• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Russell Williams charged in 2 x murders, confinement, sexual assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
the military could offer assistance to all of the former colonel’s victims — including sending over soldiers and equipment to knock down Williams’ eyesore of a cottage, paint and repair his victim’s homes

This belongs in the "Dumbest thing" thread in Radio Chatter.  ::)

mariomike said:
Sun
July 18, 2011
"Second civil suit pending against killer colonel: TORONTO - This time it’s not just the killer colonel and his wife being sued but the OPP and the Canadian Armed Forces, too.":
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/18/second-civil-suit-pending-against-killer-colonel

Typical. I'm not sure if this is just a cash grab by an enterprising lawyer or a justifiable suit.

For example the OPP can continue to offer regular and constant patrols of the area

Why ? Williams is in jail.

the military could offer assistance to all of the former colonel’s victims — including sending over soldiers and equipment to knock down Williams’ eyesore of a cottage, paint and repair his victim’s homes, offer counselling and fair and appropriate compensation

These people are victimes of Russel Williams, not victims of the CF.

Haggis said:
All you sergeants major out there should take a minutre to think about what CWO Kevin West experienced. Each and every day he accompanied his Command Team partner on duties in support of the successful prosecution of 8 Wing's mission  They confided in each other, ate together, travelled together, socialized and suported each other.  They even honoured the memory of Cpl Marie France Comeau.  Each and every day they were the pinnacles and the faces of discipline and professionalism at 8 Wing.

Then, the police arrive and arrest your boss for, among other things, raping and killing one of his - YOUR - own troops.

There is absolutely NOTHING in our training and professional development system that prepares a CWO for something like that.  Thre are likely very very few people who can say they have shared the same experience.  Sure many folks have found out that thier friend/relative etc. was a killer.  But, these were two men in high trusted positions of power, authority and influence, who worked side-by-side for months.... yet one of them held a dark secret and the other was completly oblivious!

I came to know Kevin West when he was Commandant of the NCMPDC in St. Jean.  I absolutely CANNOT fathom what he went through.  The CDS Commendation, while well deserved, is a pittance compared to what the CF truly owes this professional airman, a true credit to our NCO corps.

Thanks Haggis. Thats one angle I  (or many soldiers) havent thought about. Great food for thought.

As much as I feel for the victims of his crimes, there is a small part of me that thinks that sueing the CF is a cash grab.  I feel that regardless of his job he would have commited the same crimes.

mariomike said:
Sun
July 18, 2011
"Second civil suit pending against killer colonel: TORONTO - This time it’s not just the killer colonel and his wife being sued but the OPP and the Canadian Armed Forces, too.":
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/18/second-civil-suit-pending-against-killer-colonel
CBC.ca catches up on this one, with a bit more detail on how much is being sought (CAVEAT:  don't click on the story if you don't want to see, in the words of the CBC warning,  "disturbing sexual and violent details"):
An Ontario woman who was bound and sexually assaulted by convicted killer Russell Williams has filed a $7-million lawsuit against the disgraced former base commander of CFB Trenton, his ex-wife and provincial police.

CBC News has obtained a copy of the statement of claim filed by Laurie Massicotte in the Superior Court of Justice on Friday for damages, including pain, suffering and emotional and mental distress stemming from her assault by Williams in September 2009 ....

Haggis said:
I came to know Kevin West when he was Commandant of the NCMPDC in St. Jean.  I absolutely CANNOT fathom what he went through.  The CDS Commendation, while well deserved, is a pittance compared to what the CF truly owes this professional airman, a true credit to our NCO corps.

He was the JTF-Afghanistan Air Wing CWO during my last tour. Yes,  a most excellent man who did a great job in both positions.

A soon-to-be released book about the crimes of former Canadian military commander Russell Williams may be turned into a feature film.

Richard Lowry Productions Inc. has acquired the rights to Camouflaged Killer: The Shocking Double Life of Canadian Air Force Colonel Russell Williams by David A. Gibb.

Gibb, a former private investigator turned journalist, delved into the psychology of Williams, a seemingly normal and responsible man who was convicted of killing two women in Eastern Ontario. The book is to be released by Penguin Group Canada on Oct. 4.

For his book, Gibb investigated Williams’s background, and talked to psychologists, profilers, and forensic investigators about the man who is now serving two life terms for murder.

(....)

Lowry is best known for his Emmy-nominated mini-series, To Catch a Killer, which starred Brian Dennehy as serial killer John Wayne Gacy.

