• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sailor who injured another calls assault ‘disgusting’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoker

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Sailor who injured another calls assault ‘disgusting’

`It was the worst thing I've ever done in my life'

By CHRIS LAMBIE Staff Reporter

A Halifax sailor who threw a full can of beer that caused severe
damage to a shipmate's eye told a court martial Friday he feels
horrible about the deed.

Master Seaman Richard Edward Leblanc, 35, pleaded guilty to
assaulting Leading Seaman Robin Lindhorst on Nov. 20, 2004, while
their frigate, HMCS Halifax, was docked in Norfolk, Va.

The beer can hit the victim in the head, breaking his glasses and
lodging a piece of glass in his right eye.

"It was the worst thing I've ever done in my life," Master Seaman
Leblanc said Friday.

". . . It was just disgusting."

Cmdr. Peter Lamont handed Master Seaman Leblanc a two-week suspended
sentence for the assault and for fighting with another shipmate that
same night.

"It is important that the court impose the least-severe punishment
that will maintain discipline," said the military judge.

Master Seaman Leblanc was a naval electronics sensor operator aboard
HMCS Halifax at the time of the assault.

He went out with friends on Nov. 19, 2004, returning to the ship
around 2 a.m. the next day.

"There is no suggestion that he was intoxicated," said defence lawyer
David Bright.

Master Seaman Leblanc was in the junior ranks' mess when another
sailor made a comment to one of the cooks about the quality of food
on the ship.

Another cook, Master Seaman Donald Martin, took offence to the remark
and the two started arguing.

"This argument went on for some time and Master Seaman Leblanc
attempted to stop the confrontation," said Maj. Steve Richards, the
military prosecutor.

Leading Seaman Lindhorst was sitting next to Master Seaman Martin at
the time, but he played no role in the argument.

As the dispute continued, Master Seaman Leblanc picked up a full,
unopened car of beer and threw it in their direction from about two
metres away. Then he and Master Seaman Martin rushed toward each
other and began to fight.

Several other sailors pulled them apart after a moment.

The physician's assistant on the ship later removed a piece of glass
from Leading Seaman Lindhorst's eye. The injured sailor was
transported by ambulance to a Norfolk hospital, where he underwent
surgery.

Shortly after that, he was transferred to Halifax, where a surgeon
removed the lens and cornea from his right eye to reattach the retina
and to transplant a cornea.

Since the assault, Leading Seaman Lindhorst has not been able to sail
with his ship for medical reasons. Last month, surgeons performed a
second cornea transplant on the same eye.

It's still unclear whether he'll be able to return to his former
duties, Maj. Richards said.

"At the least, it has caused considerable damage, pain and suffering
to an innocent sailor," the prosecutor said of Master Seaman's
Leblanc's actions.

At worst, throwing the beer can could end Leading Seaman Lindhorst's
military career, Maj. Richards said.

"It really goes beyond foolish or ill-advised," he said. "It's
dangerous and it's reckless."

Several sailors testified Master Seaman Leblanc's actions that night
were out of character.

"He's always very reliable," said Petty Officer 1st Class Duane
McNamara. "He's the type of person you can count on."

Master Seaman Leblanc is a "top-notch sailor," said Petty Officer 1st
Class Edward James.

"He's one of the most honest people that I've come across in my
career," Petty Officer James said. "His integrity is second to none."

Master Seaman Leblanc threw the beer can at a bulkhead "without
thinking of the potential circumstances," Mr. Bright said.

"There was clearly no intention to hit Leading Seaman Lindhorst,"
said the defence lawyer.

Master Seaman Leblanc, who holds the Southwest Asia Service Medal and
the NATO Special Services Medal, is a married father of three who has
been in the navy for nearly a decade.

He earns $62,232 a year and now works at Stadacona's Canadian Forces
Naval Operations School.

Master Seaman Martin was fined $500 at an earlier summary trial for
his role in the November 2004 tussle.

Wonderful.  Just another nail in the coffin for alcohol privileges on ship.

It is disgusting.  It's disgusting that grown men can binge drink, and act worse than 16 year-olds at a high school party!

For anyone who has been to a foreign Port, you know that there is always some jerk-off ready to do something stupid and ruin it for everyone!

Two weeks suspended sentence seems pretty light to me without knowing all the other details, past conduct and performance, provocation extra. Not only is Military Justice used as a means to support discipline but also to act as a deterrent.  :salute:

Jaydub said:
Wonderful.  Just another nail in the coffin for alcohol privileges on ship.

It is disgusting.  It's disgusting that grown men can binge drink, and act worse than 16 year-olds at a high school party!

For anyone who has been to a foreign Port, you know that there is always some jerk-off ready to do something stupid and ruin it for everyone!

You have read a lot between the lines in the press release and made a judgement and a rather broad and damming comment on something that may not have even been.  Seems you are the one condemning these practices unjustly right now.

The story is about one seaman injuring another, but the author has focused on it being a beer can thrown, implying all sorts of garbage. What if it had been a flower vase?....would that have changed the story?

GAP said:
What if it had been a flower vase?....would that have changed the story?

Yes- it would have been a story about the air farce.

whiskey601 said:
Yes- it would have been a story about the air farce.

Don't be silly - the AF can't hit anything!

