• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sacheen Littlefeather faked Native American ancestry say family

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
More Indigenous Walting Matildas ....

Sacheen Littlefeather faked Native American ancestry say family​

Having stood in for Marlon Brando to refuse his Oscar, the actor and activist championed Native American rights

Sacheen Littlefeather, the activist who famously stood in for Marlon Brando to refuse the best actor Oscar in 1973, faked Native American ancestry, her family have said.

In an article in the San Francisco Chronicle, Littlefeather’s sisters Rosalind Cruz and Trudy Orlandi said that their sister’s claim to have Apache and Yaqui ancestry through her father was “a lie” and “a fantasy”.

Orlandi told the Chronicle: “It’s a lie. My father was who he was. His family came from Mexico. And my dad was born in Oxnard [California].” Cruz added: “It is a fraud. It’s disgusting to the heritage of the tribal people. And it’s just … insulting to my parents.”

Littlefeather died in October shortly after receiving a formal apology from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (Ampas), the body who organises the Oscars, for the way she was treated at the 1973 ceremony. Littlefeather responded at the time with a statement saying: “Regarding the Academy’s apology to me, we Indians are very patient people – it’s only been 50 years! We need to keep our sense of humour about this at all times. It’s our method of survival.”

More Indigenous Walting Matildas ....

Sacheen Littlefeather faked Native American ancestry say family​

Having stood in for Marlon Brando to refuse his Oscar, the actor and activist championed Native American rights

Sacheen Littlefeather, the activist who famously stood in for Marlon Brando to refuse the best actor Oscar in 1973, faked Native American ancestry, her family have said.

In an article in the San Francisco Chronicle, Littlefeather’s sisters Rosalind Cruz and Trudy Orlandi said that their sister’s claim to have Apache and Yaqui ancestry through her father was “a lie” and “a fantasy”.

Orlandi told the Chronicle: “It’s a lie. My father was who he was. His family came from Mexico. And my dad was born in Oxnard [California].” Cruz added: “It is a fraud. It’s disgusting to the heritage of the tribal people. And it’s just … insulting to my parents.”

Littlefeather died in October shortly after receiving a formal apology from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (Ampas), the body who organises the Oscars, for the way she was treated at the 1973 ceremony. Littlefeather responded at the time with a statement saying: “Regarding the Academy’s apology to me, we Indians are very patient people – it’s only been 50 years! We need to keep our sense of humour about this at all times. It’s our method of survival.”

Seems to have generated some controversy. The author seems to be not well liked in some circles.

Seems to have generated some controversy. The author seems to be not well liked in some circles.

Rachael Harris Popcorn GIF by Lucifer

Certainly seeing a trend with « Pretendians » including in Canada and for some reason in academic circles.

I find this case though a little odd. Given her famous (or infamous) speech and event which seemed to be all over the news at that time and then it resurfacing in and around the whole Wil Smith Fiasco I would have thought that she would have been called out at some point over the years.

Seems odd they waited until she was dead and unable to defend herself to bring this up…

Plus the author Jaqueline Keeler seems to have a less than consistant history with this sort of thing it would seem.

Either the sisters are correct and truthful, or not. The author's history has nothing to do with it.

There's definitely been a recent uptick in backlash against people claiming heritage that isn't really theirs to claim.

Either the sisters are correct and truthful, or not. The author's history has nothing to do with it.

There's definitely been a recent uptick in backlash against people claiming heritage that isn't really theirs to claim.
Disagree. I think the author’s history has a lot to do with the backlash. If she has been less than factual in the past it could be she didn’t do enough research into the claims the sisters made and took most of it at face value.

As I said I find the timing odd. That’s all.

Then the solution for detractors is to dig into the sisters' claims.

Not holding my breath for a renaissance in reporting in which reporters learn to investigate.

Then the solution for detractors is to dig into the sisters' claims.

Not holding my breath for a renaissance in reporting in which reporters learn to investigate.
Oh I don’t disagree. I find the whole concept of « pretendians » abhorrant.

Sort of like Iron Eyes Cody was actually Sicilian.

Disagree. I think the author’s history has a lot to do with the backlash. If she has been less than factual in the past it could be she didn’t do enough research into the claims the sisters made and took most of it at face value.

As I said I find the timing odd. That’s all.

She was well known as a pretty ruthless operator when she was the Representative for Children and Youth, and flayed the government alive alot in the press from a high, self-righteous, and not always 'solutions focused' horse.

I assume the chickens are coming home to roost.

She was well known as a pretty ruthless operator when she was the Representative for Children and Youth, and flayed the government alive alot in the press from a high, self-righteous, and not always 'solutions focused' horse.

Sacheen or Keeler? I honestly don’t know enough about that.

I think he might be talking about a related case in BC…

Back