• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running for political office while in the reserves?

Flyingboy444

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, if I join the reserves would I be able to present myself in a election (federal, provincial and municipal)? Is there any restrictions?

Thank you

Yes, however you must request Excused Drill and Training (ED&T) status for the duration of the campaign. If elected, I believe you must submit your release from the CF.

Flyingboy444 said:
Hi, if I join the reserves would I be able to present myself in a election (federal, provincial and municipal)? Is there any restrictions?

This discussion may be of interest.

Keep Politics Away From Forces 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/91014/post-896934.html#msg896934

Reply #16 and #17.

Interestingly, the Hansard for June 1944 has several speeches from Honourable Members giving tribute to some of their fellow members who went ashore in Normandy, suggesting that a precedent exists for simultaneously being a Member of Parliament and in the military.

However, I'd suggest you not take advice on an internet forum.  Find a decent constitutional lawyer, examine the precedents and current legislative and regulatory frameworks, and go from there.

Iirc when I was in Gagetown about fifteen years ago, there was a member who held municipal-level office.

Back