I find it a little more disgusting that you are willing to take the word of our biased, leftist agenda pursuing media, which has a long and well documented history of omissions, taking remarks out of context, errors and outright lies when it comes to reporting on the CF.

Why not wait for the final verdict before throwing the rope on the gallows?

My heart goes out to the seaman who has been injured and I'm certainly not blaming the victim and I'm certainly not mitigating the injury or damaged caused by throwing a can at someone but...is there a rationale for why a member is wearing rx glasses that apparently aren't shatterproof or safety lenses?  I would hope that in the future, that the lesson learned by this tragic incident is that safety lenses in rx glasses are a must while onboard. 

I was wondering the same thing niner.  I didn't think they made the military issue glasses with real glass anymore.

As well, for some of the other comments being made throughout the thread, there is nothing in the article that says he was even drinking.  Not that I am taking any sides here, just being the good old devil's advocate.  It only states that he picked up a full can of beer.  Easy enough to grab a can that someone else has set down.  As well, he threw it in the direction of the guy, and it ended up hitting a wall.  We are only getting the portion of the story that is in the paper, and not the whole background etc.

niner domestic said:
My heart goes out to the seaman who has been injured and I'm certainly not blaming the victim and I'm certainly not mitigating the injury or damaged caused by throwing a can at someone but...is there a rationale for why a member is wearing rx glasses that apparently aren't shatterproof or safety lenses?  I would hope that in the future, that the lesson learned by this tragic incident is that safety lenses in rx glasses are a must while onboard.   

This would mean that the sailor was wearing 'Non-Regulation' glasses.  It could have been a cheap pair of 'Re-entry Shields' that he had bought downtown for the LCF in civvies.  

Why was is salary included in the article? 

GO!!! said:
Why not wait for the final verdict before throwing the rope on the gallows?

Wasn't this the final verdict, as pathetic as it is?

Stoker said:
Master Seaman Richard Edward Leblanc, 35, pleaded guilty to assaulting Leading Seaman Robin Lindhorst on Nov. 20, 2004, ...

Cmdr. Peter Lamont handed Master Seaman Leblanc a two-week suspended sentence for the assault and for fighting with another shipmate that same night.

"It is important that the court impose the least-severe punishment that will maintain discipline," said the military judge.

If the details of the report (is there a link? where/when was it published) are correct and complete, in essence he received no punishment.  Administrative action, if there is any to come is not 'punishment' and likely would have been (or should be) the same regardless of the punishment imposed by a court-martial.

And it only took a little more than two years to achieve completion.  Swift military justice again ensures that discipline is maintained.

Back in the day (not quite when Jesus was a L/Cpl, he might have been a Snr NCO by then),  an old time soldier once told me that an unwritten guideline that he used for punishments was:

Fighting:
- if it didn't officially come to his attention then the Pl Sgt/CSM sorted out the individuals.
If outside intervention is required:
- first offence and both parties equally at fault, big fine;
- second offence or if one of the parties is solely to blame, 14 days cells;
- if injuries are sustained, 30 days and up;
- if the accused elects courtmartial, and is found guilty usually minimum of 90 days because everyone knows that he is guilty of being a barrack room lawyer and he deserves it for trying to avoid appropriate punishment.

DSB said:
Why was is salary included in the article? 

I was wondering the same thing.  How much the sailor makes is irrelevant to the story.

shadow said:
I was wondering the same thing.  How much the sailor makes is irrelevant to the story.

Think of how it looks to Joe Public though.  They mention at the very end about his $500 fine.  Seeing his yearly salary makes people realize that it is really only pocket change and it changes any view of sympathy that someone might have had for him at having to pay a fine.

airmich said:
I was wondering the same thing niner.  I didn't think they made the military issue glasses with real glass anymore.

As well, for some of the other comments being made throughout the thread, there is nothing in the article that says he was even drinking.  Not that I am taking any sides here, just being the good old devil's advocate.  It only states that he picked up a full can of beer.  Easy enough to grab a can that someone else has set down.  As well, he threw it in the direction of the guy, and it ended up hitting a wall.  We are only getting the portion of the story that is in the paper, and not the whole background etc.

My glasses are made of real glass and they are direct from the company that recieved the navy contract for glasses

As for fighting, well these things happen. The MS is clearly sorry for what he has done and with it being out of character maybe they decide to cut him a break. Its no different then the civillian legal system.

airmich said:
Think of how it looks to Joe Public though.  They mention at the very end about his $500 fine.  Seeing his yearly salary makes people realize that it is really only pocket change and it changes any view of sympathy that someone might have had for him at having to pay a fine.

The salary is MS Leblanc's, the fine is Martin's.

Still IMO, having the fine is BS.

Ex-Dragoon said:
My glasses are made of real glass and they are direct from the company that recieved the navy contract for glasses

Are they not 'Hardened Lenses'?  I thought all lenses that the military got were to be 'shatter proof', or was that just my 'OK' on the perscription?

Well to be honest I am unsure if my glasses or shatter proof or not, but considering the abuse they have gone through they are doing remarkably well lol

airmich said:

Sig_Des said:
The salary is MS Leblanc's, the fine is Martin's.

Still IMO, having the fine is BS.

Yeah, I thought it was a little strange to just throw it in there like that.  Especially noting the specific amount as if they knew exactly what incentive and spec pay if any he receives.
Gotta love the media!

The sailor involved is also getting his ass sued off by the guy he hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back