• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rules regarding being assigned homework while not on course

Status
Not open for further replies.
recceguy said:
..... Doesn't show much dedication, but there it is.

That is about it........DEDICATION.

At the sounds of it, you have had a class and told to study up on what you were taught..........Why?..........Probably because next week you will be TESTED on it........and if you FAIL, you may not pass your course.

If you think like you do, then you wouldn't study when you came home from school.........which may be the case.  In the military you go to class, and then you have to study after supper, just like any other educational institution.  It is considered part of your 'job'.  It is also part of "Professional Development" to study extra when not at work.

recceguy said:
If you're not signed in, you're not on duty. If you're not on duty, you don't have to do army work. Doesn't show much dedication, but there it is.

THANK YOU! this is all I needed to hear....See I'm all about professional development as long as I'm getting paid for it...Being in the military for me is a job...Therefore it is my belief that I should be paid for doing work or in this case "professional development"....

tannerthehammer said:
THANK YOU! this is all I needed to hear....See I'm all about professional development as long as I'm getting paid for it...Being in the military for me is a job...Therefore it is my belief that I should be paid for doing work or in this case "professional development"....

Well.. then your definition of professional and our definition of professional are two different things.

If money is key motivation... maybe this job isn't for you.

Recce guy hit the nail on the head.......dedication........

This sounds alot like the "I don't have to conduct myself like a soldier when I ain't on army time" argument I have heard before from fellow reservists....

Better to concentrate on our OBLIGATION as soldiers to uphold the high standards of the CF. This sometimes means we have to "bring our work home" to get the job done.......

George Wallace said:
That is about it........DEDICATION.

At the sounds of it, you have had a class and told to study up on what you were taught..........Why?..........Probably because next week you will be TESTED on it........and if you FAIL, you may not pass your course.

If you think like you do, then you wouldn't study when you came home from school.........which may be the case.  In the military you go to class, and then you have to study after supper, just like any other educational institution.  It is considered part of your 'job'.  It is also part of "Professional Development" to study extra when not at work.

Well if you read my first post you would see that is says I'm not on course...I can see homework being assigned while on course or maybe even if I was Reg Force but I'm a reservist and I only get paid when I am signed in therefore I don't believe I should have to do work outside of the time I am signed in...

I'm currently a university student and I don't have time to be doing this little bullspit assignments every week if it comes to the point where we are being given them all the time...  

Trinity said:
Well.. then your definition of professional and our definition of professional are two different things.

If money is key motivation... maybe this job isn't for you.

Well the funny thing the motivation isn't so much the actual money but the principal of doing work for nothing is not appealing to me...Probably because I have been a union guy for a long time...Believe it or not I'm actually a dedicated soldier but I also believe that the army should be dedicated to paying me  8)

I am not sure how keeping up skills is doing work for nothing...anything that helps you keep your knowledge up should something sought after. If military life is getting in the way of university maybe you need to get out for awhile....

tannerthehammer said:
Well the funny thing the motivation isn't so much the actual money but the principal of doing work for nothing is not appealing to me...Probably because I have been a union guy for a long time

Once again.. you miss the point.

It's not for nothing. 
But its not for Money.

It's for professional development.  To be a better soldier. 

Ex-Dragoon said:
I am not sure how keeping up skills is doing work for nothing...anything that helps you keep your knowledge up should something sought after. If military life is getting in the way of university maybe you need to get out for awhile....

See I look at parade nights and weekend exercises as a way of maintaining skills...Is that not what they are for?  I think my time should be exactly that...My time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back