• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running and Thyroid problem

nevadadawn

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could help me. Let me tell you a little about myself first. I am 5'7", 30 years old, and have been married for almost ten years and going through divorce. I have a low thyroid and have not been as active as I use to be before and during the Army. I can't run very far before My side starts hurting and if I go too far, I pass out. Talked to the Army doctors when I was in, but they did not believe me. Alot of their non-belief had to do with me being black-balled by some barracks mates. Now I am 220 pounds and desparately need to lose weight for my health and tired of being run-down. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Simple answer....get more active.  Go for short runs etc.  That being said I'm not a doctor and know nothing about thyroid problems.  Maybe there are personal trainers who have knowledge of/specialize in your type of situation?

Well I can speak from experience as I have hypothyroid. If you take your medication every morning at the same time there should be no problems. Make sure you get checked once a year to make sure you are on the correct dosage. Basically you need to eat healthy, cut the calories and get more active. It will get easier. I have lost 22 pounds since March you just have to make the commitment to yourself. Sorry if I sound harsh but hypothyroid is not a big medical issue if it is taken care of properly!

If you get a pain in your side while running, I would think it has nothing to do with the thyroid problem.  I also have hypothyroidism and have no issues with running whatsoever.  You may want to see a doctor and get checked for other things, gallstones for instance.

The other advice given is good.  Lower your calorie intake and maybe try some other cardio exercise instead of running.  A good brisk walk is almost as beneficial as a run and there's less wear and tear on your joints.

What Moe said - also, something else you can do is swimming.  To be honest, a frequent concurrent problem with hypothyroidism is low mood, which makes it that much harder to get up and do stuff.  In all likelihood, that'll improve as you start to work out as well - physical tiredness decreases mental tiredness, and exercise also increases your energy levels (rather perversely I think), so it's win win for you.

Cheers.

MM

I have had the pain in my side since I was a kid. The thyroid problem didn't show up until 2 years after the military. I think I found the answer to the pain in one of the postings on this sight. They were talking about a "stitch" in their right side. I've just had a really hard time of late losing the weight because of my thyroid causing me depression and making me feel run down. My husband also kept me from really going where I really wanted to go so I could lose the weight. Couldn't do exercise in the house because the floors were falling apart because the landlord wouldn't fix them. So, now that I live with my mother and grandmother, I can be more active, just need some kind of exercise tips to get me started to where I don't overexert myself and get hurt.

Back