

tannerthehammer

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
So lets say you are in the reserves and you are assigned homework based on your trade while you aren't on course...Is this legal? If it is legal to assign it would the person be subject to disciplinary action if they did not complete the homework on their own time while not on duty?  The reason I ask is because if you are doing "homework" wouldn't you technically be working on your own time therefore being exempt from the code of service discipline?

Just a thought

???

If I am reading this correctly, you, a reservist, was assigned homework while not on a course.

If this is correct, then it probably was given out as professional development. The role of a supervisor is to ensure that your subordinates are given opportunities to further their training, so no, it would not be illegal.

211RadOp said:
???

If I am reading this correctly, you, a reservist, was assigned homework while not on a course.

If this is correct, then it probably was given out as professional development. The role of a supervisor is to ensure that your subordinates are given opportunities to further their training, so no, it would not be illegal.

Ok so now that we have established the fact that it is not illegal to "issue" the homework, would I be subject to the code of service discipline for not completing it?

tannerthehammer said:
So lets say you are in the reserves and you are assigned homework based on your trade while you aren't on course...Is this legal? If it is legal to assign it would the person be subject to disciplinary action if they did not complete the homework on their own time while not on duty?  The reason I ask is because if you are doing "homework" wouldn't you technically be working on your own time therefore being exempt from the code of service discipline?

Just a thought

::)

Why don't you do the work.  If it was given to you are expected to know it; so just find time and do it.

On that note, its ARMY homework; its not that hard  ;D

Is it trade related and are you being allowed to sign in for your time?

If it was given to you by your supervisor during paid training, and it is a direct and lawful order, then yes, IMHO you would be subject to the Code of Service Discipline.

recceguy said:
Is it trade related and are you being allowed to sign in for your time?

It is trade related and I would not be given the opportunity to sign in for the time in order to complete the homework.

211RadOp said:
If it was given to you by your supervisor during paid training, and it is a direct and lawful order, then yes, IMHO you would be subject to the Code of Service Discipline.

The homework was actually issued via email while I was not on army time

NL_engineer said:
::)

Why don't you do the work.  If it was given to you are expected to know it; so just find time and do it.

On that note, its ARMY homework; its not that hard  ;D

Its not really a question of how difficult it is...I'm likely going to do it, I am just curious what the actual rule is according to military law...

Please give your head a shake.  Please tell the crowd what you hear.

You have established that it is NOT ILLEGAL.
That would mean that it is LEGAL.
If you complete your 'homework' you have complied with a LEGAL order.
If you DO NOT complete your 'homework' you have NOT complied with a LEGAL order.
Not doing the LEGAL thing would mean that you are doing the ILLEGAL thing.
When you do something ILLEGAL in the Military, you are subjected to the CODE OF SERVICE DISCIPLINE.
You are debating whether or not you should do something that is ILLEGAL for which you will be subjected to the penalties applicable under the Code of Service Discipline.

Ask yourself: "Is my homework so hard that I can't do it?  Is a punishment worth not doing it?"

Just what is the homework? Why don't you explain the whole situation instead of us playing 20 questions.

recceguy said:
Just what is the homework? Why don't you explain the whole situation instead of us playing 20 questions.

It's nothing big, just some fire discipline questions and sequence of orders stuff...Simple stuff...Whether it is homework or some other type of work is really irrelevant...I was under the impression that we did not have to do any "army stuff" while not on duty...

I guess that isn't entirely true though...

If it's not a big deal and you are going to do it anyway....why even bother asking about it here?  ::)

If you're not signed in, you're not on duty. If you're not on duty, you don't have to do army work. Doesn't show much dedication, but there it is.

Is this the amount of effort you put into most things?

Maybe testing the water to know if he can not do that one or the next one...

With all the time you spent on here B****ing about it, you could have compleated it.

beach_bum said:
If it's not a big deal and you are going to do it anyway....why even bother asking about it here?   ::)

Because if you read my earlier posts I was curious on the rules regarding it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back