He referred to Williams as a "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" character, saying the public is fascinated with “duality of personality.” ....
The Canadian Press, 27 Sept 11

A man who lived next door to Russell Williams in eastern Ontario is suing the serial sex killer, a neighbour and local police for wrongfully implicating him in the former military commander's crimes.  Larry Jones and his wife, Bonnie, filed their $1,575,000 suit late Friday in Peterborough, Ont.  Jones is suing Williams for the emotional and mental distress suffered as the subject of an intense police investigation, while Williams did nothing to alert police that they had the wrong man .... Also named in the suit are neighbour Laurie Massicotte, Jones's former in-law, Jonas Kelly, the Ontario Provincial Police and police overseers in connection with the search of the Jones family home and the tarnishing of Larry Jones's reputation in the Ontario community of Tweed.  "Why haven't I got an apology for what they did? It was totally wrong what they did," Larry Jones told CBC News in an exclusive interview at his home Sunday.  "It's pretty upsetting — still to this day — and it will be until the day I die. I want to let everybody in the country know … we had nothing to do with this. It's probably the worst day of my life the day police came to my house."  The statement of claim contains allegations that have not been proven in court ....
CBC.ca, 28 Nov 11

You have GOT to be kidding me...

Jones is suing Williams for the emotional and mental distress suffered as the subject of an intense police investigation, while Williams did nothing to alert police that they had the wrong man

"I say there, officer, I know, with 100% certainty, that Mr. Jones is not the man you seek.  How do I know this?  Er....ah...."

FFS.  Does this guy really think that a perverted, sick and twisted criminal such as Williams should have alerted the police?  I mean, was that the worst thing he did? 

Some people's children....or neighbours, in this case.

Technoviking said:
Some people's children....or neighbours, in this case.
...or the society, with willing legal assistance, that views spurious lawsuits as an alternative to buying lottery tickets.    ::)

Journeyman said:
...or the society, with willing legal assistance, that views spurious lawsuits as an alternative to buying lottery tickets.    ::)

"get rich the American way : Sue somebody !"

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2012/01/17/19257696.html
Russell Williams' wife fights $7M lawsuit

By Luke Hendry, QMI AGENCY

BELLEVILLE, Ont. – The estranged wife of convicted killer Russell Williams has filed a statement of defence against a lawsuit launched by one of her ex-husband's sexual assault victims.
In a document filed at the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in Belleville, Ont., Mary Elizabeth Harriman refutes all claims made against her by Laurie Massicotte.

“We’re going to vigourously defend the claims set out against Mary Elizabeth Harriman,” Mary-Jane Binks, Harriman’s Ottawa lawyer, told QMI Agency.
“We think there’s no basis whatsoever. The revelation of what transpired with respect to former colonel Williams has been devastating (to Harriman).
“I’m acting for a courageous lady — a very good and courageous lady.”

Massicotte’s lawyer, David Ross of Belleville, was unavailable for comment Tuesday.   

Williams is serving life in prison. He was convicted in October 2010 of attacking Massicotte and another Tweed, Ont., woman, and of killing Cpl. Marie-France Comeau, 37, of Brighton, Ont., and Jessica Lloyd, 27, of Belleville.
He was also convicted of committing dozens of break-and-enters and thefts in Belleville, Tweed and Ottawa.

Massicotte filed a statement of claim on Sept. 23, 2011, seeking monetary damages against Williams, Harriman and the Ontario Provincial Police. She and her three daughters, who are also named as plaintiffs in her lawsuit, are seeking $7 million.
They allege Harriman committed a fraudulent transfer and/or disposal of assets when she and Williams made a domestic contract in March 2010.

Their claims have not been proven in court.

“Harriman expressly denies any intention to defeat the claims of any creditors of the defendant Williams,” according to the statement of defence.
Harriman is the associate executive director of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada. She and Williams are in the midst of divorce proceedings in an Ottawa court.
“Her stature in the community is exemplary,” her defence states. “Harriman is secure in her employment, has strong ties to the Ottawa community and there are no grounds to believe that she is going to abscond from the jurisdiction.”

It adds the “conveyance was not made secretly but was duly registered” and was done strictly to ensure her financial security.
“There was no unusual haste to make the conveyance in light of all the circumstances facing Harriman and Williams,” it reads. “There is nothing untoward or suspicious about the transfer.”

The file states she has “no knowledge” of many of the claims and “expressly denies the plaintiffs are entitled to any of the relief sought.”

Harriman has made a motion to seal details of her professional life, personal finances and legal affairs disclosed in another civil suit, filed by Jane Doe, Williams’ other surviving sexual assault victim. That motion is now in a state of temporary suspension, Binks said.

Harriman’s statement of defence against Massicotte indicates she will also move to seal details in the Massicotte case, which is to be tried in Belleville.

Binks said it’s unclear how long the civil suits will take to resolve.
“I can’t venture an estimate at this time.”

BELLEVILLE, Ont. - The family of a woman murdered by convicted sex killer Russell Williams is suing the former military commander and his estranged wife.

Williams, who was once a rising star in the Canadian Forces, was sentenced to life in prison in October 2010 after pleading guilty to the murders of Jessica Lloyd and Cpl. Marie-France Comeau.

Lloyd's brother, Andy, says he and Lloyd's mother, Roxanne, have filed a statement of claim in Belleville's Ontario Superior Court of Justice which, among other details, seeks damages for the mental suffering they say they've had to endure.

Andy Lloyd, 31, says the family wants a fast resolution to the suit so that they can put the experience behind them and move on with their lives.

He says the last two years have been "quite a struggle" and both he and his mother are seeing counsellors for the depression they've had to deal with.

