• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc

BDTyre said:
This depends partially on the distance you run.   I believe the recommended distance at which you change out your shoes is when they have about 300 miles on them.  

Don't forget to count in the quality of your shoes, the type of surface your run on and your weight (I don't know if there is some of chart).

Mine last about 4-5 mos depending on the weather(indoor running or outdoor) I put about 30 miles a week on them...with runners if you dont go to the running room(big money) is to go middle of the road. Dont drop 200 but dont spend less than 70. You can get an awesome runner between 80 and 100.....I wont pay a dollar over 110. They wont look 'cool' but all runners look like ass after a few weeks anways...

hey guys and gals I was wondering how do I keep up my current running schedule in the winter? the reason I ask is because I live in the midle of nowhere and in the winter the sidewalks where I live hardly ever get plowed. Please help thanx people :salute:

I live in the country......so there aren't sidewalks to plow in the first place, so I just run in some hay fields (I live on a farm). In the winter..I just keep on running. Sometimes I use snowshoes but I generally just do the same thing as in the summer. It is a lot more tiring as well, with all that snow and ice.

If you do not live in the country, which I'm assuming you don't (if you live in the middle of nowhere how do you have sidewalks?), then I reccommend a track or even a treadmill/stairmaster. Hope that helped.

I live in Winnipeg and I have been able to run up to about 8km throughout the winter with very little problem, even in temps at -30C or below. A few points:

-Dress in loose layers, with a windbreaking outer shell;

-wear a facemask or scarf: not just for frostbite but to breathe through;

-buy "winter runners" if you want, although I just wear normal runners with heavy wool socks-never had a cold feet problem;

-wear a brightly coloured top or reflective strips: you may have to detour off an unplowed sidewalk onto the street surface, and drivers have to be able to see you esp if you run at night;

-on icy surfaces shorten your step so you don't risk losing your balance;

-in deep snow, slow down and use a "pumping" vertical step;

-remember that on icy roads, vehicles need longer to stop so don't dart out into traffic suddenly.

In most parts of Canada you should be able to run right through the winter. Cheers.

-

If you are really serious about winter running, you can also buy winter running shoes, i think sauconey makes some called the icebug, has small retracting titanium studs in the sole for grip. How i do it, is i have bout all my stuff from MEC. I wear whatever underwear, i have a pair of biking tights, and windpants over top, then i have a longsleve top, with a windproof fleece vest, if it gets colder, i use my polypro. Check out cross country skiiers, I do both, and i use the same clothc, awesome hats/gloves, and lots of tips and tricks you can pick up.

I try to run outside whenever possible.  In the winter, you're best off running on sunny days before the sun sets.  Once the temperature drops and the ice refreezes, things will be a little slicker and you may hit patches of black ice.  Sticking to grass or fields whenever possible will help you avoid any ice.

Around where I live, I see people jogging/running in all sorts of whether, except when things start freezing.  Drivers 'round here don't get into winter driving until the end of February.  :)

In addition to layering, maybe bring some water with you.  Just because you don't feel overheated doesn't mean it can't happen.

I find that it's best before you run in the winter to be outside for 10 minutes or so to get used to breathing cold air.  If I go straight start running immediately after leaving a warm house my throat freezes and is quite uncomfortable to run with.

scm77 said:
I find that it's best before you run in the winter to be outside for 10 minutes or so to get used to breathing cold air. If I go straight start running immediately after leaving a warm house my throat freezes and is quite uncomfortable to run with.

Scarf or facemask usually works even at -30. Cheers.

I only taste blood when I slip on the ice and bite my tongue. :crybaby:  Cheers

forestedwarrior, that's probably just your tuberculosis.  And they say fresh air is supposed to help! :)

Any reason why you'd taste blood?  It just doesn't seem right.

It started when i was trainign for the provincial x-country ski team, my coach(a 4 time olympian) said it happens. I asked my family doctor(who also skiis) said it was due to my throat drying out, and the heavy aerobic activity, makes small, not dangerous tears, thats why you can taste blood. Before i bought a fuel belt, i used to just eat the cleanest snow i could find to help it. Once though i did a 20km race, i only got a small cup at the 10km mark, by the end i could spit out blood, i was pretty dehydraded. Though now i always have a water bottle with me

As much as I hate to admit it -I get the same issues that Forested mentioned

In my experiance, it goes away after about 3-4 weeks of training, maby less, that was a whole year ago :p

I always have a bottle of water with me; as soon as I stop running I drink some water.  Maybe that's why I never taste blood...?

waterpack is a pretty good buy

how is the new gortex beleclava? good for running? good scarf substetute?

those of you who find the air to cold id recommend running with your gas mask on  :blotto: *Snicker*Snicker*  :dontpanic:

has anybody tried running with the mukluks yet or what? how good are those?

those snow running shoes... what do they go for? are they worth it?

I have bought snow runners but that was years ago. I just wear normal runners here in Wpg, with heavy socks: I don't have any real problems, running under all kinds of winter conditions. Cheers.

Wouldn't you want to continue running during the winter in the snow so you could get used to what your going to be in for when you get into the infantry. For me I live in southern B.C. so winters aren't even an issue compared to where I would be going the weather alone would be a big change for me.

There is a big field behind my house so u guys think that I should use that for running because there are little dips and long grass I'm thinking that would be great to run in even the winter What do u guys think? thx everyone for their help :salute:

Back