More on link.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/murder-victims-family-sues-convicted-sex-killer-russell-williams-and-his-wife-138172929.html

At least they stayed in-house.............................

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/05/09/killer-colonel-image-used-in-dnd-promo-booklet

BELLEVILLE, ONT. - 
Canada’s defence department has recalled an internal booklet after discovering it contained a photo of convicted sex killer and ex-colonel Russell Williams.

“This is a terrible mistake for which the Canadian Forces are truly sorry,” Defence Minister Peter MacKay said in a written statement.
“As soon as I became aware of this booklet, I immediately ordered the military to destroy all copies of the collected booklets,” MacKay said.
He promised a personal apology to the families of two local women killed by the disgraced airman.
“I have also instructed my officials to immediately begin an investigation to ensure it does not happen again,” MacKay said in the statement.

Williams, now 49, was imprisoned for life after pleading guilty in October 2010 to killing two women, attacking two more and committing a years-long series of break-ins and fetish thefts between Ottawa and Belleville.
His most severe crimes were committed while Williams commanded CFB Trenton, Canada’s largest air force base.

Yet he appears in the background in the first edition of a new professional development booklet produced last week by the Canadian Defence Academy, a branch of the federal Department of National Defence. A copy of the booklet was obtained by QMI Agency.
A military spokesman said the booklet was never released fully — and never will be.

“We’ve recalled the booklet because of an editorial oversight,” Lt.-Cmdr. John Williston, the academy’s public affairs officer, told QMI Agency.
“It has been completely recalled. It was only distributed within the headquarters and to a few others and we are in the process of redoing it,” Williston said.
Williams is one of more than a dozen recognizable people in the photo, which was shot Jan. 15, 2010, by a corporal at CFB Trenton.
By then, the base commander had killed Cpl. Marie-France Comeau, 37, his former squadronmate, and had amassed a collection of undergarments and photos from his break-ins.

Williams killed 27-year-old Jessica Lloyd of Belleville less than three weeks after the Trenton photo was taken.
Andy Lloyd, her elder brother, said he was unaware of the issue until contacted by QMI Agency.
“I don’t even know what to say,” Lloyd said.

“I was kind of hoping they would have destroyed all the images they had of him in uniform, just like they destroyed his uniform,” he said.
Lloyd has in the past voiced support for the military but said the image’s publication was a further insult to his family.

“Accidents do happen ... but that’s a pretty big boo-boo,” he said. “We’re not very impressed with it.”
The Canadian Defence Academy is an umbrella agency overseeing a variety of training and professional development programs, including Royal Military Colleges in Ontario and Quebec and language training.

The glossy, thin booklet is titled, “I am a member of the profession of arms.”
Williston said it was intended to support professional development programs in a post-Afghanistan military and help explain what it means to be a member of the Canadian Forces.
Defence spokeswoman Amber Bineau said the booklet may have been printed by a civilian firm, but defence staff designed it.

“It was a publication that was done in-house,” Bineau said.
The colourful pages show images of military life and list tenets of leadership, such as “every member becomes a leader” and “every member is a mentor.”

Williams’ face is tiny, appearing in a photo measuring 6.5 cm by 3 cm, one of several on a page opposite a page entitled “Lead and serve.”
He’s neither mentioned in the caption nor the focus of the photo — but he’s clearly recognizable in it. Dressed in a blue air force uniform, he’s seated and looking with a neutral expression at Lt-Gen. Andre Deschamps, head of Canada’s air force.

Williston said the gaffe “was noticed right away” after the first box arrived at academy headquarters. The recall was immediate, he said.
“There were only a couple of hundred actual ones that were released and we’re trying to retrieve those for obvious reasons.”

Keyword searches of the military’s Combat Camera photo archive haven’t yielded any images of Williams since soon after his arrest in February 2010. It was not known if any other pictures of Williams exist among the thousands of archived files.
In November 2010, military officials retrieved Williams’ military possessions— including uniforms, certificates and even manuals — and destroyed them.

One month later, Williams was ejected from the military. He’s now serving his time at the Kingston Penitentiary.

You can bet that someone is going to be assigned to purge their files of any picture of him. Not an easy task if there is no tag or note with the picture.

Maybe we should have the entire Department and Canadian Forces down tools for a day, have a 100% stand-to, and search through every file, folder, and Dilbert cartoon for the Somalia documents pictures of Williams.

It is rather perplexing to think of how good he was at his job. I always picture these killers as jobless drifters. I think Charlie Manson, not someone I rubbed shoulders with at the Canex and saluted.

Journeyman said:
Maybe we should have the entire Department and Canadian Forces down tools for a day, have a 100% stand-to, and search through every file, folder, and Dilbert cartoon for the Somalia documents pictures of Williams.
One can never be too cautious, after all....

Don't even make jokes like that. Someone else will remember and think it's a good idea  :facepalm:

What a waste of time and effort that was.  :warstory: Going through maint vehicle files in 1 Svc, I didn't find too many files having anything to do with anywhere in Africa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back